I might need some help, certainly some advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sieden, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sieden

Sieden Member

Sorry for the long read... I'll keep it short from here on out - I promise

For starters, don't rely on my sheet link for Peanut's numbers, I got lazy and stopped putting them in there a long time ago because I have another method that I use to keep track of it. For this purpose though, I can go back and insert the information for the last few weeks as soon as I get a chance. I wanted to post this as soon as possible just to get it out there but as soon as I hit "create thread", I have to take off and go Wal-Mart for a midnight run. That might sound shitty but I'm getting ready to move out on April 30th and I'm in panic mode because not only do I have a ton of sh!t to do at my place but a ton of sh!t to do at the new house and I'm basically doing it all alone. I want to scream and pull my hair out and now suddenly I'm afraid that Peanut is heading downhill. So now that I have all of my craziness out of the way, let me explain what has been going on.

Peanut was doing really good, not perfect but good enough that if I forgot a dose then I did panic. I do have depression and sometimes I just couldn't pull myself out of bed, I cry about it now thinking that maybe my inconsistency is what has caused him to get back into the high numbers but I am trying not to blame myself because as someone with depression, I know that I shouldn't do that no matter what, even if it is my fault.

For the last few weeks nothing that I try has brought Peanut's number down below 145. I feed Friskies Turkey & Giblets Dinner Classic Paté (1/4 can) mixed with Primal Raw - Chicken and Salmon Frozen Formula (4 nuggets) and all of that gets shared between 2 cats. The can has somewhere between 8 and 10 carbs but they are only eating about 1/8 of a can and the Raw food has only 2.5 carbs. Here is a link to the raw food
    Primal Chicken and Salmon
    Anyway, I think that diet is most certainly not the issue, I don't give treats or anything. Here recently in the last few days I have noticed Peanut drinking water like crazy as well.

Also I have 2 cats and they each have their own litter box. As crazy as it sounds they just chose to not use each other's boxes. The boxes are totally different shapes and sizes as well and I think that is why, and once they claimed "their" box that was it, they didn't switch but here lately Peanut is doing his business in Ginger's box. They are both male cats and both neutered. For Peanut to go into Ginger's box is even more difficult for him, it's a black, 50 gallon Sterilite storage container with a lid on it that I cut a whole out of on the the top. So it's like a GIANT top entry litter box. Peanut wouldn't go in it before because it was harder for him to jump back out of but now suddenly he's all about it, I don't understand. His urine is VERY concentrated and stinks too. He always pees in the corners which Ginger never does and now it's so hard to clean. BUT, I have placed 3 square containers in the corners that have packing peanuts in them. I'm hoping that he'll pee on that and I can test for Ketones. I tried to test earlier this morning from some of the wet litter but that was difficult because I use walnut litter. I just soaked the strip and wiped off the litter, I didn't see any color change at all.

As far as his insulin goes, I've been messing around with the dose to see if maybe I'm giving too much and I'm seeing a bouncing effect but I can't even get a read on that either. I'll catch up his sheet for the past few weeks and keep it current and maybe together we can figure this out because I am at a loss for what is going on. I do plan to take him to the vet, don't get me wrong but I think that this forum... with everyone here, all of the combined experience and whatnot sometimes knows a lot more than the vet does and that certainly proves to be true when it comes to my last vet (he almost killed Peanut). He'll be going to a new Dr. this time so that's why I want to also work closely here as well.

If you stuck it out, thanks for reading this far :)

Looking forward to a pleasant journey
    Erika "Sieden"

2. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

Julie and Eleanor (GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe you should have Peanut checked for a urinary tract infection. His urine should not be concentrated or smell that bad. An infection could make his BG stay up too.

3. Sieden

Sieden Member

Okay, thank you for letting me know that. I'm going to try to get him into the vet sometime next week. I need to call this new place and see what their availability is.

4. Sieden

Sieden Member

Oh I also went back and updated his chart to reflect the numbers from 3/14/2017 up till now. Please let me know if you have trouble seeing it.

