I'm back...with Miss Rugs...

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ruthe and Smokey (GA), Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruthe and Smokey (GA)

Ruthe and Smokey (GA) Member

Niece to my Smokey...diagnosed today...it has been 2 1/2 years - hope I can still do this! I am going to get some new strips and start testing. I really felt comfortable with Levemir after everything else we tried, so that is going to be where we start with Miss Rugs. Still trying to gt my head around this...oy!

Ruthe and Miss Rugs (who still doesn't know what's up!)

2. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Hi Ruthe! I suppose treating FD may be a bit like riding a bicycle, you never forget.

I'm sure you have the standard stuff like diet covered. How long did you use Lev with Smokey?

What do you need help with this time around? Any other complicating health issues for Miss Rugs? How'd she get her name?

Introduce yourself and Miss Rugs, we have some new members round these parts.

3. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

Hiya Ruthe -

I say this with all the kindness in the world - sorry to see you back here.

Yes, you can still do this and look, you have an entire support team here to help you. I don't think it's a matter of testing again, like Vicky said, it's like riding a bicycle, but the idea that you're going back down this road. Put a helmet on, the road gets bumpy but in no time you'll remember the twists and the turns.

Have you been able to get your hands on some Lev? Have you tested yet? With Miss Rugs being new to testing you might want to use a rice sock initially and don't forget the treats as a reinforcer.

Let us know how it goes.

Oh and hi, I'm Michele : )

4. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Hi Ruthe--sorry Ms Rugs got the diagnosis, but it's nice to see you back. I'm sure you'll have her comfortable with the new routine in short order.

5. lynda and scruffy (GA)

lynda and scruffy (GA) Member

Hi, Ruthe!

[​IMG]

Welcome back - sadly.... I remember your Miss Rugs' name. I hope that she's a less challenging diabetic than your wonderful Smokey was.

Did you post on Health to say that you're back? I'm sure that there are a TON of people who will be glad to know that you're still up and kicking. (Or should that be, up and SHOOTING?)[​IMG]

(I heard a commercial today for some fancy/schmancy new test strips - "golden blue" or something like that - that One Touch has now developed, and they're offering a free meter and 10 test strips; might be worth checking their website?)

lynda and scruffy

6. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Ruthie. I posted on your Health thread.

7. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Ruthie, oh my dear friend, it is good to see you but not under these circumstances! Hopefully this is a passing thing with Miss Rugs. You will get his under control in no time I am sure. You are no stranger to all this.

I hope Miss Marie is fine and doing well.

Stole this from your post on Health....

"Miss Rugs is 15 and has no other health issues. Her kidneys looked a little bit small on the xrays and her intestinal wall looked a bit thicker than it should be, but only her blood glucose was out of whack. She has lost some weight and I noticed that her spine felt bony. She was helping me open cans of food which set my mind thinking...I really thought it was going to be something kidney related, never diabetes. Cats are on the same diet I started them on when Smokey was diagnosed in 2005, so nothing to switch there. They are free feeders but so was Smokey and we made it work. Will get her picture up here as soon as I can figure out how!"

Maybe she is hyper-t (as Sheila mentioned on Health) and not diabetic or is borderline? Since she has been on wet food it could just be that since it is not dry food induced, plus some of the other symptoms. Hyper-T can look like and bring on symptoms of diabetes.

How is she doing otherwise?

Again, so nice to see you. What do you think of this new board? Quite a change, isn't it?

Pamela

8. Melissa&Paul-Kyle

Melissa&Paul-Kyle Well-Known Member

Hi! Welcome to the Lev board- sorry you have to be here, but glad to have ya!

Look forward to your future posts and hoping this FD dx might be short lived and answers found elsewhere as HyperT has been mentioned.

(((hugs)))

9. Shelly and Spaceman

Shelly and Spaceman Member

Hi Ruthe,
    I just came back this week too! this time with Feeburt who is not in any way a blood relative of Cosmos.
    Waht is up with these cats. It's like they discussed it and decided that they enjoy getting poked in the ear. Needle junkies! But I love them!

10. Shelly and Spaceman

Shelly and Spaceman Member

BTW. I fell right back into the routine of it all. Old hat..new cat. You will be fine. If you need anything I have a couple of extra meters. I never gave away Cosmo's supplies. I didn't even have to buy syringes or test strips.
    I can not believe that I am back. I thought "no way will any of my cats get this again. I feed them the best of the best." I guess the occasional french fry did Feeburt in. Lesson learned.

11. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Hi Shelly! I always hate to say welcome back because of the circumstances, but I'll just say it is nice to see you! I hope your new diabetes journey with Feeburt is a short one and once his infection clears you can get him on the road to remission.

I see you are posting in the Lantus ISG. They can give you lots of help as you have already seen. Just as a reminder, don't forget to check for ketones with that infection and those high numbers.

12. Ruthe and Smokey (GA)

Ruthe and Smokey (GA) Member

Feels like home being here for sure. I am so glad to see so many familiar peeps and kitties! It was very hard for me to come back here after I lost my handsome little man Smokey, but I am so grateful that I knew where to come with this diagnosis.

I have been testing Rugs and she is handling it pretty good...just spot checks at what will be her preshot times (lowest so far was 374 this morning...highest was 414). The first time she didn't even blink. Even followed me around afterwards looking for some neck scratches! She isn't a touchy feely cat so her change in disposition is amazing. She had a few health issues years ago and also got friendly (meaning she wouldn't run under the bed or spit at me) as though she was trying to tell me "I'm sick" - which turned out to be a good thing when she had pyometra and we almost lost her! My Costco will have her insulin tomorrow and I will take it shot by shot.

Thanks for the warm welcome back!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.