Intro

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ang, Apr 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ang

Ang Member

Hi my name is Ang, my cat is Meow-Meow, a 10 y.o. DSH diagnosed with diabetes on Wednesday. His number was 417.. is that REALLY high, or just high? I am clueless, can you tell?

[For some reason the rest of my message is giving me a popup that doesn't allow it...? Weird]

My present challenge is the online pharm I ordered Lantus from has delayed the shipment by almost a week... so we wait to start treatment til then. I am not a happy camper about that. Looking for new source.

Diet change has gone well though. I am in NY state.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Ang and Meow-Meow!
    That's happened to a couple other new members. Not sure why. You can try another post below the first one :). While you're setting up, it's super helpful to have some information in your Signature (light grey text at the end of post): http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

I'm sure you are a little overwhelmed so I won't bombard you with too much :bighug:. By chance are you home testing? If not, are you interested? It's one of the best tools in our FD kit for helping our kitties. Please post any questions on the Main Health Forum :cat:

3. Ang

Ang Member

Ah thinks for the direction to the main health forum! Me? Overwhelmed? Is it that obvious? :arghh:

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Ang and Meow-Meow! Oh you're going to fit in with this crazy group...

HUGS!

Ang and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  5. Ang

Ang Member

Well I am a type A, micro manager so... not having my ducks in a row on this by now is really irritating.

JanetNJ and Djamila like this.
  6. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Let me promise you something from one micro-manager to another....the confusion and irritation will get worse. :) But suddenly it will start all falling into place...

HUGS again...

7. Ang

Ang Member

Vet appt at 2:20 today!

In classic form Fed Ex dropped the lantus shipment [lo/behold not claiming to not know my house exists for a change] but without knocking or letting us know... there the box sat... on the porch... in the sun. Luckily I was paranoid, checked the tracking and saw that they said they dropped it, only about 30 minutes after they left it to bake.
    Grrrrr.....

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  8. Yong & Maury GA

Glad you were watching for it! Hopefully it's OK because I think it's shipped with ice packs. Guessing you guys in NY are getting this little heat wave too? ;)

9. Ang

Ang Member

Yes Yong, in the low 80's today here in NY, go figure!

So Meow appt went well.
    We are not using the CVS meter, but Alphatrak that the practice prefers.
    She showed me how to do it, and he was at 241 after 1 week on low carb food.
    I just did his first test ad insulin, and he was at 184 :woot: and so per instructions [dose unless under 150] I gave him the full dose.

Testing did not go as well as in the clinic- OY!- he really was not happy about it whereas at the clinic he barely looked at her.
    I got the evil stink eye, 'I don't think I like you anymore' look.
    Insulin dose went better, let him start eating and just did it while he was distracted, he barely noticed me.

Now bracing to retest later... :nailbiting:

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  10. Ang

Ang Member

201 at an hour post dose and dinner.
    and it took two tries with the lancet. I REALLY suck at it. REALLY.

11. Yong & Maury GA

Most Vets prefer the AT2 but due to cost a lot of us use the human meter for daily testing. Can you setup your signature with the link I provided earlier? And since you are home testing. Here is the link for SS instructions: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    Might want to make a thread on the Lantus forum now. This is mainly for greetings :). You'll get better at testing :bighug:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.