I'm a grateful newbie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dana moore, Jul 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dana moore

dana moore Member

3 weeks ago I was given horrible news that my sweet Riley of 13 years was diagnosed with diabetes that developed from steroid injections due to Inflammatory Bowel Disease. His blood glucose was over 600, he had a severe UTI and was anemic. He almost did not make it.

I was sent home from the vet with instructions to give antibiotics daily and 3 units of Prozinc (insulin) 2 times a day. The vet wanted me to feed him WD Rx diet food. Riley came home and for first week it was touch and go, Riley wasn't feeling himself and wobbling all over the place.

I just knew I had to do something to help him but wasn't sure what. I got online and started researching and came across this awesome website. I immediately signed up.

I took in all the information slowly with lots of anxiety and started doing what NEEDED to be done. I went to Sams club and bought a glucometer, started taking Riley's B.G. numbers (it gets easier), started Riley on soft low carb food (slowly taking away WD soft and hard) and started asking question after question. I got so many responses quickly and they helped save my Riley's life a few times from hypoglycemia.

Only 3 weeks later from much needed advice, many of bloody fingers, and 3 anxiety attacks my Riley's blood sugar is down to 118 with NO INSULIN!!!

Cycle=point from 1 shot to next (12 hrs with Prozinc)
    Shoot=shot
    Nadir=midpoint (half point between cycles)
    AMPS=morning pre shot no food, no insulin B.G. number
    PMPS=evening pre shot, no food, no insulin B.G. number

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

That's awesome news! My vet says sometimes remission can happen that fast, but keep testing to be sure. I'm so happy for you! :):bighug:

dana moore likes this.
  3. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

I am so glad for you and your Riley, I literally fell into this group myself and they (the wonderful people here) have more than once saved Magellan as well. I as well have learned so much and continue to learn even more. :bighug::):woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

dana moore likes this.
  4. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

CJ went into remission in less than 3 weeks so I know the feeling! I never ever in my wildest dreams thought there was ever the possibility of being OTJ (Off The Juice/Off Insulin). CJ is on steroids and is still doing great off insulin. Diet really makes a big difference. Keep testing, even if Riley officially goes into remission (two weeks off insulin) since he is on steroids.

Keep up the great work!

@Julia Rae, Magellan's numbers are looking great! I remember Magellan's hypo episodes. You were a real trouper!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    dana moore and Critter Mom like this.
  5. dana moore

dana moore Member

What type of steroids is CJ on?

6. Julia Rae

I don't know Dana cause Magellan is my fur baby, CJ is Catma's...

7. Julia Rae

Trust me Cat ma.. I was peeing ice cubes the whole time, I am just soo glad you guys help me through it and hopefully Magellan will go OTJ.

Cat Ma likes this.
  8. dana moore

dana moore Member

Oh okay. What is Magellan on? Riley was 150 this morning so I gave him 1 drop. I counted 4 drops out from .5 units and let 3 out and gave him the 1 left. My husband is gonna watch him today for me to see what that one drop has on his BG.

9. Julia Rae

Magellan is on lantus bid .1 unit I like the way you do that I have been driving myself nuts eyeballing it. When he was diagnosed the vet had him on Novalin 3 units bid.

10. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

CJ is on prednisolone for lymphoma issues. When she went OTJ, the prednioslone dose was reduced as a precaution but her glucose #'s continue to be very good. Not everyone's cat that is on steroids goes into remission but there are quite a few that do with a change in diet. Every cat is different.

Budesnoide is usually a better choice than steroid injections for IBD.

11. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Magellan's got much smoother and lower numbers on Lantus than he did on Novolin. Hope to see you in the OTJ club soon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.