I have only posted once before and need advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kitty cat burton, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitty cat burton

kitty cat burton New Member

Hi this is kitty cat burtons mom Bonnie GEDC0857.JPG . We have been out of town for family reasons, my dad has cancer.
    that's why I haven't been able to ask you guys ?'s about Burton. Before we left the vet had put him up to 7 units 2 x daily. I never gave it to him. I kept him at 5, now I have lowered him to 3 units and he is drinking less water
    and seems to be more active. I have listened to what you on this site have done for your kitties, I have found him good canned foods and Priority brand by safeway oceanwhite fish and tuna is a good one, and one of
    his favorites. Now he has developed feline acne on his chin, can I use peroxide to clean his chin? It seems to be getting worse. We live in Montana I think his vet doesn't know enough because she kept upping his dose.
    I think he is doing better on the lower dose I give him. Am I doing the right thing?

2. Welcome back, Bonnie. I'm very sorry to hear that your dad has cancer, and my prayers for him and for your family.

Burton is on Prozinc, right? Have you been able to do any BG testing at home? If not, has his blood glucose been tested by the vet lately? It's good to hear he is drinking less and is more active.

And am I correct that he is only eating canned food now?

I am not sure about the acne but I'm sure that someone who has had to deal with that will be along soon to help.

3. kitty cat burton

Thanks for the prayers Carl. Burton is on Prozinc, and I have been testing his BG and its been much better, usually around 190-260.

It varies at different times I take it. I think he developed the acne from eating the canned food. He does get a little bit of dry food in between.

I am weaning him from it. He has ate dry food his whole life. He is getting used to the canned food. I need to take care of his acne now.

Burton seems to be a picky eater when it comes to canned food. Thanks for the reply.

4. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I actually used topical clindamyacin solution on my girls chin.
    They seem to get acne from plastic dishes. I don't know why but the only time mine got the lumps were when I was using an auto feeder ...
    it had plastic trays. It mght also be how much they stick their chin in their food.

If the cysts are sticking out enough, you could dab them with a qtip... dipped in alcohol sparingly.
    There have been some using hydrogen peroxide..... you just don't want them to be able to ingest it .
    Cats are so sensitive to everything.

You can also try warm compresses.
    The biggest/deepest one my cat had, my vet actually squeezed it like a zit.... and I used my clindamyacin on it. I changed dishes and it hasn't been an issue since.

KPassa likes this.
  5. kitty cat burton

Burton has been eating out of glass and ceramic bowls. I think the food gets stuck to his chin a little.

Where can I get clindamyacin? and what is it?

6. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Hi. Sorry to hear about your dad.

I don't have any experience of acne but my cat remi uses a steroid inhaler and the mask can cause problems with some cats. Once the acne has cleared could you wipe his chin after he eats with a warm flannel/ cotton wool? Just to prevent it reappearing.

With regards the insulin dose I don't have any experience with prozinc. The blood glucose numbers between 190 and 260 where these at different times through the cycle? If you are still transitioning over to wet Burton's numbers may continue to improve so make sure you keep testing him.

I think the clindamyacin is a topical antibiotic. I live in the uk so not sure where you can get this or if this is a vet thing.

7. mirnta

mirnta Member

I've always used hydrogen peroxide for my cats acne, I don't think I clean the bowls enough honestly...that really helps!

8. kitty cat burton

The #'s for Burtons BG were done about 3 hrs apart. My dad is going through chemo and seems to be holding his own right now.

Its hard for me to get Burton to let me take care of his chin. I'm going to keep trying. His acne needs to get better.

He is 19 pounds and has extra toes on each foot and has been trying to use his front ones to stop me, but I'm bigger than he is.

Thanks everyone for your help.

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you testing at home? If so, can you share some numbers? If not, can we help teach you how? Knowing what the insulin does in the middle of the cycle is a big part of the puzzle. Some cats drop low mid cycle and then bounce up for pre shot numbers. If you only have pre shot info, you think they are continually running high.

Let us know how we can help.

Here is the protocol we put together for ProZinc

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/protocol-for-prozinc-pzi.109077/

10. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Now that you have introduced yourself and your cat, how about joining us on the main Feline Health forum for further help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.