I'm Clueless About What Home Testing Meter To Get

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by alilblu, May 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alilblu

alilblu New Member

I apologize in advance because I'm sure there are a gazillion questions like this that have already been answered. However, considering that companies are always changing their products to force people to buy the newer updated version, I thought it would be ok to ask this.

I need a meter for home testing and would like to know which one I should get. I want something inexpensive, but not so cheap that it is unreliable. I'd like something that probably won't become outdated because I'd like to be able to use it for a long time (I hate this throw away society we live in). I could probably get something for free (I found a coupon somewhere), but it could take weeks for me to actually get the meter in my hands. I need something now.

Any suggestions? It might be best to use whatever is most commonly used by people here. Unfortunately, I don't have high speed internet and don't really have access to faster internet at this time, so researching online could take days. So any help you all can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

A lot of people use Relion meters from Wal-Mart. The Relion Micro and Relion Confirm are popular. I use the Relion Prime. It's okay, but it takes a larger blood drop than the others. I wouldn't recommend it for that reason.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My fave is the Alphatrak pet meter, but it's far from cheap. Lol. Most get a human meter such as Walmart brand Relion micro or confirm. (Not Prime only because it takes larger sample)

4. alilblu

alilblu New Member

So what do I need to buy to go with the Relion Confirm? I was at Walmart but didn't know what went with it so I left. There was only a box of test strips that looks like it can go with both the Relion Confirm or the Micro. Is there anything else I need?

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

The test strips definitely, I bought Relion Confirm Plus/Micro Plus 100 count. You will need lancets, I use 28 gauge, I do not use a lancet pen, I want to see exactly where the point of lancet goes in and l want an angle to reduce any pain. A container of Vaseline, or store brand Wal-Mart Equate, a tube of pain relief ointment Neosporin or Equate, cotton balls or rounds. And treats for all tests successful or not, that's treats for both of you!

6. JanetNJ

1. Relion micro or confirm
    2. Box of 100 extra test strips
    3. Box of 100 26 or 28 gauge lancets
    4. Cotton cosmetic rounds
    5. Neosporin ointment with pain relief
    6. A treat for you

I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

Maggie539 likes this.
  7. alilblu

alilblu New Member

What the heck is a lancet (I'm going to look that up now)? I did not see any lancets with the test kit. Is it typically beside it or in the same section? I think the box for the Confirm mentioned something about a drop of something for a control. What's that about?

I can't watch videos. Rain pretty much took out my internet, I'm lucky I can still get online. I don't have a smart phone.

A treat for me? I like that. I'll look for something involving rum. :D

8. Idjit's mom

Rum is good! But only after all the serious stuff is done :p. A lancet is like a little tiny sharp nail in plastic so you can hang on to it. You use it to poke a hole in the edge of the ear, in the " sweet spot", so you get that little drop of blood to test with the strip in the meter. There is information about testing in another forum Health Links/Facts about Feline Diabetes. It's 2 down from the forum we are in. Go there, select the top sticky ( yellow tag) look down the list, select Home Testing Links and Tips. It's instructions and pictures.

9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

This is a lancet....they come in different colors, sizes and gauges
    [​IMG]
    At first, it's best to use 26-28 gauge instead of 30-33....the lower the number, the bigger "hole" it makes. Once the ears "learn to bleed" (by growing in more capillaries) you can use the smaller ones

10. alilblu

alilblu New Member

Cool, thanks! I understand now.

What about the control solution that's mentioned on the side of the box? That's what confused me earlier. Is that something I need now or is that something I need after a few years?

11. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The Confirm doesn't need the control solution...it's a "no code" meter

The only time anybody uses it is if they think their meter is wrong, but there are other ways to test...like testing yourself or re-testing the cat.

You have to call the Relion company to even get it...it's that un-necessary most of the time!

12. JanetNJ

I literally only used the control solution twice. It is a small bottle of liquid. Looks like a drop of blood that you can use on the test strip to see if the meter is testing within certain numbers (accuracy).

13. Tyler123

Tyler123 Member

Is there any advantage using a pet meter over a human one?
    I understand the human meters read lower, but which one is more accurate?
    Someone has recommended that i use a human one instead of my current Alphatrak 2....
    They said the Alphatrak could fool me into thinking that my cats BG is high enough for a shot, but in reality, it isn't.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  14. JanetNJ

Alphatrak is the same meter your vet most likely uses. It is more accurate esp at higher numbers. The downside is that the strips are way more expensive. Either type of meter will show you if your cat is high or low. Normal on a human meter is 50-120 and on a pet meter it's 68-150.

15. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I use BD lancets because I've broken all my fingers and my wrist more than once. They're a little bigger, same idea as the fat ballpoint pens some people use.
    bd_lance01.jpg

16. Tyler123

Tyler123 Member

At the moment, i divide any reading on my Alphatrak by 18, to understand the figures that i learnt in the UK.
    If i switch to a human meter, would i still divide by 18? And if so, that in turn, makes the 50-120 look really low, especially if it was at 50.

17. JanetNJ

Yes you would. I believe you can have the alpha show results in world numbers so you don’t have to do calculations. Check the settings section in the manual.

18. Tyler123

Tyler123 Member

I read the manual over and over when i first got it! Nowhere does it let me change the settings. :(

19. JanetNJ

Ah you are right. Outside the US is should be preset for world readings though.

Our spreadsheet template has a tab that automatically converts between the two measurements

20. alilblu

alilblu New Member

Alright! That was easy. I got blood on the first try. The results are 376 mg/dL. So is that the actual result or do I need to add/subtract/convert to get the actual result (for a cat)?

Now is it time for rum? :D

21. JanetNJ

No need to convert anything. Great job getting that reading! Definitly rum time

22. Idjit's mom

Congrats on your first BG test! You use Relion, right? That's the BG number. I would like to see you get a little more set up, make your signature so we can see info about your kitteh. See the light grey type at the end of my post? Go to your user name in the top right hand corner of the page and select it, then a menu will appear, select signature. It's helpful to know at least your general location, for time zone info help. Also there is a spreadsheet we use to record insulin doses and BG tests. We link it to the signature and it's very helpful if you have issues and need help. Any member can look, and you don't have to keep repeating stuff. Someone can help you set that up if needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.