insulin and diet

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by redchief, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redchief

redchief New Member

My Missy my cats name is 10 years old She is a long hair domestic cat. She was always a sickly cat since she was a kitten. Always gettiny upper respirtory infections. About 2 months ago she was sneazing alot. I brought her to the vet because of the constant sneazing and i saw blood being discharged from her nose. The vet took xrays and couldn't really find anything. Then I noticed she was drinking and eating more then normal. Well anyway they diagnosed her with diabetes. She was constantly eating and loosing weight. She was a big cat not obease now she is normal as far as weight but she still lost about 4 to 5 lbs she's now 13.5 lbs. The vet put her on Humulin n. had a hard time regulating it shes in her 3rd week of insulin. I also have 2 other cats. the vet put her first on 3 then 4 then 5 now up to 7 units. I was wondering the vet told me not to change her diet but i was wondering what cat food would be the best.. I am so sick that my cat had to get diabetes not cause of me because of her. I hate to see her suffer and she looks so sad. I just want to help her as much as i can. I love her so much. any help would be greatly appreciated not really sure how this works so my email address is ( edited by mod to remove email address ) Please help...................

Thanks
    Rob

Hi Rob... I have edited out your email address as this is a global board and I would not want you to have your privacy compromised in any way. If you wish to private message your email to someone, that is a great way to keep in contact.

2. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Hi Rob-

I would recommend that you re-post this in the general health forum. People are more active there and you will get more responses. I don't think there are too many people lingering around in here, because there are not many people using Humulin....maybe just you and me! Haha....maybe a few more, but you get the point! You might also change your subject line to include your insulin type, dosage, and a shout out for help to call attention to your post (like "I'm new....HELP!). I'm new here as well, so I can't offer too much advise, but I can tell you that everyone would recommend that you get your kitty on a low carb, high protein canned (wet) food diet. There are tons of carbs in dry food, which requires more insulin. You will find info about food on the main board. Dr. Lisa has a link and then there is also Janet and Binky's food list that will help you identify low carb foods. If you are considering changing your diet, you WILL need to adjust your insulin dosage. I would re-post and ask for help BEFORE making that change. Someone can then chime in and help you with the dosage change. If you continue at your current dosage AND change to the low carb diet, you could be in trouble (hypoglycemia).

They will most likely also offer suggestions to check with your vet about changing insulins. Very few people are using Humulin because it is a short acting insulin that makes it difficult to regulate your kitty's BG. I am about to change from Humulin to Lantus myself. Most folks here are using either Lantus or Levemir. Like I said, I'm not at all qualified to give you advice, but these are a few things that I've picked up in my travels around the boards. I just wanted to stop by and welcome you and let you know that you'll have more success posting on the main health board...with a new subject heading. I didn't want your post to go unanswered.

Cheers and good luck!!

s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.