Introducing Baby and Leah

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Leah & Baby, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leah & Baby

Leah & Baby New Member

Yes, as you say, the group I didn't want to join. Baby's and my story is similar to countless others on the forum, maybe not in it's entirety, but surely in the details that make it up. He has been with me since he was 6 weeks old, rescued off of the side of the highway sitting next to his dead mother. He is now 12-1/2. Starting in November 2012, we went through a relatively short period of needing shots, but with the help of all of the great information online and a change of diet, got him into remission where he remained for 18 months. Recently, there has been a change and that's why I decided to join your group. There is wealth of experience here and a community of people who understand what our cats mean to us. So, not a newbie to feline diabetes, just to this community. Howdy.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

We strongly encourage folks to home test the blood glucose with an inexpensive human glucometer (see my signature link Glucometer Notes), feed a species appropriate low carb canned or raw diet (see Cat Info), and lobby to get an effective, long lasting insulin for cats (ProZinc, Levemir, Lantus, or BCP PZI).

3. Leah & Baby

Leah & Baby New Member

Thanks for the reply. Since Baby previously went through a period of full blown diabetes, I have a home testing unit. I was able to get him into remission at that time by changing his diet, eliminating dry food and feeding a combo of Nature's Variety and low carb canned food. He was prescribed Lantus during that initial bout. I am in the process of doing a full curve on him today to help convince the vet that he needs to be on insulin.

4. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

It is harder to get a second remission but it is certainly possible. There is a great spreadsheet in the tech forum that you can set up to record Baby's results. We will be able to access the data from your signature and you will also be able to send the link to your vet so they can access the info.

If you get lantus again (or levemir) the best place to post regularly for dosing assistance will be the lantus/levemir insulin support group forum. When a cat comes back from remission there's often an underlying reason. A major culprit is dental issues so make sure Baby has a thorough check up including her mouth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.