Insulin left out of fridge

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by AshMitts1986, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AshMitts1986

AshMitts1986 New Member

Found it!!!!

Hello,

My cat's sugar is significantly high. I went to give him his shot and realized I had left his ProZinc insulin out all day. The house was at 70 degrees all day.... Can I still use it? I put it in the fridge while I await an answer.

I have since given Mitts his 1U... He's such a good boy... Hates the ear pokes, but will just lay there and purr for the shot... (While I am standing there half passing out from fear of needles!)

Some day I will figure out how to do the whole spreadsheet thing

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It will probably be okay. I would continue to use it until and if you see some wonky numbers.

The spreadsheet is hard. If you would like some over the phone help to set it up, send me a pm. I'd be glad to help.

3. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

Until you figure out the SS or get someone to help you...like Sue! :smile: You can post your #'s in your thread. Just use the following format:

AMPS
    +2
    +4
    and so on

PMPS

That will help everyone see what your #'s are like & you can get some help with his dose!

Welcome!

4. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

You might want to go back over to health & take the 911 off your post. People will think it's about a seriously ill cat or a hypo. :smile:

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I saw your post on Health. Is it dry dog food that he is getting into? That can make a huge difference in his blood glucose levels. When we switched Oliver over from dry catfood to wet lo carb, his numbers went down 100 points overnight. If you can figure out a way to keep him from eating any dry, it can make all the difference in his numbers.

Please let us some more about your kitty. Usual diet? (when he isn't getting into the dog's dinner :mrgreen: ) How often and how much do you feed?

You are giving a nice beginning dose. What kind of numbers are you seeing? You mentioned he wasn't crazy about the ear pokes - does he get a treat each time he's poked?

6. AshMitts1986

AshMitts1986 New Member

Vet visit 9/23 dx with gastriotidis something or other prescribed amoxicillin (1 more pill till gone)
    9/23 9:25 a 190bg 1u 9/24 12:28a 255bg 1U
    9/24 noon 1U 9/25 1:01 a 262bg 1U
    9/25 12:04p 169 1U 9/25 11:20pm 200 1U
    9/26 10a 1U 9/26 10:56p 297 1U
    9/27 9:29a 264 1U 9/27 10:04p 239 1U(left out of fridge 12hrs.)

Hope thats understandable... my hours were a little crazy so I was doing noon and midnight and have now worked back to 10 am/pm he typically gets his food 6am/6pm

7. AshMitts1986

AshMitts1986 New Member

Its dry dog food. We have completely eliminated dry cat food from his diet... According to my mom "He still craves the crunch... cant he have just a little dry food?" I told her no and that the dog food needs to stay away from him... Short of taking the food from the dogs when they dont eat it as soon as we put it down idk what to do to keep both cats out of the dog food.

I had a nice intro for Mr. Mittens in the health forum back when we first joined. I can add more info here tomorrow, but tonight I am happy to have insulin in Mr. Mittens and am ready to go to bed.

THANKS EVERYONE! That ProZinc is WAY too expensive to waste lol

8. all4mymarine

all4mymarine Member

I'm sure someone else will chime in soon but you need to feed your kitty before you inject the insulin! Test, feed, shoot.

9. AshMitts1986

AshMitts1986 New Member

What are the possible issues with not doing it that way? My schedule does not allow me to do consistent 12 hr interval shots at 6 am/pm... The cats will not allow for food to be given at my schedule of 10 am/pm

** I CAN HEAR HIM EATING THE DOG FOOD IN THE NEXT ROOM! and I placed it high up too! What a little bugger!

10. Hi!
    I was able to follow your numbers, but I am still trying to wrap my head around the schedule of eating vs. shots.

Normal feeding time is 6am and 6pm, right?
    But you shoot the insulin normally at 10 and 10? Or are you working your way back to 6 and 6?

I'm trying to see the correlation between food and insulin (how much the BG rises or falls due to eating and dosing.)
    Are you able to get tests in between shots? Seeing how low the insulin pushes the BG would better determine how effective the 1u is.

On the whole, the numbers don't look bad though.

Carl

11. all4mymarine

all4mymarine Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/pet-insulin-101.htm

"2. FOOD

Always make sure your cat eats around the time (up to one hour before injection) of the insulin administration. This will insure that the cat has food in her stomach (and rising blood glucose levels as a result) to counteract the action of the insulin. Also, it is often easier to give the injection while your cat is eating. If your cat is having trouble with vomiting, be very careful and watch for possible hypoglycemic episodes. If your cat is not eating, consider skipping the insulin. Remember, if your cat does not eat for 24 hours, you should take her to the vet."

You'll have to add in a scheduled feeding at 10am/10pm ;-)

Most diabetic cats do better when fed smaller meals several times a day. Lucky is fed at AMPS, +6, PMPS, and +4 before I go to bed. So he is fed 4x a day.

12. AshMitts1986

AshMitts1986 New Member

Sorry! I should have said my mom feeds him and I do the shots... She can't give him shots

13. AshMitts1986

AshMitts1986 New Member

I can guarantee Mr. Mittens won't complain about an extra feeding... even if he isn't getting more food lol

14. There is a possible "danger" with not feeding at the time of shooting... Sometimes, for whatever reason, a kitty's BG will be falling just prior to shot time instead of rising like it's supposed to. The danger in shooting insulin into a falling glucose level. In effect, it makes the insulin stronger, because there's no boost from food pushing it "up". That makes possible a hypoglycemic episode.

The other issue is that it makes it hard to make sense of how effective the insulin is over a 12 hour cycle because there is supposed to be this tug-of-war over blood glucose levels between the food and the insulin.

We'll figure out how to make it possible for you to dose and feed around the same time...

Carl

15. AshMitts1986

AshMitts1986 New Member

I will do everything I can to give insulin with food.

I finally got Mr. Mittens' SS up and running. If everything is working right you should be able to click the link in my signature.

16. Sue and Oliver (GA)

The spreadsheet looks good. I think the numbers look pretty good too. The missed shot yesterday may mean wonky numbers for a cycle or two. I would stick with the one unit. You are doing a great job testing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.