Introducing Kisa

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Derek, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek

Derek Member

This is my kitty, Kisa. He's 7 years old as of this posting, born September 8th, 2006. A year ago, he weighed in at 16 pounds, and the vet ordered me to get his weight down. He's now down to 9. He was diagnosed diabetic about a week ago, as of this posting, and he's a lot bigger than the picture makes him look. Also, the brown highlights in his fur really only show up under very bright light, otherwise, he looks jet black. Anyway, I'll be giving periodic updates as he's tested, I'll be learning how today

Attached Files:

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Kisa and Derek. He is beautiful! We'd love to help you both.

We have a very successful protocol for feline diabetes:

1. A slow, long lasting insulin. Lantus, Levemir and ProZinc are popular as they have a slow onset; they are not harsh and they are easiest to use for regulation. Humulin and Canninsulin are less popular because, in most cats, they have a rapid onset and don’t last as long. We like new diabetics to start low and go slow. That is, start at a low dose of .5 or one unit twice daily every 12 hours. And increase slowly, by .25 or .5 units as the numbers indicate.

2. A low carb, wet diet. We like to feed under 8-10% carbs. There are several food charts you can use: Dr. Lisa’s food chart
    Hobo’s Food Chart Rhiannon’s 8% and under list

Whatever food you can afford that your cat will eat in that lower range. BUT do not change over to wet until you are hometesting. With our Oliver, the switch meant an overnight change of 100 points downward. If we hadn’t been testing and had given our usual amount., he could have hypoed.

2. And most importantly, hometesting. We think cats tend to be stressed at the vet
    and we know stress raises blood glucose levels. So we test our cats at home. You want to know what the number is before you give the shot to be sure the amount you are planning to give is safe. And testing midcycle will show you how the insulin is working. We use human glucometers and test on their ears or paws. Here is a video that shows you how it is done: Video for hometesting

Read and reread. There is great info on this site. Let us know how we can help

3. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Welcome! :YMHUG: Kisa is a beautiful kitty!

I hope the learning session went well and you're on your way to home-testing. Most people around here use human meters since the test strips are a lot cheaper and more readily available than the pet meters and they're just as accurate (although they have a difference in numbers akin to Celsius vs. Fahrenheit). Depending where you live, we can give you some advice on inexpensive meters, for example, in the US, the Relion/Arkray brand is used by many as it's the cheapest for the test strips (where the price really adds up).

Here's another link to some more tips on ear-testing that might help you along.

And please let us know if you have any questions. :D

4. Kim & Twice

Kim & Twice Well-Known Member

Hello and Welcome Derek and Kisa. What a gorgeous kitty! :D
    It's great to have you here and I am happy you found this site so quickly. I look forward to seeing your updates.

5. Derek

Derek Member

So nice to see everyone so welcoming, and complementary, of my kitty. The issue I'm having now is getting his ears to bleed at all. I started the testing yesterday, and have yet to get a single drop. I gave up after half a dozen contacts, as it was needlessly stressing him. Hopefully I'll get it today

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

We say, three tries and then treats all round. :D

What size lancet? 25-27 gauge is usally best till their ears learn to bleed. Are you heating his ear? Very important at first for most cats. You can use the rice sack or fill a prescription bottle with very warm water. You can also double poke - a quick second poke to increase the hole. Where are you poking? Have you seen the picture of the sweet spot? Do you have something behind the ear to poke against? Some people use a folded kleenix; we liked a small make up sponge.

You'll get your technique down. Just try a couple times, then treats and a break.

7. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

Hi Derek

Sue gives good advice about warming the ear. I use a rice sock which is uncooked rice kernels tied up in a baby sock or other thin sock. Pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds and then use it to warm the ear. The ear will learn to bleed, capillaries will be more prominent there after some time of poking. The rice sock was a real help to me. I barely have to jab now and get plenty of blood for a test.

and then of course
    That's really important because your cat can tell when you are stressed. KPassa provided a great link that really helped me when I first started. You will get the hang of it in no time.

Welcome!

8. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the board!

What food are you feeding? Are you currently giving insulin? we can help more if we know this.

Take a look at Kays tip link - there are a lot of good ideas in there for testing but the key things are a warm ear, something behind the ear to press against, big lancets. Are you free handing the lancets or using the tool?

