I forgot Callie's insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Callie & Patches, Jul 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I took Callie's BG (333), fed her the DM wet cat food and waited to give the Vetsalin until the food had a chance to get into her system because the Vet said the Vetsulin hit her too fast. While I was waiting, I sat watching TV while I was waiting for my meds to kick in (inflamitory arthritis) . The next thing I know, 2hours have passed. What do I do? Give her a full dose and partial tonight after 10 hours?

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I would just skip the AM dose and give the regular PM dose as usual. Vetsulin isn't long-acting, I know, but for safety's sake I would just skip it and continue on from there.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  3. Callie & Patches

I thought about that. Her BG is 392, her BG has been running high because she has a UTI. I feel so stupid about this. It's part old age and part disability. I keep telling myself that I can take care of a diabetic cat, but Now I feel that I have failed her.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  4. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Please don't beat yourself up about this! You have not failed Callie, mistakes just happen sometimes. It won't hurt her to miss one shot, and sometimes you are put in a situation where it is unavoidable. You are keeping her safe, that's the biggest part of this whole sugar-dance. Better to have higher numbers for a day than numbers too low for a second! I have every belief that you can take care of you diabetic baby! :bighug:

Ferndoc and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

How late can you shoot tonight?
    Do you know when the dose usually starts to wears off?
    If it tends to wear off within 8-10 hours, you could shoot a reduced (maybe half a unit) dose now and tonight, then pick up on time tomorrow.

6. Callie & Patches

I did give her half her usual dose. I think it lasts about 10 hours. I thought I would slowly move her shots back to where she was 8 & 8. I will check her BG in a little while.

BJM likes this.
  7. Callie & Patches

She seems to be doing OK, just being her lazy old self. All our cats are getting older, so they aren't as active as they used to be. Trixy is the most playful, she is 9 and is the youngest. We didn't plan on having so many cats, but the neighborhood cats spread the word of meouth that we were suckers for a sweet face. At one time we had 6 cats who all lived indoors.

8. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Glad she's doing ok! I understand where you're coming from. I too did not plan on having so many cats -13!

jayla-n-Drevon and BJM like this.
  9. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Cats are like potatoe chips. Who can stop st 1?
    :cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat:

Squalliesmom, DebG and Sharon14 like this.
  10. Debbie Do

Debbie Do Member

I use the stove timer for everything, because I am easily distracted and forget to feed, shoot, move the laundry from the washer to the dryer for three days...

Hijack... 13 cats here, too! (at last count) We seriously had cats bringing cats home. We rehomed dozens, and many of the ones left are the crazy ones that I wouldn't wish on anyone else... and I love every one of them! :)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  11. Callie & Patches

12. Callie & Patches

I use my cellphone to help keep track of everything in my life. The alarm tells me when to test, when to get up, when to feed nondiabetic cats and dogs. when to give Callie her UTI pills, when to let out the dogs, when to feel DH abd I and when to take my meds. If there is any time left over, I get do laundry, clean house and clean a litter box or 2./

Debbie Do and Sharon14 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.