I’m new here

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by J. Mathis, Nov 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J. Mathis

J. Mathis New Member

My sugar baby is named Pepper. She was diagnosed diabetic a month ago and I am scared for her. I too am a diabetic but just not sure if treating her is the same as I treat myself. I will have questions soon. Thank you all for helping me to not feel alone in this challenge to keep my baby around. All info and advice will greatly be appreciated.

2. Sylvia Sheaffer

Sylvia Sheaffer Member

Hi J Mathis: My sugar baby is George and I'm Sylvia S. Many, many people on this site suggested that I home monitor George. I asked my Vet. about testing George at home. She said, no. If you know your cat well, and I do, you can use a home monitor, which runs lower than a pet monitor. I am NOT STICKING MY CAT MORE THAN NECESSARY. George was diagnosed on Sept 6, 2019, with a blood glucose of over 600. He started out on 3U of Lantus, and this past week, Vet. lowered it to 1U every 12 hours. I knew that 3U of insulin was too high. I rushed George to the Vet. last Wed. Blood glucose was 38. I didn't even call the Vet. I had given him 3U. Just got George and l left. He was looking up at the ceiling, head bobbing, and totally disoriented. George is doing fantastic on 1U of Lantus every 12 hours. I previously had a diabetic cat, and at that time (at least 40 yrs. ago), Vets. were only dispensing insulin every 24 hours. I notice a positive difference giving insulin every 12 hours. Do NOT LET THE VET. START YOU AT 3U. TOO MUCH. YOU CAN ALWAYS GO UP ON THE INSULIN AMOUNT. DO NOT GIVE PEPPER ANY MORE DRY FOOD, UNLESS IT'S TIKI OR ORIJEN. They NEED ALL WET FOOD. AND, I'm lucky, because all 3 of my cats LOVE soft food. Only George is a diabetic. Lucy, Bailey and myself, (non-diabetics) lives' have been turned upside down. I don't get cats to save their lives at the Humane League, just to find out bad news. I'm in this for the long haul, because I love all 3 of them so much. I have also had 3 cats that had cancer. One, large cell lymphoma, another, a Siamese, who had Apocrine and mammary cancer, and another Lilac Point Siamese, who had Carcinoma if the Trachea. I sincerely don't know if I would EVER PUT ANOTHER FELINE THRU CHEMO. NOT GOOD. I guess it would depend on what type of cancer, and how much it spread. Feline Diabetes is VERY similar to human Diabetes. Like I said, the human monitors are good. They just run lower than a Pet Monitor. I'd much rather see George w/ a higher blood sugar than low. My # is: phone # removed to protect privacy, if you would like to call me.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2019
    Reason for edit: Phone # removed to protect privacy
  3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to FDMB.

There will be any number of similarities between human and feline diabetes. The most helpful thing is to realize that you are a veteran at treating your diabetes and that knowledge will serve you well. You know diabetes is treatable.

Please join us on the Health board, say a few words about your cat and help. us get to know you.

FYI - Sylvia left her phone number for you in her post above. I removed it so that some of the spammers who occasionally show up on the board don't start calling her. If you want to respond to her post, click on her photo and then click on "Start a conversation." This will open a post in the Conversation area and you can ask for her phone number at a part of the site that is completely private.

4. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome. Hope to see you in the Health Forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.