Wendy

9. Derek

Derek Member

I was given a list of foods by the vet that were good, and told high protein was desirable. So he's getting Friskies wet food, flaked with tuna or flaked with tuna and egg. I try between 3 and 6 attempts, then I just give him his insulin. I do watch him after to make sure he doesn't react badly, Periodically call him and make sure he's alert, since I can't check his sugar. I've tried heating, tried near the sweet spot of the ear, in both ears, inside and out. Earlier today when the sun was out I could see the red spots where he'd been jabbed, but not one of them produced even a single drop of blood

10. Derek

Derek Member

Ok everyone, I have good news and bad news. I got blood today. That's the good news. The bad news is, it wasn't a full drop, at least not enough to test on. But I have the general feel of where to get him, and I think changing the setting on the lancet will get a drop tonight

11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Hurrah! Welcome to the Vampire Club. Blood is a start. Any time you get some but the cat is moving away etc, you can get the drop on your fingernail and test from there.

12. misty1477

misty1477 Well-Known Member

Welcome Derek & Kisa !

Try using the lancet without the 'lancing device'. It might be easier for you to control the 'pokey-poke' if you free-hand the lancet. Also, some kitties don't like the click-sound near their face.

It does get easier. :smile:

13. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

The food sounds good - Friskies pates are low carb and that can help cats into remission. Sooner you get the hang of testing the better.

What size lancets are they? Bigger the better for newbies. Also I second trying it without the tool. Or trying two small pokes beside each other.

Wendy

PS What kind of insulin is it do you know?

14. Derek

Derek Member

The insulin is lantus, the lancets are whatever the size is that came with the package, didn't really look at them. Also, I tried doing a hand poke this morning, and all it did was hurt him with no blood yield

15. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Lantus is a great insulin.

Chances are those lancets are 30 or 33g - too fine to start out with. You want something thicker like 28g.

A few tips
    - the ear must be really warm
    - when freehanding (no tool) go in a 45 degree angle - use 1 or 2 pricks in the same spot
    - aim for the vein (use a flashlight if need be to see it)
    - hold the ear firmly under the spot to help dam the blood and it to well up
    - have something firm ( like a pile bottle lid) behind the ear to press against
    - always give a treat

The ear will learn to bleed after about a week so don't give up!

Wendy

16. Derek

Derek Member

Looks like my lancets are 26. Still no luck getting the blood, I don't know if my aim is off, or what. This is a lot harder than I thought. Who knew that poking a cat with a sharp object to get blood would be so difficult?

17. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I'm sorry you are struggling. Rest assured not everyone gets it on the first try. We poked poor Oliver all weekend before we got a drop. What finally helped was really heating the ear and having something to poke against. (we used a makeup sponge; some people use folded kleenix)

Just to check. Are you sure poking in the "sweet spot"?

Sweet spot see step 5

Have you tried double poking - a quick second poke in the same spot?

18. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

lol! You are probably being too gentle.

What do you use to put behind the ear to press against?

19. Derek

Derek Member

I used the rice sock. I'll try a double poke tonight, he's due in about twenty minutes

20. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi Derek and sugardude Kisa.

The rice sock is probably too soft to poke against. How about trying either a folded up tissue in several layers to protect your finger or a pill bottle lid or if you use a flashlight to see the area where you want to poke, you can poke right against that flashlight shining up to highlight the sweet spot.

When I first started out, I shaved a tiny patch on Wink's ears with a safety razor so I could see better. That blood drop just seemed to disappear in his long black ear fur and this helped me in the beginning. Something to think about. I also used a really bright light because my ageing eyes don't see as well any more.

The colder weather has set in and Wink's ears don't bleed as easily. Takes longer to warm them up and get the blood flowing too. So maybe try holding your rice sock on Kisa's ear a bit longer.

Keep trying. It's a learning experience and can take some practice to be successful every time. Most of us can do it still groggy, poor light, stumbled out of bed to test. You'll probably need a bit more time to become an 'ear poking pro' like us. Patience grasshopper.

21. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

I agree with Deb - you need something firmer like a pill bottle lid.

Are you free handing the lancet or using a tool?

22. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

If you're using the tool, you want to make sure it's flat against the ear, otherwise, the device doesn't poke deep enough, regardless of the setting.

Which device is it? Some are much better than others. I've used quite a few and my favorite is the Accu-Chek FastClix. You can buy the devices separately from the meters and I use that device with my ReliOn Prime because the lancing devices that came with my ReliOns are not that easy to use, are overly loud, and are harder to switch out lancets.

23. Derek

Derek Member

Well, the good news is I finally got enough blood to test. The bad news is, either it was set too high, or I was too near the edge, because it punched through. So I'm gonna dial it back a setting or two to prevent that next time. Though it was good that I didn't have to milk it, it isn't worth hurting him over.

His rating was 445. Is that good, bad, or otherwise?

24. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Not great. We generally consider a cat regulated if they are in the low/mid 200s at preshot and in the 100s or below at midcycle (but not under 40 which is hypo territory.). 400s are an area where you want to be testing regularly for ketones.

I don't use Lantus so can't advise on dosing. You might start a new thread with your number and history (you could link to this thread) and ask for Lantus dose advice.

25. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

:RAHCAT Congratulations on your first successful poke and test! :RAHCAT

If you have the device set too high, it can also cause difficulties with getting blood. ohmygod_smile With Mikey, when I first started out testing, I got the best results on the 4th setting, then lowered it to 3 after about a week, then to 1 after that and it's been on 1 ever since on every device I've used.

What time was the 445? Was that right before you gave him a shot? What is your current dose? And keep practicing on that ear testing! It will get easier and it's all downhill from here. :D

26. PaulaF

PaulaF Member

Welcome! Kisa is most BEAUTIFUL!

I'm a new/returning member here - everyone here has excellent advice for you and Kisa. I don't think I would have survived when my kitty, PJ, was first diagnosed in 2004 w/o this forum.

Just take a deep breath and you and Kisa will be fine!

27. Derek

Derek Member

He was 445 before his shot

28. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

If you can, try to grab another test around 5 to 7 hours after the shot so we can see how low Kisa might be going. What dose is he on?

Since you're going to be getting a lot more successful tests in the future, ;-) here are some instructions for setting up a spreadsheet that we all use. And here is some help explaining how to use the spreadsheet.
    As for testing, I always try to get at least 4 tests minimum each day:
    • AM Pre-shot test to know if it's safe to give a shot
    • AM mid-cycle test, if possible (this one I sometimes skip because of work). It lets me know how the dose is working and how low Mikey might go
    • PM Pre-shot test to know if it's safe to give a shot
    • Before-bed test to see how low he might go overnight while I'm sleeping
    All other tests, I consider them as more data points on how Michelangelo reacts to the insulin in that particular cycle, how food and/or activity affects his numbers, if he needs an increase or decrease in dose, how he might be handling a new dose, etc.... I basically play fill-in-the blank across the week and try to grab tests at different times across different days with a few repeats thrown in.

Here is an example of a typical Lantus cycle:
    Most cats don't follow this pattern exactly or even from cycle to cycle, but it'll give you a good idea of the direction the numbers are supposed to take (i.e. going up or going down).

One other thing that helped me out significantly when I first started testing was Wikipedia's Blood Sugar Guidelines so I knew what those numbers I kept writing down on my spreadsheet actually meant. :lol:

29. Derek

Derek Member

Tonight's blood reading, 357. I dialed the thing back, still got a droplet on the other side, but at least it went on the first try. I'll dial it back again for the next morning

30. Derek

Derek Member

Yesterday Night Pre-Feed: 367
    Yesterday Night Post-Feed: 388

Morning Pre Feed: 162
    Morning Post Feed: 282

I'm a little concerned, the lowest setting on the lancet gun isn't pricking him enough to draw blood, and the next lowest punches through his ear. I dunno if I'm too close to the edge or something, but it's stressful for me...he doesn't seem to mind it much, but it's upsetting to me. And I don't trust myself to do it by hand and not hurt him

31. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Try a double poke on the lowest setting? Do you sure have something behind the ear to poke against?

32. Derek

Derek Member

I use the test strip container, a little plastic canister

33. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Which lancing device are you using? I've used most of them and by far, the easiest one to use is the AccuChek FastClix. For me, I know how to poke with just the lancet or a lancing pen that uses regular lancets, but it takes me forever because I have to take the cap off the lancet, I have to actually see where I'm poking, I have to get it angled properly, I have to recap the lancet, etc.... It's like a 100 steps vs. the FastClix where it's already primed with 6 lancets and all I have to do is just press it against Mikey's ear, make sure by feel that the lancet hole is close to the edge of his ear, and then press a button and it's done. You don't have to buy a meter to get the lancing device (you can buy it separately), so I would suggest that if you're planning on sticking with a lancing device, invest in a good one!

(FYI: I reuse the lancets in my FastClix, so it takes me forever to go through a box of 100, which IIRC runs around $10. A box of 100 regular lancets might be cheaper, but I don't feel as comfortable reusing those as much or as often.)

34. Derek

Derek Member

11/9 Morning Pre Feed: 425 (Had some chicken and beef stew gravy)
    11/9 Post Feed: 393

11/9 Night Pre Feed: 357
    11/9 Night Post Feed: 407

Kisa's numbers for the day

35. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

it will be more useful to us if you can give the times of tests in relation to the shot - that way we get a better idea of how the insulin is working.

