I'm so confused... No insulin yesterday, but...

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Amanda and a Loudogg, Jul 4, 2017.

  1. Amanda and a Loudogg

    Amanda and a Loudogg Member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2017
    Good morning all!
    My cat Lou is having a strange couple/few days. It all started Friday night when his PMPS was only 205, which at the time was his lowest preshot BG value yet. We had lowered the dose, but we were staying in a hotel, so we were unable to monitor overnight. Saturday's numbers seemed to indicate that he was bouncing, as he was higher than normal. Nothing overly weird so far....

    Now on Sunday, he broke his previous record for his AMPS in the mid 100s, so we did not give him any insulin. Later he seemed around his normal PMPS, if not a bit higher because of the stress of the random fireworks. Monday; however, he was in the green for his AMPS!! In fact, his BG was within normal range for the majority of the day. Ultimately, he didn't have any insulin yesterday at all. Finally at 0100, he got close to 200, but still in the blue. This morning he was at 190, but I still didn't feel comfortable giving him insulin since he was under 200 and he had stayed so low and steady yesterday.

    I am so confused by my buddy Lou's BG lately! I thought perhaps I should have given a token dose, but I just wasn't sure considering how he reacted with the dose at 205 BG. Have any of you experienced anything similar, particularly those who have gone into remission?
     
    Monica Lewis likes this.
  2. Yong

    Yong Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2017
    These are good signs, Amanda! I think :smuggrin:. If you are around to monitor when he gives another BG over 175, you could try the tiny dose or 0.25U or skinny 0.25U. Looks very good but he may still need a teeny tiny bit of help. I've read by doing this it can make for a more solid remission :). I'll tag @JanetNJ to have a look since her CC went into remission ;)
     
  3. Amanda and a Loudogg

    Amanda and a Loudogg Member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2017
    I was hoping they were good signs, but the higher number this morning threw me. Stupid or nay, I just couldn't decide what to do for insulin. Part of me wants to see how he would do without the insulin, but then the other part of me doesn't want to rush things. Although simultaneously, I worry about him going too low. Basically I absolutely couldn't decide this morning, so I just did nothing. After reading your post and testing him at "+5.5", he was at 214, which obviously isn't ideal for midday. I took a risk (and perhaps stupidly) decided to give him 0.5 i/u insulin at 1213. I'm figuring on just giving him one shot for the day and "start over" with the BID as needed tomorrow. I wanted to get his BG back into blue range at the very least.

    Moral of my story is I finally got my bearings and I felt comfortable with Lou's dosing, feeding, and overall progress. I really don't like being back in unchartered waters and ultimately, I really don't like feeling so bloody uncertain. I'm beyond hopeful that he may be heading towards remission, but I don't want to get my hopes up or even rush things and ruin them. So, I feel like I'm at a possible impasse and I just want to get us all through it with the least amount of damage possible.
     
    Monica Lewis likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

    JanetNJ Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2016
    I think if he's over 130 you should give him a tiny dose (provides you can monitor), and definitely over 150. He's working toward remission. Look at my ss to see what I did at the end just before remission. Remember that normal for a human meter is 50 to 120... The more time under 120 the better.
     
  5. Yong

    Yong Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2017
    It's like the beginning and endings of insulin therapy are scary :smuggrin:. Since you gave him a dose at 12:13 today, mid cycle roughly, (true, not recommended) but you'll probably have to skip tonight completely and resume your 06:45/18:45 schedule (I think) Wednesday. Unless you can work with the 12:00 / 00:00 schedule and if he needs another shot, do your routine for midnight.

    Extra patience pants for what could be the later part of this marathon :bighug:
     

Share This Page