Well I just realized that I'm off by an entire day lol. I have no idea where it went, I'll have to go try to figure that out.

Figured it out, in my original spreadsheet that I usually use, I posted 3/8/2017 twice which made me miss a day but I'm current. I'm going to slowly go back and catch it up so that it reflects the current date.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You're doing the right thing for Peanut by coming back, so welcome! :) You've been through the wringer with a lot of stressful stuff but we can help you get back on track. It does seem that Peanut has a UTI from your description of his urine and that can certainly affect BG. If you can get him seen by a new vet sooner than later that would be great. It might be worth asking a few questions about their experience with FD cats before you book so you don't run into another problem like you had with your last vet.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  6. Sieden

Sieden Member

Thank you for your reply, that was an excellent idea. I didn't even think to ask about their experience with FD and I should know how important that question is. I even took Peanut to another vet a few years ago just to get his rabies shot. This was at a time when I had Peanut well controlled and maintained below 100 consistently. I mentioned to the doctor that Peanut is a diabetic and we chatted about it briefly. I was telling him about how I tailor his insulin daily depending on his daily BG reading instead of keeping him on a steady dose. Even that Dr. told me that I should never give him insulin if his BG is 150 or less because that is what is considered normal FOR A DIABETIC cat. He said anywhere between 120 to 300 is normal, what a tool. Sometimes they just can't understand that not every cat remains a diabetic forever. But I digress... for now lol.

7. Kris & Teasel

I think what's most important in a vet when you have an FD kitty is a willingness to work collaboratively with the owner when that owner is willing to be hands on in the treatment. Vets are not accustomed to that so I think they default to keeping it too simple - and possibly dangerous. They might not rec0mmend the amount of testing we do, dose changing, etc. A vet that can see you know what you're doing and is willing to be more of a "background" resource is ideal. It's almost impossible to find one that knows as much as we do about testing/dosing as we do here on FDMB.

8. Sieden

Sieden Member

Since you mentioned that I was wondering what kind of specific questions I might ask. I'm going to start a new thread so that more people will see it and maybe I can get lots of answers but feel free to answer here too

9. Sieden

Sieden Member

That's a very good answer actually. I'm not sure how to ask a vet's office that when I call because it's almost like I have to come off in a way like I know more than they do or like "hey, I know what the heck I'm doing so do you?" lol If you can think of specific questions for me to ask I'm all ears for sure.

10. Kris & Teasel

Off the top of my head:
    1. Do you treat many diabetic cats?
    2. What insulin do you generally prescribe and why?
    3. How do you decide on the starting dose of insulin?
    4. Are you an advocate of home testing of BG?
    5. What food do you recommend for diabetic cats?
    6. Do you require in clinic blood glucose curves to be done?
    7. Are you willing to work with an experienced owner who is very hands on?
    Some of these seem trivial but give you a good idea of where the vet is coming from - eg. the question about recommended diet.

Squalliesmom and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  11. Kris & Teasel

I certainly understand not wanting to come off as arrogant or confrontational. Not a good idea! Some of what you need to know can only be found out in a face to face visit with the vet. It might be worth spending a bit of cash if you have it in your budget to visit a vet with your kitty as an introduction/interview kind of appointment. You could mention tactfully that you've had a bad experience in the past with your kitty's FD treatment and you want to learn about someone else's approach.

12. Sieden

Sieden Member

Oh yeah I didn't even think about the diet, normally I would think about that but I've been so stressed. If they said that stupid dry prescriptives bullshit I would hang up instantly.
    My last vet MADE me buy that alphatrak II after I kept telling him that I couldn't even afford the medication, I now use the Relion Confirm.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  13. Kris & Teasel

Well then, you need to be clear with a new vet that:
    • your budget is limited
    • you do home testing and can't afford nor see the need for in clinic curves
    • you feed him low carb wet food and that's what he likes
    • you use a human meter because that's what you can afford and you understand how to interpret its BG ranges
    • you track all your BG in a SS (show a copy)
    If you can convey all these things politely but firmly it should set the tone for your relationship with the vet. If he/she balks or gets on his/her high horse about any of them, that's not the vet for you.

