I think Billy may be falling off the wagon

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by billysmom (GA), Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

Billy's BG numbers have been running higher than normal the last couple of weeks. He's diet controlled and never on insulin. He's been running around 90-110 for the last nine months or so. Up to about 125 on rare occassion. Then a couple of weeks ago I got a 145 and then a 154. It dropped back down under 110. So I chalked it up to a minor pancreatitis flare. It's been ok until the last week. I got a 145 the other day so started checking daily. Sticking around 145 and today it was 165! Every time I think I need to take him to the vet he magically gives me a BG of 90 or something. I had him scheduled for an appointment for Monday since he's about due for his yearly checkup anyway and he's seemed a bit off recently... constipation, decreased appetite and a little wobbly. My vet clinic is also a 24 hr emergency vet so I can take him in any time but the vet he normally sees won't be in until Monday. I'll test him tomorrow and see how he is. I'm hoping it's something like dental issues causing this. For now I'm feeding tiki cat and ff.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Constipation can affect the numbers. Feline Constipation is a great web site where you can learn more about the feline GI tract and what options you have when something stops working.

3. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

Thanks BJM. I have looked at that site. He is pooping but on the hard and small side. I've tried squash, slippery elm bark (seems to help and with appetite also) cat nip in food and probiotics. He does an almost normal BM and I think I have it licked and then he produces something that looks like rabbit droppings (exagerating a bit :)). I believe his pancreas may be acting up. His symptoms are similar but not as bad... Not meatloafing or sleeping in odd spots. But a couple of weeks ago he did have that kind of pissed off look that I've come to associate with him not feeling great. Right now he's acting alert and no funny look. I think some fluids and B12 might help him but I'm not a vet.

4. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Linda and Scooter & Jack Well-Known Member

I just went thru this with Scooter last month. I took him in to the Vet because after over a year his numbers were up slightly. We found out he had an infection and treated him with clavamox. So perhaps a vet visit is what you need to see if Billy has a infection that could be affecting bg. Also I have another cat with pooping issues that were solved with one teaspoon of pumpkin in his wet food once a day after seeing the vet and clearing the original problem with medication. This may or may not help you but I can empathize with you frustration.

5. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

Thank you. I am indeed frustrated. I hope it's something simple. Billy is such a sweet guy.

6. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

Ok, this morning his BG is at 123. I'm not sure when he ate last because I left him over night and all his food was gone when I got home. That's good. Means his apetite has improved and he's acting more perky. So unless that changes it seems I can keep his Monday vet appt. and don't have to go sooner. Right now he's on my lap purring like crazy... glad mom's home.

7. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

I just went through the same thing with Dusty, he just stopped eating, wasn't really pooping, kinda wobbly and his BG at 95 when he's usually in the 50-70 range. I was giving him 1/6 teaspoon of pumpkin with every meal to prevent his intermittent constipation but then doing some research I read too much pumpkin can cause digestive distress and inflammation so I stopped giving him pumpkin thinking that was his problem. He immediately perked up and starting eating and is back to himself again after doing away with the pumpkin. I now just mix water in his FF to make it soupy and so far that's enough to keep him regular. So be careful with pumpkin, too much can cause problems too.

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Perhaps a daily 1/4 teaspoon of psyllium or Miralax would be helpful. Something to check with your vet.

9. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

Good idea. I will add that to my list of things to cover. Thank you.

10. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

118 today with food onboard. It's still higher than what he's been averaging but looks like whatever caused his jump has subsided somewhat. Looking good for vet on Monday.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.