IMMEDIATE ADVICE NEEDED!!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and little, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

What should be a good report is freaking me out beyond belief. Littles AMPS is 125 at 8:30 am -regular food and shot time. I am leaving for a week on business at 11:30 am today and based on running numbers was leaving cat sitter instructions to shoot at the same 3 units 2x daily based on past readings. NOW WHAT?????? i am shaking! I did not shoot this AM and don't have a clue what to do or how to instruct for the next week. PLEASE HELP! I am a puddle

2. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

1). Breathe! :bighug:
    2). Does you cat sitter know how to test?
    3). We left Josie for a week a couple of weeks ago and had the cat sitter shoot 2/3 of the normal dose for safety ... maybe that’s an idea to consider.

Hoping someone else will chime in.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Deep breaths! I suggest a dose reduction to 2 u for the week you're away. That should be low enough for safety. Will you be communicating with your sitter regularly? I assume he/she won't be testing so you'll have to go by reports on clinical signs. This is really tough when you have to hand off to someone else.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Are you still at home? Did you feed yet? I would suggest getting another test to first of all confirm that this test was accurate, but also to figure out if she's rising. It's possible that the last dose is just lasting a little longer than usual. We just had daylight savings time, so their little bodies are going to be a bit messed up for a few days, just like ours are.

That being said, I do agree with Kris and Jenna that a reduction for the pet sitter is almost always a good idea.

5. Lisa and little

I’m hysterical. I can’t stop crying. I finally was at a point where I felt like I wasn’t going to kill her by accident. What do I do today? Going to take another reading in an hour but this whole thing throws off the schedule etc for the week. Do I shoot in an hour if number goes above 200? Is 2 units enough of a reduction for cat sitter? Omg worst timing ever!!!!

6. Lisa and little

I adjusted my time by 15 minutes each day before the time change to compensate for daylight savings and not have that hour gap. I fed her as normal so going to test at a +1 or should I wait longer ?

7. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

I’d test her now (assuming it’s been about 20 minutes since she ate). If she’s coming up, if it were me, I’d consider starting the 2/3 dose now, with this am’s shot. That way, she is likely to be in a good, shootable zone for the pet sitter’s first shot this pm at the regular time.

Edit to clarify: tonight’s shot may be a little earlier than +12, but with less insulin on board during the day, the PMPS number is nonetheless likely to be good.

Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  8. Djamila

You're planning on skipping the shot this morning? Or did you give her some insulin? If you've skipped, then yes, I would test at +1. If you shot, I would probably wait until +2 to give it time to kick in a little.

9. Djamila

Or go with Jenna's advice -- I actually like that better than what I said :smuggrin:. Except I'd add to only shoot the 2/3 dose if she has risen a bit.

10. Lisa and little

I did not shoot this am. Does anyone think skipping insulin altogether is an option since too high is better than too low ?if she comes up at next test in15 minutes do I shoot and what do I shoot? Maybe 1.5?

11. Kris & Teasel

Always guesswork in these situations. A small dose of 1 - 1.5 u could work. Are you at home today t monitor?

12. Lisa and little

Just did a +1 she’s at 206. Do I shoot or skip? What do I reduce the dose to for the week? Could even 1u be too much if she’s at 206? Do I stop insulin for the whole week? I know that won’t be the best but I am so confused and scared I am scheduled to leave here In 2 hrs!

13. Lisa and little

Her +1 is 206. What to do? 1U??? Or skip altogether? And then what to do going forward for the week reduce to 1U? 1.5? Or skip insulin for the week?

14. Kris & Teasel

At 206 you could give at least 1.5 u I think and get a test just before you leave. That might be a dose to leave her at while you're away. I wouldn't let her go without insulin for a week though.

Djamila likes this.
  15. Lisa and little

You think 1u for the week would be a mistake? I am terrified and thank you so so so much for answering me... to all who did it really means a lot

16. Kris & Teasel

If 1 u is a dose that you can be comfortable with instead of agonizing over her BGs the whole time you're away then go for it. Your peace of mind is important. Ask your sitter to give to regular reports on how much she seems to be peeing and drinking and her general demeanour. Those clinical signs will have to be your guide while you're away.

Jenna Josie likes this.
  17. Lisa and little

:bighug::arghh:So my vet advised I leave her off for the week as it’s better to have hyper than hypo but I have not listened much to them in the past as far as dosing and food changes. I am torn. Hopefully I will get a reading tomorrow to better decide but as for today it’s a no shoot. :oops: Will leaving her off for a week undo any progress that was made? I am afraid if she’s at 125 and I give her even 1 unit that could be dangerous and if I can’t get a reading I wouldn’t know

18. Kris & Teasel

Based on the data you have 1 u is probably more than safe enough. The concern if kitty isn't getting any insulin is the risk of ketone development - not good. It's your call though.

19. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I second what Kris said. I think 1 unit would be more than safe. Ketones can develop so very fast that not giving anything seems pretty dangerous. She’ll also feel a lot better having some insulin on board.

20. Lisa and little

i didnt realize ketones can happen so fast
    based on what i now know.. she has been diabetic for some months with no treatment and has not had ketones present thank you all and i guess i have to decide if i do 1 or 1.5 she has only been on the 3 u for 4 days so hopefully no harm no foul so sad and stressed