14. Sieden

Sieden Member

As nice as that would be, time isn't on my side and neither is the cash. That usually the case anyway which is why most of the time he either doesn't get to go to the vet because his last vet cost an arm and a leg or I end up taking him to some clinic but I don't want to have to do that this time. I am hoping to find some happy medium, like not the cheapest guy in town but not a hole in the wall either.

15. Sieden

Sieden Member

Okay this sounds like a good place to start and a good tone. I have no idea why I couldn't figure that out on my own lol.

16. Kris & Teasel

I understand completely. I wonder if you might call around and ask whether a vet would answer a couple of general questions about his/her FD approach and say you need a new vet for Peanut but he comes with this issue? The worst that can happen is that the front desk will say no.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  17. Kris & Teasel

Easier for me because I'm on the outside looking in. ;) Could you do an online search of vet clinic reviews in your area before you book anywhere? Keep in mind that online reviews aren't always the best way to go. Do you have friends/family who might recommend a vet?

18. Sieden

Sieden Member

So far I've called 2 places and I've just said "yes hello, I'm looking for a new vet and I'd like to ask your doctor some specific questions about how he treats his diabetic patients". They took my number and said that they would have the Dr. call me back. I have a few other places to call but I had to stop and feed Peanut which brings up a new question. I was attempting to do a curve last night so he did go 12 hours without eating... he thought he was going to starve haha. I finally did see some movement in his numbers. I just tested him a few minutes ago and got 184. If you look since last night it was 307 and I had given him 1.5 units and then there wasn't much movement through the night then this morning, I see movement. I don't know if it's because he went so long without food or what. Now I'm sitting here not knowing how much insulin to give him. Originally I had planned on giving him 2 units because I thought that the 1.5 wasn't enough and now I don't know. What do you think? It's time for me to give it to him. What should I do?

19. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

20. Sieden

Sieden Member

Wow my first phone call did NOT go well, the receptionist just kept interrupting me and telling me that they couldn't answer my questions unless I made an appointment. The only question that she did answer was that they give prescription diet food.

21. Jill & Alex (GA)

Well, that doesn't sound promising, but giving them the benefit of doubt... maybe they were busy. :rolleyes:

Whenever I've looked for a new vet or doctor for that matter, I usually make an appointment to interview the vet/doctor in person before making a regular appointment. It costs a few bucks, but I feel like it's saved me both time and money in the long run.

I hope you're able to find a good vet soon!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  22. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Just curious why he went without food for 12 hours? Was that because you were doing the curve or something else?

23. Sieden

Sieden Member

24. Jill & Alex (GA)

Click on the blue font in the post: Vet Interview Topics
    Everything in blue font is a click-able link.

25. Sieden

Sieden Member

Because I was doing the curve, no other reason.

26. Sieden

Sieden Member

oh it worked that time, the first time nothing happened, thank you

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  27. Sieden

Sieden Member

oh yeah another answer that I got was about which insulin they would choose and which dose to start on. She said that each cat is different and you can't give a solid answer to that but it's primarily based on the cat's blood work which they couldn't determine without an office visit. All More Bullshit

28. Kris & Teasel

I see you gave him 1.5 u. I suggest you test a few times between +2 and +8. If he's dropped a lot at +2 he could have an active cycle. How's your supply of high carb wet food?

29. Yong & Maury GA

I though you are supposed to do curve with usual feedings so you know how insulin dose and his diet are working. Unless it's different for each insulin, I am not using Lantus.

30. Sieden

Sieden Member

I FOUND A VET... The Dr. personally called me and answered every single question and passed all of them and she was polite about it. I like her. I'll link their website
    http://www.felinemedcenter.com/

Squalliesmom likes this.
  31. Sieden

Sieden Member

32. Sieden

Sieden Member

none, my BF has some 20 carb dry snacks that he feeds his precious little angel and I have some sugar water on hand with a syringe ready.
    Edit: I am not okay with him feeding that dry ****, that's why we are breaking up and I'm moving my cats to a better place. I just want that to be known.

