IBD and diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sam Burke, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam Burke

Sam Burke New Member

does anybody have a cat that has IBD and diabetes?

2. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

Julie and Eleanor (GA) Well-Known Member

I saw your post in the Introduction forum and was going to suggest you post here.
    Yes, many of the cats here have IBD along with their diabetes. To be blunt, your vet is mistaken. Hold on and some one with more experience will be along to help you.
    Also, your cat has blood in its urine, did the vet prescribe antibiotic?

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Sam Burke

Sam Burke New Member

Thank you. He gave an injection as she has a water infection too. He didn't give much advise he was more or less hinting that she needs putting down. I've not been able to sleep through worry.

4. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

Many vets know very little about feline diabetes. It's so frustrating.
    You can use the search feature at the top of the page, search Irritable Bowel Disease and you will find posts regarding this.
    And again, someone who can help you will be along.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Sam Burke

Sam Burke New Member

Thank you so much. I feel better about the situation already

JanetNJ likes this.
  6. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Hi Sam, IBD and diabetes are very common and both very treatable. I didn't see your other post if there is one. Did you kitty have a biopsy done to confirm IBD or just diagnosed via symptoms. With your vet suggesting having your kitty PTS I highly recommend you find a new one ASAP. There are a few medications that are not steroids used to treat IBD if needed. My kitty is confirmed IBD via biopsy and I've never treated it with medication. He's been controlled via diet. I suggest you visit www.ibdkitties.net for a wealth of information and they also have a facebook page called IBDKitties.

Once you find a vet to prescribe insulin and start treatment this forum is the best place to be. There very experienced people who will help.

7. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

There you go Sam! Thank you Karen!

Sam Burke likes this.
  8. Sam Burke

Sam Burke New Member

Thank you for your help. We got her from an animal sanctuary and they told us she had IBD and told us she was on a special diet and had to have predicilone every day. I really appreciate your help thank you.

9. Doodles & Karen

There are other meds besides pred but if it's working for her than she can stay on it and still be treated for diabetes...you just adjust the insulin for her needs. However I'm willing to bet it was the pred that induced diabetes and if there is an alternative medication to try it's likely she can go into remission from diabetes with some insulin short term. No promises but we've seen it many times. This group can help you do that and if possible I'd ask for Lantus insulin.

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Sam Burke

Sam Burke New Member

Thank you for your advise. She is going to the vets for blood tests on Monday and il be letting the vet know everything you have told me. You have helped me a lot. I'll let you know what the vet says. Thank you!

Doodles & Karen likes this.
  11. Doodles & Karen

Best of luck!

12. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I don't know what the carb count is on the WD wet food, does anyone else know? I know some cats find limited ingredient foods better for IBD. there are low carb raw diets with limited ingredients that are good for both IBD and diabetes. I believe Wellness makes some, Nature's Variety, and Orijen.

13. Doodles & Karen

14. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I hope you are going to a different vet for the blood tests. Many vets get limited very schooling in diabetes and specific diseases.
    My kitty J.D. was diabetic for the last 9 years of his life and had possible IBD, so I also posted in the IBDKitties facebook page. Both that group and this forum can help you a lot. Sending good vet visit vines and :bighug: to you.

Critter Mom likes this.
  15. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Sam,

I'm very glad you found FDMB! I'm another member who would advise you to go vet shopping; the negative vet may not be able to do any more for your girl BUT that does not mean that there is nothing that can be done - quite the contrary. Many cats here have GI issues alongside diabetes and treatments are available to help both conditions.

Useful info here:

www.ibdkitties.net

Also, @Larry and Kitties has posted elsewhere on the forum that budesonide can be used to help the IBD and it may be less likely to raise BG levels than the pred.

Mogs

16. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Many of us use budesonide instead of pred because the side effects are minimal compared to pred as @Critter Mom mentioned.
    In my experience pred worked great but I almost lost my boy from heart failure from it.

Budesonide does have a loading dose and is not AS effective but effective enough that we can manage it.
    Good luck!
    :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.