Insulin making cat feel sick/breath "different"

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amy and Mickey, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy and Mickey

Amy and Mickey Member

My cat was on prozinc for only a few weeks....I took him off, as I noticed his breathing had become "different." He was also panicking 2-4 hours after his shots. By 5 days after using this insulin, he was weak, spaced out, and not feeling well enough to even complain anymore.

He has been off Prozinc for 4 days now, and he is like his old self. Coincidence? You judge. These companies who test their drugs are bias, they will say anything to sell their drug. It was nothing like PZI....event though they market it that way.

On lantus 2 days now, feeling better, and it is definitely working, just trying to find the dose. I am getting a nice flat line throughout the day which makes me very happy. He feels better!

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Amy, good for you for stopping the Prozinc and switching. Really not enough info on this insulin yet and I know when I run out of my IDEXX Mishka will be put on BCP. After 6 1/2 years I am not looking for remission. Glad to read that Mickey is doing so much better.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I'm glad Mickey is doing better. Regarding ProZinc, it is just human recombinant insulin compounded with the same protamine zinc used in PZI vet. Some people here use human recombinant insulin compounded with other substances (like N insulin) with no problems. You have to remember that like humans, each cat can respond differently to medications.

4. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Every cat is different. On PZI Idexx, Merlyn was lethargic after his shot (not hypo) would go lay down in the bathroom behind the toilet, it would take an hour or 2 for him to come out..

Lantus...totally different cat, and response to insulin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.