In search of reliable U 100 syringe with 1/5 inch needles and 1/2 units...

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kelly and Buddy, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly and Buddy

Kelly and Buddy Member

Anyone have one they like? I can't find any with 1/2 inch needle and 1/2 unit markings. I know they are out there but I've been searching for an hour and CAN NOT find them - except in U40.

2. Catacular

Catacular Member

Yeah... My experience is that longer needles hurt my kitty, but the 31 gauge 5/16" needles work great. ADW Diabetes has great prices on the BD 1/2 unit syringes as well as the Novamax Glucose Ketone Meter, in my opinion.

BD U-100 Insulin Syringes 31g 8mm 3/10cc 1/2 unit markings 100/bx
    https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/6941/bd-ultra-fine-insulin-syringes

Free Nova Max Glucose Ketone Meter w/Purchase of 20 Ketone Strips
    https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/20784/free-nova-max-glucose-ketone-meter

3. Kelly and Buddy

Kelly and Buddy Member

Thanks but I hate the 5/16" needles and my cat doesn't seem to mind what I use as long as he has his face in a plate, LOL. Everyone seems to carry the 31 gauge, 5/16 syringe but I need the 1/2" syringe. I looked at BD and they don't carry them either, at least not with 1/2 units.

4. Catacular

Catacular Member

I thought I would hate them too, but my cat voted for the short needles... Ha-ha. A Google search came up with bupkis on the 1/2" syringes. Have you tried ordering a box through your vet or just through your local CVS? Make the pharmacists do the work for you. :p Once you have the first box, it should be easier to search for a source for more.

5. Kelly and Buddy

Kelly and Buddy Member

So...I jumped on Google to search for "bupkis 1/2" syringes", shocked that I had not seen them already. :joyful::joyful::joyful: Found nothing and wondered if bupkis might mean "nada". Thanks for teaching me a new word today!!

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  6. Catacular

Catacular Member

LOL! I have to admit... I'm not sure I've ever TYPED that word before. :cat::D

7. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Monoject comes with a 1/2" needle in U40 or U100 or in 1/3cc, 1/2cc and 1cc. I just ordered 500, I'll never use another brand. They may be called Coviden depending on where you live.

8. Catacular

Catacular Member

9. Noah & me (GA)

That's it! They used to come in a 30 gauge 1/3 cc size like something from a neonatal ward but they don't make them anymore. The official Caninsulin syringes look like they were made for circus elephants. My first cat went running down the hall with a syringe hanging off his back!

Catacular likes this.
  10. Noah & me (GA)

Before you do anything else be triple sure of how you convert between your insulin, U40 or U100, and your new syringes. It can be done but one mistake and you'll be sorry for a long time. Those stories you hear about hospitals amputating the wrong limb? Mistakes happen!

11. Kelly and Buddy

Kelly and Buddy Member

12. Kelly and Buddy

Kelly and Buddy Member

I looked for monoject and can not find them in stock anywhere. And do they have the 1/2 unit markings? I can find them without the 1/2 unit markings but not with them. Where did you order from? I'm in Kentucky.

13. Kelly and Buddy

Kelly and Buddy Member

Great advice but I don't do the conversion. I can barely keep up with translating units to caliper measurements so I will never add the extra step. I only buy U100s!

Catacular likes this.
  14. Noah & me (GA)

BD has pretty much taken over the industry so Monojects are very hard to find. It's hard to explain why I love them but they have a much softer feel in your hands, the tabs at the top are huge so there's no fumbling and I have never, ever had one with a defect. The seals never degrade and I've never had to use calipers.
    In Canada some pharmacies will special order them, online is useless, always out of stock.
    My U100's, 29 gauge 1/2' needle 1/2 cc capacity had the reference code 8881600848 and Monoject has either partnered with or been bought out by a company called Covidien. I haven't seen the words "Ultracomfort" on the box in years. The barcode is 8452116920 and they are made in the U.S.
    If you live close to the border try Shoppers Drug Mart or Rexall. Don't waste your time with Walmart.
    Good luck to you and Buddy, you're in the right place now. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.