33. Yong & Maury GA

Should get a couple cans of HC wet food and Karo syrup or honey, just in case.

34. Sieden

Sieden Member

oh I have honey and I have my alarm set to test him in about 40 minutes. I'll keep an eye on him, he's my fur baby. I will get some high carb wet food when I go to the store next.

35. Yong & Maury GA

36. Sieden

Sieden Member

Thanks for that page. I used it have it on the fridge but it's gone now and I have it in his diabetic notebook that is 2 inches thick which would do me no good in a crisis so thank you. I didn't even think to look it up. I just posted his number it was 112. After his test I played with him (chasing the laser light) he wants to chase it and does chase it though not 100%, he just seems to not be feeling well in general. I know that something is wrong I just don't know what. He seems depressed and sleepy but this has been his overall mood for the past few days not just now.

37. Sieden

Sieden Member

okay I just read the page and I actually have some higher carb dry food that I've been hiding from Dan. I've been waiting for the perfect time to throw it away. If something happens then I'll give the honey and then feed some of the HC dry. It's tiny little pellets, and easy to eat. It's all that I have right now and I can't leave. I have suddenly gotten sick. The damn apartment landscape people were doing the grass today and I had to walk through it, I'm extremely allergic and I'm running a fever. I'm not going anywhere.

38. Yong & Maury GA

Oh no! Hope you feel better soon.
    Just next time you are out pick up some HC wet food. We use wet food because it works faster, dry food can take time to effect BG. If he goes low today we can make it work. Are you testing more today? Has he eaten anything else since breakfast? The 72 point drop at +2 kind of scares me because it's still like 4 hours til mid cycle. @Bobbie And Bubba @Sharon14
    You guys can probably help more since I don't use Lantus. Tagged you both from postings I've seen on the PZI thread :D

39. Kris & Teasel

You had a significant drop at +2 so it would be wise to start testing at +4 again to see if he's on his way to green.

Sharon14 likes this.
  40. Yong & Maury GA

I didn't tag you Kris because I pester you enough :smuggrin:.

41. Sieden

Sieden Member

Is there a specific HC food that you recommend because I've been into the LC stuff for so long that I don't know what I should give him, it seems SO foreign. Yes, I did also feel like the +2 was a large drop and I've been watching him constantly. He was just laying around not doing anything but as soon as I my eyes read "has he eaten anything" he started eating from his breakfast plate. He's not eating nearly as much as he usually does so I think that I will give him some plain LC canned instead of the can / raw blend and see if he'll eat any of that. I already have an alarm set to test him at +4
    Edit: yes, he's now chowing down on the plain canned food

42. Kris & Teasel

Any of the Fancy Feast or Friskies canned foods that have sauce or gravy work. You can also put a little honey into low carb food in a pinch.

43. Sieden

Sieden Member

Thanks, I know which ones you're talking about. And he's eating again while standing in the middle of his plate, so nobody worry about him starving lol

And thanks Yong, I'm allergic to everything so I'm sure it will pass

44. Sieden

Sieden Member

51 I'm feaking out

45. Sieden

Sieden Member

I gave him 1 tsp of honey and went ahead and gave some of the dry food, about a tablespoon so that it would help to keep the numbers up. I panicked, I was having to force the honey down his throat and he was fighting me. There's honey on my bed, on my shirt, he's upset at me, I'm crying. I hate this.

46. Kris & Teasel

Mix up a little honey with regular LC food to give next. You've just given honey and dry food. Wait 20 minutes and test again. If he's still low, give a small snack of the honey-laced LC. Wait 20 minutes, then test. Keep this up as long as he's low-ish. I have a guest here with me so can't sit in front of my computer but I'll check in.

47. Sieden

Sieden Member

Thanks for the advice. I will try it, might try mixing just plain sugar as well but I have a feeling that he won't touch the food if I lace it with either one, just a feeling. Thank you for checking in.

48. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Try mixing just a few drops of honey with about a tablespoon of wet food.

