Intro - Buddy Catz

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SusanM, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SusanM

SusanM New Member

Hi - tried to post an intro a week ago and kept getting blocked - hope this works!
    Buddy Cat, age 12, was diagnosed with diabetes on Feb 2 '17 after showing symptoms of increased drinking, urination, appetite, weight loss - was on prednisolone for IBD symptoms when this started. Cause or trigger? Whatever. I have been testing him using Relion Confirm and he was prescribed Lantus 1U 2x day. His numbers have been down and we went to vet today to compare readings (they use Alphatrack2). There was a 48 point difference: my Relion showed 105; their AT2 153. I have not been shooting for the past couple days because BG's have been in double-digits. I'm sure that when vet gets in tomorrow, she will want him back on the juice. Changed his diet to Fancy Feast classics (mostly the poultry versions) with some Nulo and other low carb choices (have 2 non-DB cats). He does eat approx. 20 pieces of Evo as well - yeah, bad, sometimes we all want a Frito to crunch. SO now we are here!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! It's great that you're doing home testing. A human meter reads lower than a pet meter but people here understand both. Your Lantus dose was a good one and it seem your kitty has responded well. Please post on the main health forum if you have any questions.

There were some technical issues last week that caused people to be blocked.

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome!

SusanM likes this.
  4. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

Welcome ! I have a Buddy Cat. On 12/20/16 one of the doctors at his former clinic put him on prednisolone 2x a day for a polyp inside his ear. He also was put on an antibiotic. By the second day it was on, his regular doctor and the rest of the staff were off until 12/27/16. I knew something was wrong but I did not know what it was. I got him in to see a vet on 12/24/16. This doctor did not check to see if he was dehydrated (he was) or running a temperature. I asked him to take his temperature, he did and said Buddy was not running a temperature. He said Buddy was constipated and wanted me to give him an enema. Since I could not give him an enema, he did. I was so mad at myself for letting him give Buddy an enema, I should have grabbed Buddy and walked out the door. I did get an appointment for 12/26/16 for Buddy to see a vet. I had stopped the prednisolone after the morning dose on 12/24/16. On 12/26/16 when Buddy got to the vet he was seriously ill. He was severely dehydrated and very sick. Buddy was hospitalized until the afternoon of 12/30/16. When he came home he was not in great shape. We have had a lot of ups and downs since then but we are still hanging on. Buddy would never have made it this far without FDMB. Kris & Teasel have been a great support and a lot of help. You are at the right pace.

SusanM and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  5. PurrKat

PurrKat New Member

Welcome :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.