insulin dose and hairballs

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RobbiesMom, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

Since I seem to have been behind on getting the answers from you guys already - I'm jumping to a topic I know will be an issue at some point.
    Robbie has hairballs often and he gags them up - most of his meal typically comes with them - sometimes I'm home sometimes I'm not - My guess is even on a small dose if he throws up all his food he'll be in some tourble.

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

You might try a regular hairball control regimen.

Get a diabetic-safe hairball remedy, such as NaturVet Natural Hairball Aid.

Read the ingredients (should not contain any sugars), and also one that
    is Petrolatum free. (Petrolatum interferes with the absorption of B-Vitamins.)

Follow directions on the tube. Some cats will lick it from your finger-tip or a saucer.
    If not, finger-feed the stuff. Put a dab on your finger-tip and place it on the roof of the
    cat's mouth, just behind the front teeth...as far forward as possible. Allow cat to swallow several
    times, then give another dab until the entire dose is given.

I give hairball remedy in my house every 3-4 days to prevent hairballs.

Usually about 12-24 hours after a dose, you should see the hair come out mixed into
    the stool.

3. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

I'm fine with the hairball remedy, been doing that for decades with every cat - they both love the stuff and it's no problem - I will check the sugar content - I had asked th vet if it was OK and they said yes but now of course I'll double check just to make sure - my concern is - when he has a hairball and half his dinner comes out with it - I'm guessing his numbers will go screwy. How do you all handle that? Even with the remedy Robbie has some wild hairballs. He hates to be combed but I do it anyway - just not every day - his sister gets combed constantly and still has hairball issues - just part of the package with a long hair cat.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you could also try a daily brushing ;-)

5. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

Lori - hey didnt you read the post? come on don't make me repeat myself I'm long winded as it is. He won't tolerate a daily brushing, he hates being brushed, always has - thank god he didn't become the show cat he was supposed to be - the owner would have had a hell of a time. He gets very upset which triggers the asthma issue which is triggered by his purring - which he does out of annoyance at being brushed (you know purring doesn't always mean "I'm happy" ) plus now that I have to prick his ears, shoot his neck, hold the mask over his mouth and pill him 2,3,4 times a day I really don't want to start doing MORE stuff that will make him miserable. When we originally did the inhaler for his asthma after about a year he just got fed up - really turned from the sweetest cat in the world to a very irritated, surly creature whenever inhaler time was near. He is combed completely, much to his disgust, about once a week - more if we see clumps. But as I said his sister is combed NUMEROUS times a day (she LOVES it) and still has huge hairballs - at least once a month.
    So the question is not how do I combat the hairballs but how do you deal with them losing their food - do you re-feed a small amount (which is what I do now cause they are hungry again) or what - or is it insignificant?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Humbly beg your forgiveness...did not read that part :cry:
    ok, it DOES matter if he pukes...but only if it's within an hour or so after shooting. soooo, perhaps you could test, feed, wait an hour..shoot.
    you are not the first or only person with a cat who throws up from time to time and yes it is a concern. so that method if doable would be safest..the +1 time would start after the shot.

7. Anyname

Anyname Member

we have the same problem! my condolences! I need to get the fur-ball mixture that you' all mentioned.

8. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

thanks Lori and no begging needed isn't that for droolers? ;-) That all makes sense - I just hope he doesn't toss a hairball at like 9am after I've left for work,fed and shot. I guess that's the fear we all have. Gonna work on this as winter coat time is coming on us - a notoriously bad hairball season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.