49. Sieden

Sieden Member

okay I will do that, thank you for the advice. All of it is greatly appreciated.

He ate the food with the honey in it :)

UPDATE:
    I did a 20 min check on him and his number is at 100

Kris & Teasel and Squalliesmom like this.
  50. Squalliesmom

Good! Don't give him any more food but test him again in another 20 minutes. We want to make sure he is rising on his own, without food-influence.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  51. Kris & Teasel

Good so far. I'm glad you have help.

52. Squalliesmom

Erika, can you get another test?

53. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey there and wow that was quite a drop. Anytime your +2 is the same or lower than the preshot number, it can indicate an active cycle. Glad you got him up again and as Lucy said wait 30 minutes after the last test and make sure he is staying above 50 . The honey will wear off quickly. When you retest and if he is dropping but not under 50, just give him some LC food to help him surf as he is approaching nadir and you don't won't to send him to the moon by overcarbing him.

Next time, if you don't have any HC food ( that would be any of the FF gravy lovers or any food that is 18% and higher in carbs ) you can just add a few drop of the honey into his LC food to boost him up.

Here is the new food chart from Dr. Lisa Pierson recently updated and you can look up other brands and see what the carb count is.

New Food Chart

I can't stress enough to you the importance of testing more often than just pre shot tests. If you will start posting over in the Lantus and Levemir forum we can help you with dosing as it looks like you are switching up the dose back and forth and that doesn't work well with Lantus. I am so glad that you were home today to test and catch this low drop. :cat:

54. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I just read the whole thread and you don't need to withhold food during a curve. That could be the reason he went so low today. When I did curves, I would time my meals so that they were not within two hours of the next test. SO glad that you found a new vet and they were nice on the phone to you. Good luck with them.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Sieden and Squalliesmom like this.
  55. Sieden

Sieden Member

Sorry that I didn't test very soon, I didn't know how often I should test so I was going to wait 40 minutes. I just got the test done and he's at 158

The only thing that I gave him after the tsp of honey was 1/2 of a TBSP of LC food with 2 drops of honey. He hasn't had anything else in at least 40 minutes or so and I'm not feeding him. He hasn't asked for food either.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  56. Squalliesmom

Okay, good. I would test him again in another 40-45 minutes, just to make sure he is not dropping.

57. Sieden

Sieden Member

already set the alarm ;)

58. Sieden

Sieden Member

204 was the last check

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  59. Squalliesmom

Great! I think you're good for the rest of the cycle, but you might want to check him again in an hour or so just to be sure. Great job, dealing with the low numbers!

As Bobbie mentioned above, changing doses too quickly is not recommended when you're using Lantus. This is probably one of the reasons that you are having trouble getting Peanut regulated again. Lantus is a depot insulin; you need to hold the same dose for a few days to see how well it is working. When we do dose increases ar decreases, we do it in increments of 0.25U, this makes it less likely that you will bypass the correct dose for your kitty. If you come to the Lantus and Levemir forum, there are several "stickys" that would probably be very helpful to you, and, if you post on that forum, there are lots of people with extensive knowledge of dosing with Lantus who can advise you. :):):)

60. Sieden

Sieden Member

I'm going to check him again at 6pm and if he's fine then I'll probably leave him alone until his night time dose which by the way, I guess I should maybe cut in half??? Perhaps that really has been the issue this entire time and he's been rebounding. I really honestly don't know what to give him tonight .5. .75? Do you have any idea based on what happened today?
    I did make my way over to the Lantus forum and said hello over there as per Bobbie's suggestion. I also read the stickies and plan to do some more research into the way that Lantus works. Thank you guys for all of the help today. I know that this fight isn't over, not even close but I'm not giving up.

61. Squalliesmom

It's difficult to know what dose to give him because there really isn't enough information in his spreadsheet to know what's going on with him. If he was my cat I definitely wouldn't give more than 0.75U, maybe even 0.5U. I would rather see him in higher numbers tonight than too low and at risk.

