I Guess I am Just Really Scared..

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ToddyTiger, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

I do want to apologize, I really hope I am not being a pain when I post. I am just really scared for Todd. I've had him since he was less than 8 weeks old, and since 2007, we have lost one cat a year. Panther had a stroke in 2007, in 2008 Nip had to be put to sleep because she had two aggressive forms of cancer, and Sylvester was put to sleep in 2009 at the age of 20 after a long battle with IBD. I just don't want to lose Todd right now. My family won't talk with me about it. They just keep saying "He's old" Like I shouldn't bother caring for him now that he is old. My husband thinks I'm crazy for spending money on what he believes is a cat that WANTS to die. He really did say that when this all started a couple of weeks ago. he said Sarah, Todd is old and I think by not wanting to eat, he is trying to tell you that he just wants to die. My vet laughed when I told her that, because she doesn't believe this. But at the same time.. they really don't seem to know what is wrong. Anyway...

So I thought Todd was doing a lot better. He seemed to be improving. He started eating and wanting food on his own and he seemed pretty hydrated, so I cut back on doing the Sub-Q. The pain meds make him rather loopy, so our vet said we could just not bother using it, unless we really thought he needed pain management.

So last week seemed to be going well. I started him back on 1/2 a unit of Lantus twice a day and all was good. However, last night he really didn't want to eat, so I skipped his insulin. Same with this morning. He also seemed rather uncomfortable in general last night, so I gave him half a dose of the pain meds, which calmed him a bit. I gave him fluids yesterday and this afternoon (just a few minutes ago). And of course, I gave him his appetite stimulant, which so far, hasn't made him really want food yet today.

I decided, though I really like our vet, that I am going to take him to a cat only clinic tomorrow for a second opinion. I can't afford tons of tests, but I thought maybe fresh eyes might see something that was missed.

I still wonder if it is Pancreatitis. He has some of the signs of it, so that is what our vet is treating him for.. and I thought everything we were doing was working. I guess I don't really know how long it takes for Pancreatitis to get better. a few days?.. weeks?.. a month?..

I was also worried that maybe it was CRF... but our vet did a full blood panel and said everything looked good. I would assume that would show up in the blood panel?

I was also worried he might have another Intussusception. He had one last year and that was $4,000 and a really hard surgery. However, he isn't having bloody BM's and vomiting like he did with that. So I am not as worried about that.

Now, I have 4 cats altogether, so it's hard to tell.. but I also have to wonder if he is constipated. I haven't seem him have a BM in a week, but since I don't spend all day watching the littlerbox, I can't be sure. In the past, from time to time, he would get constipated and I would just give him some pumpkin and he was good. But since he doesn't want to eat, I'm not sure how to fix that. I suppose the vet tomorrow will give me ideas.

Last thing.. Todd (as well as the others) are indoor only. We have a 2nd floor deck that overlooks the backyard. It's not terribly hot today, maybe upper 60's to low 70's. I decided I would let him sit out there for a bit, which he loooves. He likes to sun himself. So he was out there for.. I would say less than 10 minutes. I noticed his ears were redish and warm to the touch, which they were not earlier.. that would be from sitting in the sun, right? I shouldn't freak out?

And yes, after I take a shower in a few minutes, I am going to run up to Walmart and buy a glucose meter. I want to be able to check him at home.

Thank you all and again, I am sorry if I am being a pain. Just scared.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You are NOT being a pain. We all felt terrified at the beginning. So glad you are going to get a meter. Knowing what his blood sugar levels are will help you feel more in control of this whole thing and for at least that part of it, you will know what is happening.

Tip: Try the meter out on yourself first so you understand how it works before you try it on Todd. Be sure to warm up his ear because sometimes it takes a while for the ear to "learn to bleed" (or so it seems). Be sure you are aiming for the sweet spot. (Use a flashlight to see where the vein runs down the side of his ear; you are aiming for the capilliaries that come off that vein toward the edge of the ear.) When you find the spot, put a dab of vaseline there so you know where to poke. It will also help the blood to bleed up. Don't be disappointed if it doesn't work the first time. Give Todd a treat and praise, and then come on for some other ideas and tips. We all struggled at first, but it is such a good feeling when you get a number and realize you know what is going on!

Others have expertise with the pancreatitis part. They will be along soon.

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

For constipation, you can pick up miralax or lax a day or reversalax, at the pharmacy.
    Add 1/2 tsp to each meal, but be sure to add in some extra water. You should see some movement in the stool department in a day or so. Just adjust the amount as needed. If the stool is too loose add a bit less; if not seeing enough movement, add a bit more.
    You don't feel good if you are constipated and feel better after ... so will your cat!

I am not sure why you stopped giving the insulin, but without the insulin, you would get an increase in BG, and high BG will cause your cat to feel worse. Get a test as soon as you get home with your meter; ask if you have any questions at all as others will be able to help you with answers.

For testing, if your cat has pancreatitis, a test at the time will show that result, the test is fPLI. Having the test later will not tell you a thing; you need to have the test done at the time he is suffering. Pancreatitis is very painful so be sure to get pain meds from the vet if tests are positive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.