I’m new to this and I am trying to figure it all out.

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sonia, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonia

Sonia New Member

Have been trying to stabilize cats BG for almost a month. Initially took her to vet ER cannot afford now/yesterday gave 1 unit was 0.5 2x a day based on curve from last MONDAy at vets her BG dropped to 61 with 1.5 in am and nnothing admin in pm/then gave .5 2x a day noticed this past FRiday drinking a lot/bought home Track2 took BG it was 483 at 10:30am, 443 at +3 hrs, and 269 at +9 hrs this am569 at +11 hrs. She ate very little maybe a cup of dry. She was not eating so let her eat that.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2018
    Reason for edit: Removed 911 prefix. Received advice and not a medical emergency.
  2. Sonia

Sonia New Member

That was 1/4 cup of dry

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Sonia, and welcome. It's great that you're home testing! That's such an important step in caring for our kitties around here!

What type of dry are you feeding? I'm asking because the percent of carbs in a cat's food has a huge impact on their blood glucose (BG). In fact, it's probably the single most important factor in helping our cats heal.

It sounds like the 0.5u might not be enough insulin, but don't change the dose just yet. First, can you set up a spreadsheet? We have a handy dandy one already made that does all of the color coding for you. If you click on the blue text in my signature, you can see what one looks like, and then if you click on the link below, you will have all the directions for getting your own all set up. If you have any trouble with it, just ask and we can have someone help you.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Finally, can you go up to the top and edit your title? We only use the 911 for emergencies like when a cat is having a hypo episode, or ketones, or something like that. When we see those red 911's, we all panic a little bit. :)

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Part of the problem is the dry food. Which dry are you feeding? Only a select few are OK for a diabetic cat. Can you set up a spreadsheet so we can see the trends better and give you better dosing advice?

If you have trouble setting it up let us know and someone can help you.

5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Sonia! Djamila gave you some great advice and suggestions, so I'll just echo that we'd be happy to help you more if you set up our spreadsheet. It makes it a lot easier for us to see what's going on and give advice. :) I know you've got a lot going on and you're worried, but we're definitely happy to help you get your kitty into more regulated numbers!

6. Sonia

Sonia New Member

Thank you. I’ll get this all up to speed soon.

7. Sonia

Sonia New Member

Thank you much for your knowledge and support. Long story but my vet is part of the panic causer. I am grateful for your help. I’ll get up to speed soon

8. Sonia

Sonia New Member

It was friskier in door, but she lost so much weight from 11 to 8 lbs. she had not been eating and she’s not obese. When took her almost a month ago. She then got a bladder infection and maybe the clavomox caused her to throe up because she wasn’t eating again. She has gotten fluids, and appetite stimulant and anti-nausea pill. Its been a long month and glad I found this forum. What dry goods are good for diabetic cats ? Today she misty ate canned tuna.

9. Djamila

Wet foods are best for cats because dry foods make them dehydrated. Any chance you could get her to eat Friskies Pate-style (Mixed Grill, Poultry Platter, Mariner's Catch, etc.) or Fancy Feast Classics? They are low enough in carbs to be okay for our sugar-cats, and not too expensive.

The only dry food that's really low enough in carbs is Young Again Zero which you order online (it's not sold in stores), but again, dry food is bad for their kidneys, urinary tract, and other organ functions so if there is any way you can get her on canned food, that's the best.

If she's a grazer and likes to eat throughout the day, it's fine to leave out canned food. If you live in a warmer climate we can give you some tricks to help keep it fresh longer.

10. Djamila

PS Don't let your vet panic you. We can help you get this all sorted out without a zillion dollars in vet bills!

Tina and Gracie (GA) likes this.
  11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Ok so Friskies Indoor food is a little over 39% carb. You want to keep the food under 10% carb.... And under 7% is even better. Basically you've been giving her cookies. Lol.

My favorite diabetic friendly dry is Young Again Zero... Specifically I feed young again zero mature limited ingredient. This can only be purchased online. Don't let the high price scare you.... The food is nutrient dense and high in calories so they eat much less of it then regular dry cat food. A serving size is about 1/3 cup per day. That's it. A 4lb bag lasted me 2 months with just one cat eating it IN ADDITION TO WET FOOD. They will send you a free sample of the Young Again Zero carb if you ask for it. This food is about 1% carb. Www.youngagainpetfood.com

Another option is Wysong Epigen 90 at 5.3% carb. They send samples too, although sent me samples of about 10 varieties that weren't epigen 90. Lol. Tasty food all my cats eat and not crazy expensive. Again lasts longer than a grocery store brand. You can get the samples from their website or order the food from chewy.com.

Some feed dr. Elsley's Clean Protein chicken flavor. It's supposed to be around 4-5%. You can get it on chewy. Personally I prefer the other two but your cat will decide what is willing to eat. They also send out a few sample if you ask.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.