62. Sieden

Sieden Member

I totally agree plus I'll be asleep and I won't be able to help him. He's been getting doses between 1.0 and 2.5 sometimes depends on where I have seen his BG. I came home from vacation a few weeks ago to find him at almost 500 so yeah I gave him 2.5 units that day. But I think I'll start him out at .5 twice a day and see what happens. Thank you.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  63. Yong & Maury GA

Glad you were home testing, Erika :). I meant to come back to check in his +4 but got side tracked after Maury's lunch. It is a scary experience but it's a good one to put on your tool belt.

64. Squalliesmom

You are very welcome! I would suggest holding him at that dose for several cycles so you can see where it takes him, after all the bouncing is over (I have no doubt you will see some bounce from today's low). If you keep track of all his test on your spreadsheet we will be in a better position to give you help. ;) :bighug:

65. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I wouldn't drop it back that much.....I'd probably go with 1U and then hold that dose for at least 3 days and see how he does

Lantus craves consistency and does best when given at the same dose both morning and evening.

If you drop back too much, you could end up fighting glucose toxicity setting in and having to go back to an even higher dose before seeing any results

Squalliesmom likes this.
  66. Squalliesmom

Erika, Chris has been at this game longer than me, her advice is apt to be more on the mark than mine. I would go with her suggestion! :)

67. Sieden

Sieden Member

227 at 7

68. Yong & Maury GA

Remember, no food for last 2 hours before next pre-test :), So sounds like 1900 (7pm) is your +8 so pick up all food at 2100 (9pm)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  69. Sieden

Sieden Member

No doubt, I thought I was prepared until it actually happened

Squalliesmom likes this.
  70. Sieden

Sieden Member

okay if you think that's best then I'll try 1 unit twice daily. I just can't be testing all day long like I did today, that was way too much for the little guy. I can test every hour right around the peak time (about 6 tests just to be sure) but 12 that's too much. I'll do what I can. Let me know what you think.

71. Sieden

Sieden Member

Wait I thought it was supposed to be a 3 hour fast so that would be 8pm? Have I been wrong?

72. Squalliesmom

Two hours is what we usually recommend, and you don't need to have him fasting for curves, either. :)

73. Yong & Maury GA

2 hours is what we recommend. No need to test every hour either because that is a lot of pokes :)

Cross-posted with Squalliesmom :p

Squalliesmom likes this.
  74. Sieden

Sieden Member

okay and about the curves I was talking about the amount of pokes, poor guy. He's so wonderful and just takes it, he never fights me but I know he doesn't like it so I want to poke him as little as possible

75. Chris & China (GA)

If you can get at least 1 mid-cycle on the AM cycle and a "before bed" test on the PM cycle, that's really all that's required (well...not required but highly suggested)

You don't have to do a curve at all....although if you can't get at least those 4 per day, it's probably a good idea to get one at least once a week, but that's testing every 2 hours for 12 hours or every 3 hours for 18 hours

76. Sieden

Sieden Member

ok

77. Sieden

Sieden Member

I don't have any kids, I can't have any and after today's scare I feel like I am checking Peanut like a worried mother. I keep checking to make sure that he's still breathing lol. He's got me so spoiled.

78. Chris & China (GA)

Oh that's nothing new!! I know for the first year or two every time I looked at China, I wasn't happy until I saw her chest moving! Most of us are like that, especially at the beginning ;)

Yong & Maury GA and Squalliesmom like this.
  79. Sieden

Sieden Member

I went and got some HC wet food today. I got the Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  80. Chris & China (GA)

That's what most of us use!!

When it's time, what I do is pop the top, put it back down and then "squeeze" the gravy part into another bowl....it's messy but it gets the job done! The gravy is where most of the carbs are and you only want to give a teaspoon or two of just the gravy when you're trying to get their numbers up. When they've dropped too low, we want to bring them back up, but we don't want to "fill them up" in case we need them to continue eating later on

81. Sieden

Sieden Member

That's actually kind of what I was planning on doing, like pushing a spoon down on top of it to get some of the gravy out. I figured that I would get as much of the gravy out as I could and then give the rest to my other cat so that he doesn't feel left out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.