I need help with Friskies food selection???

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Skunky's Mom, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skunky's Mom

Skunky's Mom Member

Hi all.

I'm about to drive myself crazy trying to figure out the right food to buy my fatty cat. So, I look at the list of the low-carb Friskies.

A lot of them aren't available in the stores where I shop. Certainly not at Kroger. There's a slightly better selection at WalMart, but I'm not a fan of the place. There also seemed to be a better slection at PetSmart. I'm willing to go there if I need to.

But anyway. . . all of the low carb ones I can find have other problems, pretty much. I read that fish is bad. The whitefish, slamon, Mariner's catch, all low carb. But fish is bad.

We were pretty much exclusively on the Special Diet Turkey and Giblets, but somebody said it is very high in salt. Grrr. Also, Skunky doesn't seem to like it. Must not be very good.

And so many of them lead with "meat by products" which I have read scary things about. So, I'm working myself up about this way too much, I guess.

I will check out the 9lives selection at Kroger next time I am there. They don't have much at WalMart. Fancy Feast is too pricey. I'm super poor and am already spending a small fortune on test strips!

I may check out the Sophisticat at PetSmart. The original list of low carb varities I found seems to have vanished. I thought it was on this site. Maybe not. I did find another list, that is more extensive. I think I will print it out next time.

I try to get the lowest - the 3, 4, 5%. Is it ok to do 7 or 8%?

thanks
    sarah
    (who will hold off on posting her third topic of the evening b/c I don't want to go overboard ;-)

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Chemists say "The solution to polution is dilution" - so dilute the fat or sodium or carbs with some unsalted low fat meat or poultry.

Per Dr Pierson of Cat Info, you can add 20-25% plain poultry or meat to a canned food which will shift the balance of calories more towards protein, and (if you don't serve the entire mix, just a normal portion) reduce the amount of salt per serving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.