Insulint may be working to well. 65 @ +4.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sev, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Kittys numbers were looking to be a good start this morning.
    However he has dropped quite a bit. He may be leveling off but I am not sure. Just fed him again at the behest of Hope and sue.
    Hope that does the trick. We dont need any problems.

2. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

He is slowing down but is at 49.

3. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

+4.75 is @ 54.
    Hopefully he keeps on track.

4. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Are Hope and Sue with you in one of the ISGs helping? I don't know your insulin well, but feeding is good at those numbers, need to get them to stop going down and flatten.

You are staying on top of re-testing too, that's good, you want to see a couple of rising numbers in a row, in a good range, before you ease up on the testing.

5. Mel
    I just posted in PZI and asked Sev to keep this in one thread instead of two, and suggested Health such there are more eyes here.

Carl

6. Hi Sev,
    Looking at the SS, you might wanted to think about backing down off the 1.25 if this keeps happening.
    Not only is it pushing Kitty too low too fast, but if you look at last night, he's getting longer than normal duration at times too. You may run into another problem at a PS when you have to hold off to make sure he's rising.
    The reds might be ugly, but I'd rather have two reds than a green that is too green, you know?

7. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

You have a good point.
    Perhaps the pancreas is kicking in???

He just posted at 52 for +5.

8. 52 is good. I've tried to catch up, but have you given him any food since breakfast, or is he leveling out on his own?

9. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Back on but Sue can't be. Glad.....so damn glad you fed him nailbite_smile Now, food and insulin are battling each other right now. Insulin may win.....he may stop for a while but do not take it for granted he is not going to go down again and even lower. I would test at least every 1/2 hr. MAX. Another good spiker is high carb treats and then food. Treats work quicker till food kicks in. If you've been reading any of the Lantus or Levermir forums do not go by that info. Those insulins work differently than ProZinc does.

10. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

I fed him a combination of Merrick and Freshpet.

@ Hope. Just been sticking with Prozinc and listening to you guys.
    Going to test again in 2 minutes.

Also when he ate it was in 2 intervals about 12 minutes apart. Cleaned out the dish.

11. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Sev, do you test, shoot and feed or do you test, feed and shoot? With that amps today you might want to test, feed and give food a chance before you shoot the insulin or consider going down to 1 unit.

12. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

I test. Feed and shoot while feeding.

He is at 49.

13. that's ok....the last few numbers are basically the same thing. give him 30 minutes but keep an eye on him.

14. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Going to test at 5.5.
    He was fine at 41 the other day so I am cautiously optimistic here.

15. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Ditto what Carl just said.....don't trust Kitty :roll: BTW, during the phase of the full moon we see more instances of either hypos or ketones show up. Sometimes a couple days leading up to the full moon, sometimes during the full moon, and sometimes right after. I always check for the full moon every single month and have for 13 years since I found FDMB.

As for being fine at 41, that was the other day, today is a different day. There are those cats that may not show any symptoms of a hypo... they just start having seizures. You really do not want Kitty surfing in the low 40's every day....not much of a safety net left.

16. Sev,
    Just thinking out loud.....I think the dose is good, almost too good in fact. I know the reds/blacks are what is driving you bonkers..... I'm thinking the highs are more related to the infection and dental junk, causing those spikes. Any way you can just get some other vet to prescribe the ABs or do some dental work since your vet seems to be so insistent on lower numbers before doing anything for Kitty? I don't understand how he expects you to get the numbers down as long as an infection is a possibility.
    Carl

17. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

I have another place up the road I can go to.

Kitty is at 41 but eating more at the moment.

18. What's the carbs number of the food you've been giving this morning? Is this low carb stuff or have you given him anything with gravy? Not saying you need to, just want to understand what he's working with.

19. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Its still low carb.
    The hightest carb food I have tops out at 18 carbs.

20. okay, don't go there yet, just good to know it's there if you need it.

21. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Right.
    It was out in the car. Got down to 18 degrees last night.
    Warming it under hot water.

22. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Ok. We are back to 53.

23. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Put it on a paper plate or plastic plate or even paper towel and warm it up in the micro for a few seconds.

24. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Re: Insulin may be working to well. 65 @ +4.

Okay, now we wait and see because he is getting near to his peak time of +6/+7 and we don't want to shoot him way up so....test in another 1/2 hr. max and see if he is holding in the 50's. Maybe invite your vet to the board so he can see the work you are doing to keep Kitty safe :roll:

25. Yeah, and he might also realize that the folks here are not just a bunch of "crazy cat people" and we sort of know what we're talking about....

26. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Ever see the movie "Cat People" with David Bowie? :D

27. Yes, but that was some years ago and most of those brain cells are no longer with me! :mrgreen:

28. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Re: Insulin may be working to well. 65 @ +4.

I only fed him a limited amount of food. I by no means filled the bowl. However he went to it in 3 intervals which probably is better than eating it all at once.

29. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Not to worry. The myth of brain cells not regenerating after engaging in adult activities has been busted by science.
    You just may not have been able to reconnect to them. :lol:

30. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Yup but sadly we cannot transform ourselves into panthers so instead of fangs and claws we have to use words only.

31. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

We may be out of the woods. +6 is 70.

32. good, that's the first indication he's rising..... I'd give him a break for an hour.

33. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

I dont know. I have known a few ladies that were quite good impressionists. :eek: ;-) :D

34. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Ditto again.....no more food for now and give his ear a break.

35. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Changed my mind.....how about 45 minutes before testing to make sure it is "safe to go back in the water"?

36. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

I was going to test at 6.5.
    I generally give him his snack at +6 or +7.
    I know its a different day and circumstance. However if he follows previous patters he should be on the rise. He got a little more food than normal. Perhaps an oz more.

37. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

I believe I have found another physiological change in Kitty since changing his diet and starting the insulin.
    His eyes had been weeping slightly. I attributed it to age. It seems to have cleared up.
    Any correlation to diabetes?

38. Sounds good. test then and you can feed at the same time. That'll help push him up towards the PMPS like you want....Just tell him "not so high this time, keep it in the blues or yellows!"

39. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

FWIW, on my tests when AlphaTrak was first available to vets.

At 34 on the OTU ( not the mini though) I got a
    43 on the AT,
    a 33 on the ACAdvantage,
    a 25 on the Contour,
    a 33 on the ReliOn
    all on one drop of blood.

He's already had his snack....be careful of those snacks.

40. Wow, that's valuable data right there.

I know we toss around the meter variance thing a lot, and some vets insist that "our numbers" are reading low. I've come to believe that yes, you might see large differences on the high numbers, like 30 points or whatever when you are reading in the 300-400+ ranges.....but I think the lower the number, the closer to "reality" our meters are.

But all those numbers would have made me a bit nervous! nailbite_smile

41. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Ok @ 6.5 his at 65.

42. hmmm, so really, no change. Looks like he might be having another long duration day perhaps.

43. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Ok, I know it is only 5 points but.....do another 1/2 hr check just to make sure he isn't going back down again. I would hate to gamble with money on what he is going to do :lol:

44. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Is that good or bad?
    You guys kind of put out conflicting signals on it.

45. Not good or bad, Sev. Sometimes it can indicate the dose is too high. Either it pushes down too low, or it pushes down for longer than normal. Kitty's numbers lately indicate it is doing both, which to me indicates more strongly that it is too much juice. I don't think drastically too much, maybe just skinny-up on that 1.25? Either way, it pretty much rules out that an increase is needed. Just wish that infection was not clouding up the picture.

46. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

I am looking at the chart.
    Since hitting him with the 1.75. His numbers over all are much better.
    Especially if you assume the first 2 weeks that I was not testing were as wild as the first week I started.
    Perhaps the 1.75 kicked something into motion?

47. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

We don't mind a long duration, surfing, but not in the 40's because one never knows when the cat might just suddenly go lower. They should slowly go down, not drop like a rock, hang around at a decent double digit number, and then go slowly back up, not rocket up. There will be those times when he may get such a long duration and go +18 before he even gets up enough to consider a dose. Every day can be a brand new day where numbers are concerned so once you find a good dose to use you do not raise it because the numbers are high for that day. You go with the flow and say tomorrow is another day and Kitty might be back to a normal day of numbers. Now, if he continues to keep rocketing down and going too low, then you would reduce. If he starts going and staying at higher ps numbers, then you would do an increase. Even when I used Humulin insulin I always waited at least a full 4 days before considering doing a change. Never waited that long though if we were going too far down.

48. I think that's a possibility. It seems like with cats that decide to get better or go off the you know what, there's a point at which things just start to turn around. With Bob, that magic number was 4u, then down to nothing in steps over 4 weeks or so.

On the whole possible teeth related infection thing going on, interestingly I just saw this on the DCIN facebook page today:
    http://csuvth.colostate.edu/veterinarians/clinical_trials/index.aspx#smallanimal

49. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Did you guys notice the test I took at 3:30 AM?
    He cruised through the entire night in the blue.

+7 @ 65. Same as 6.5.

Also nobody address my question about his weeping eyes clearing up.

50. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Also does that chat function on the SS work?
    I have shouted out a few times in the past and received no replies.

51. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Cruising in the blues is great. As for the weeping eyes, no clue but maybe the antibiotic he was on for the gum infection helped clear that up.

52. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

something knew to learn........WHAT chat function on the SS?

53. I didn't even know there was a chat function on the SS.

54. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

AH HA.
    I may be ahead of you here. :smile:
    Somebody is typing at me.

55. i think i found it.....to the right where it shows how many people are looking at the SS...click on that arrow and it opens a window that looks like a chat window.

56. ok, so it does work! I guess it only works if everyone has the chat window open

57. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Good thing I have 2 screens. I can follow both.

58. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

I read something about permissions to the SS that allows people who open the document to be identified.
    Cant remember where I found it. Could be in the publishing on the net.

59. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Okay, got the window open and I can see what I type but it isn't showing up for you to see. Do I have to hit something to get it to post?

60. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Hit enter.

61. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

7.5 was 101 and +8 is 123.

I have to run out for a while. Catch up with you all in a bit.

Thank you so much for hanging with me today. Its really appreciated. I was sweating a little bit earlier.

Cheers!!!

62. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Ok +10 plus a few minutes is 259.
    I am going to stay with the 1.25 for the PM. He should be in the High 300's by the PMPS.
    What do you guys think?

63. Hoping for lower than high 300s, but yes, I think sticking with 1.25 would be good unless he drops by that time.

Carl

64. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

We'll know in about an hour in 20 min.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.