I Need Advice

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by G3rtrud3, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G3rtrud3

G3rtrud3 Member

I got Gertrude about a year ago from the shelter. Shes probably around 12 years old and shes overweight (weighting at about 15 pounds). When we first got her, she never pooped in her litter box, but she never pooped outside of the litter box room so it wasn't that big of a deal. Then a couple months ago, she started pooping in the family room, still not that big of a deal to my parents because i would just pick it up and flush it. About a month ago, she stopped using the litter box all together. She started peeing behind the couch all the time and in my sisters old bedroom. The smell got so bad, my parents had to rip the carpet out in her room and replace it with hardwood floors, costing them $500. I told me parents we needed to take her to the vet because in my research, every website said the vet was the first thing to do. My dad HATES cats so he was against it. He thought locking her in the laundry/litter box room would be fine, but Gertrude peed on the wall causing her urine to get soaked up into the dry wall. So we moved a litter box/food/water into my parents bathroom and we locked her in there over night and she peed in the litter box no problem. I thought moving a litter box into my room would be fine as it would be away from our other cat. That didn't work and she peed on my carpet so shes back to the bathroom. Now shes not peeing in the litter box in there anymore, she pees on her bed. I finally convinced my parents to take her to the vet where we found out that she was diabetic. They weren't happy and they didn't want to have to spend a bunch of money on the Lantis Insulin, but they bought it anyways. It is still being shipped at the moment so we haven't started her on her medication yet. My parents are getting tired of her peeing everywhere and they've gotton to the end of their rope. They want to take her to the vet to say bye bye forever any day now, they don't care about the medication anymore. I need advice on what to do. Where should I keep her until the medication arrives? What do I do about her food situation? (she only eats dry food, she refuses to eat any type of wet food, even tuna. And when we first got her, she had a horrible puking problem, so we finally found a dry food that doesnt make her vomit. My parents arent going to be happy if we switch up her food and she starts puking again) If she doesn't stop peeing everywhere even when shes on her medication, what do I do? I'm new to this and my parents aren't going to put up with much, they want her gone fast. I could really use all the advice I can get.

2. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

Hopefully, your parents will realize she is sick. I hope taking the insulin will help, if not there is a group that takes in diabetic cats. I am not for sure of the name of the group, maybe someone else will see this post and they will have more info. If no one else answers this post, next time ask for the name and how to contact the place that takes in diabetic cats. Please, tell your parents about this so they will not do something to a cat that can be helped. Sounds like you are too young to be able to take care of this kitty, but their is someone who could. When you adopt animals they are like people, they come with various problems. I hope you can get someone from Diabetic cats in need to take her, that is the name of the group. Post asking how to get in touch with them, for your kitty's well being. A cat will pee outside of the litter box when they are sick.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

4. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.