Insulin dosage too high

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Camille and Oliver, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Camille and Oliver

Camille and Oliver Member

Hi all, my cat Oliver was diagnosed 6 days ago and started on 3 units of ProZinc two times a day. The first couple of days his symptoms seemed to be improving, then on day three he seemed to start to decline again. At that point I knew I had to start home testing. I did a couple spot checks and he was okay whereas yesterday morning I gave him his regular insulin dose without pre checking his sugar levels and I believe he went hypo all day. He was hiding in the basement, glassy eyes, very sleepy.... (I was at work and heard this second hand from my spouse at the end of the day) so I obviously checked his sugars before giving his evening dose of insulin and he was only 4.4 (80 md/gl) so I did not give his shot and called the vet immediately. They said test in the morning and call. This morning he tested 16.2 (286 md/gl) so I called the vet to see how they wanted me to proceed as far as dosing goes. I was told since I tested with a human glucometer it was not accurate and to continue on at the prescribed dose (3 units) 2 times a day. I said absolutely not, if he is going hypo off of the current dosing I feel it is too high. I asked what the number for no shoot should be and the veterinarian herself told me 6 (128 md/gl) I am NOT going to administer 3 units of insulin if he is at that kind of pre shot level.

I have contacted a new veterinary office and scheduled an appt. They advised I cut the dosage in 1/2 and do a glucose curve on Sunday, and come in on Monday with the results and go from there.

What do you all recommend I should do? What does it mean if he is dropping that low from current dosage- too high? Possibly remission already? I'm so angry with my current veterinarian. If I did what they advised I would have probably sent my boy into severe hypo last night.

One thing I have learned - ALWAYS pre test!!

Camille

2. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

Hi Camille. I can’t believe a vet started you out at3u. That’s way to high for a staring dose no matter what the number. Seems you learned really quickly to ALWAYS get a pre shot test. I am not comfortable giving specific dosing advice but cutting the dose by half or maybe even more makes sense as he was started out way too high being recently diagnosed. Remember that a day too high is better than an hour too low when it comes to BG levels. This board has great members that I’m sure will chime in an guide you. I just wanted to reach out to let you know that you are In Great hands here. I could not have made it this far in my journey without the help and support of this board. I am tagging a member that can better assist you @MrWorfMen's Mom hopefully someone will be along to better assist you. Hugs to you and your fur baby

3. Camille and Oliver

So even today, I gave him 1.5u this morning, then tested glucose tonight before next dosage and it was 11.6 (209) so I decided to skip tonight's dosage as well since it's not over the recommended 12 (236).

I am going to start a spreadsheet to keep track, will also help with people giving me advice.

I am so glad I found this forum. I am far more comfortable receiving advice here than from a veterinarian after the awful advice/treatment plan my current vet tried me on.

Camille

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi Camille. Welcome to the best place you never wanted to be.
    New? How You Can Help Us Help You! Read this please as it gives you some basic information on diabetes, has a link to how to set up the spreadsheet we all use here, and about what we like to see in your signature. That signature gets attached to all of your posts and has some very basic info we can see at a glance.

Having these 2 items SS (spreadsheet) and Signature Info completed will help us immensely.

Now, deep breath, hold, release, deep, breath, hold release...................... And maybe a tiny piece of chocolate for you (too much sugar for Oliver - it will only raise his BG (blood glucose) levels

We can help with the day to day management of feline diabetes. The first couple of weeks are the hardest, to learn what to do and why. We'll get you there.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  5. Camille and Oliver

Good morning, I have created a spreadsheet and updated my signature line. Any advice is welcomed at this point. Going to complete a glucose curve tomorrow to bring in to the new vet with me on Monday.