Interpreting different results on meters

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tina and Boozle, Dec 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

I see some of you have done testing between meters. We were using the Relion Premier Compact and used the accu-chek guide this evening. The Relion read 114 and the Accu-check 135. Either way, we fed a little and are stalling. I ran out of strips, so that is the extent of what I can do until I can get to Walmart in the AM. I am just curious if anyone knows how to interpret the difference between the meters.

2. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

And by the way, while the accu-check takes more blood, it also takes it anywhere across the edge. It sucked the blood right up into the strip. That is the easiest and fastest I have ever done a blood sugar and I used to be in the medical field.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

ALL blood test meters are allowed to have a 20% variance by the FDA....those are basically the same number.

Tina and Boozle likes this.
  4. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

So I guess, with numbers being close -- and not being familiar with this particular cat's typical cycle, which one is better to rely on when dealing with low numbers? There is about an 18% spread between the two. Or if one reads over 200, regardless, is it okay to shoot?

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes it is.

As you get more data and learn more about how she responds, you gradually learn to shoot lower and lower Pre-shot numbers.

If I were you, I'd pick one meter and stick with it. You'll drive yourself totally bonkers if you try to compare them. Pick one and base your decisions on the numbers it gives you.

Could you add some information to your signature? Like the type of insulin you're using and the type of meter.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'd just average it and call it a 125.

7. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

Yeah, it was just circumstance that led us to use the Accu-Chek last night. 50 strips should have lasted us through Christmas, but we had so much trouble with the Premier that we ran out quicker than expected, and of course, Walmart was closed. So, we got this other one from Walgreens. We ordered strips for the relion micro, which is what we intended all along. I have to say, though, I really like this Accu-Chek, so far. The fact that it takes blood all across the front edge makes this so much easier. I think we are probably going to just stick with this one.

8. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

Which, I have to say, had we not ran out of strips, we probably would have never tried something different. I am one of those people who absolutely fights change, once I am used to the way things work. So . . . I guess I needed to be forced to try something new. hah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.