Im anything but relaxed lol

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by George&Bert, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

Looks like I'll be here for a while. Thinking of Lev bur no scrip from Doc Sooooo

Note...no curves..no chart...no regular testing

I would appreciate a direct answer on this please (tryin to be perlite)

My guy dropped an average of 150 points due to dose increase and diet..now

He is stuck in the threes from end to end

His dose started at 1 BID then 1.25 BID then !.75 BID for the past three weeks

Would you increase by .25 .50 .75 1.0 or leave it alone at 1.75 ?

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Its impossible for us to know without data to go by. It could be that his dose was raised too fast and now it is too much insulin, it could be that he needs more we have no way of knowing unless we have numbers to look at and be able to see trends and patterns because every cat is different.

Perhaps others will weigh in that have more experience with difficult to test cats, but I know I personally will not since I don't have the data in front of me to know what he is doing...he maybe rebounding or he just may plain need more.

Then there is the whole thing that vet stress raises BGs so without home testing I am not comfortable recommending any dose because I simply don't know what his numbers are when he is at home and relaxed as opposed to what he is when he is at the vet's for testing. And would hate to suggest a raise in dose only to have it be too much and have him hypo.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I'm not quite sure what help you want.
    I do know that you feed dry food and do not intend to change to wet, so that alone will mess with any BG numbers.
    Also, without numbers, I don't want to be recommending any suggestions.
    You mention that you are thinking of using Lev, but have no rx from the vet.
    Unfortunately, you neglect to mention what insulin you are using and you have no signature with the basic info.

To be direct, it would be dangerous to recommend anything more than the following:
    1. Diet change from dry to wet to be started.
    2. Home testing needs to become regular, daily.
    3. Spreadsheet with some numbers of testing, and notes on what food was fed at what times to be created.
    4. Signature to include insulin used and important notes on feeding dry

This size of drop is meaningless without knowing the number before the drop, at what point that number was taken, and the length of time it took to drop 150 points.

I have no idea what 'the threes' means, and do not want to guess.
    You could mean 300s in which case it's expected because you feed dry food.
    I have no idea what 'from end to end' means. If you mean from one shot to the other, where is the 150points drop?

Without knowing what insulin you are using, I cannot comment.
    By stating you started at one dose and then increased twice does not help without knowing how long was each dose held and what were the BG numbers on each dose, and finally why the dose was increased each time.

Based on the earlier noted missing info, I don't think a single person will give a suggestion for any sort of increase. What protocol are you following that would suggest an increase of 1.0 on a dose of 1.75, which is almost doubling the dose?

If you could provide the necessary data as requested above, I am sure some people will gladly help you with your decision making.

4. Anyname

Anyname Member

Hello, I feed my cat a little bit of dry. My vet is really insistent that LB has some gastro intestinal dry but I keep it to a small amount.

This forum doesn't pussy-foot around with people who don't follow the regime. I get very sorry for those who can't or won't try to do the basics that are required. I didn't do it right and my cat is now a permanent diabetic. You don't get much of a window of opportunity to fix your kitty for good. I am very annoyed with myself that I didn't 'get it' even though people were telling me over and over what to do. Sometimes our brains don't want to hear or can't hear or understand. I am sorry for their cats but sorry them too because I've taken that journey and I know that I really didn't get it the way I needed to. I am a people person as well as an animal person. My cat is looked after exceptionally well but I failed him.

It's a case of "pay me now or pay me later". I'm still paying for my inadequacies and will be for the rest of my kitties life. He takes a lot of time and effort every day. You can bring all this to a halt in a few months if you listen and take the advice from the pushy ones who don't sound very understanding but they are dealing with our incompetence on a regular basis. :roll:

Try to open yourself up to those willing to help you. Other wise you have to second guess how to care for your cat pretty much on your lonesome. :cry:

with the best of intentions... Marilyn

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Marilyn,
    There are no guarantees, and to say that if you stick to so and so protocol, your cat will go OTJ.
    I would not be saying that I did not listen and so it's my fault that my cat will be on insulin forever now.
    If your cat were to have permanent damage to the pancreas, your chances of OTJ would be lessened even if you caught the diabetes quickly.

We all do what we can for our cats, no guarantees come with anything.

6. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I have to add in that mocha was diagnosed while she was on dry (surprise, surprise) but we quickly changed her to wet .. she was STILL diabetic, even after nearly two years .. We had given up hope of ever being OTJ .. but you know what? We just celebrated one year OTJ back in March .. so never say never! :D

7. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

I have been increasing..but..slow..Mattilda starting with 0.5 units BID to now 1.0 unit BID and her pre-shot is always around the low 300's, high 200's. last night her pre-shot was 130. So, i let it ride to see where it would be this morning and it was back to the threes twelve hours later.

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Could you give us a few days' list of some of the glucose tests as
    Date
    AM preshot
    PM preshot

It would help us see a bit better what is going on.

In my signature block are some options for secondary monitoring tools to help assess the health of your diabetic cat. There are approximate indicators, in that they are mostly indirect indicators. They still may be valuable to help you determine how well you are controlling the diabetes. For example, if there are large lakes of wet litter in the box in 1 day, chances are very good that the diabetes is not controlled.

Dose adjustments to Lantus should be made in very small increments if you aren't able to get preshot and mid-cycle tests on a regular basis. Also, they should be made no more than every 5-7 days and should be made based on numbers at the nadir, the lowest value in the 12 hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.