Also I usually recommend 3- 4 tests a day

- always before the shot - this is mandatory as you don't want to shoot when too low. As a newbie this too low number is 200 but is reduced over time once you have the data to know if its safe.
    - mid cycle - 5-7 hours after morning shot depending on your schedule. This is to see how low he is going. The low point "nadir" is what you base dose changes on since you don't want him dropping too low (under 50).
    - before bed (2-3hours after Pm shot) to get an idea of what his overnight plans are. If this number is less than the pre shot test number you may want to set the alarm for a test a few hours later as this implies an active cycle.

Wendy

36. Derek

Derek Member

I generally feed him at 9 and 9, what sort of testing schedule would you suggest? What times to test him, and what time to do his insulin?

37. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hello Derek and Kisa, and Welcome :)

You're doing a good job so far. Getting Kisa on an all wet diet and learning to test is important.

I would try to get a mid-cycle test whenever you can. You want to know how low the insulin dose is taking Kisa.
    That would happen at the nadir, which with Lantus is generally around 5 to 6 hours after the shot is given.
    If you get a test that is lower than normal for him, I would test again in 1 to 2 hours.
    If you get a test that is under 100, I would test again in 1 hour, and post the number on this board.
    If you get a test that is under 60, I would feed, and test again in 30 minutes, and post the number.
    Those are just some general guidelines. If you're ever not sure or nervous about what to do, just ask.

38. Deb & Wink

The testing schedule needs to fit around all your other life and family responsibilities. Try to pick a time that will work consistently for you, as close to 12 hours apart as you can make the times. With most insulins, the test, feed, shoot cycle should all be in about a 15 minute timeframe. The NPH insulins like Novolin or Humulin need a slightly different schedule and order.

We always strongly encourage you to get that pre-shot test. You don't want to shoot the insulin if the number is too low.

Since we all live in different time zones around the world, we use a plus hour system so we are all on the same page as far as hours from the shot and understand how much time has elapsed. Shot time is hour zero, called AMPS for morning pre-shot test, PMPS for evening pre-shot test. The times are then counted and expressed as elapsed time from the shot.

One hour after shot = +1, 2 hours after shot = +2, 6 hours after shot = +6, seven and a half hours after shot = +7.5. So if you shoot at 9, then 10 would be a +1 for example. Some days you may end up shooting earlier or later. That is still hour zero, and the elapsed times are still counted in + hour increments. For example, you may not shoot until 10 am one morning. That is your AMPS and 11 am would be your +1.

Understand?

39. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

It depends on your work schedule but i would do

8.30am test feed shoot
    2-4pm mid cycle test (depending on whether you are home - otherwise do at weekends)
    8.30pm test feed shoot
    11pm before bed test

Wendy

40. Derek

Derek Member

I haven't been awake to do his mid-cycle tests, but here are his recent numbers:
    303 7am, 11/13
    285 7pm, 11/13

359 7am, 11/14 (I don't have 7pm numbers because I couldn't get blood after 4 tries)

349 7am, 11/15
    225 7pm, 11/15 (No shot on this one, his numbers looked good by the range you told me)

350 7am, 11/16
    289 7pm, 11/16

41. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Those numbers aren't bad but of course we don't know if he is dropping too low. Or staying this high all day. Neither are good.

Can you get a before bed test at 9pm?

Wendy

42. Derek

Derek Member

I can try, though I got home late tonight because of an event, he's just now getting fed

43. Derek

Derek Member

I've been informed by a woman at Petsmart that Kisa is, in fact, a Bombay.

On that note, here are his numbers. I haven't had the chance to do his mid cycles, it's been a very hectic week

334 7am, 11/17
    321 7pm, 11/17

296 7am, 11/18
    247 1pm, 11/18

349 8am, 11/19
    176 10:30pm, 11/19

385 7am, 11/20

369 5:52 am. 11/21
    280 7:04pm, 11/21

371 7am, 11/22
    347 10:46pm, 11/22

294 7am, 11/23

424 7am, 11/24
    300 7pm, 11/24

439 7am, 11/25
    348 7pm, 11/25

44. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

You always shoot at 7pm and 7am right? Are you shooting every 12 hours consistently? give or take 30 mins?

I assume you didn't shoot at 1pm on the 18th right?

Wendy

45. Derek

Derek Member

On the 18th I was trying to do a mid-cycle, he got a test, but no shot. There's no night recording because after 4 attempts, I couldn't get blood. But yes, consistently 12 hours apart, feed at 6, test/shoot at 7

46. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Ok makes sense. Can I suggest though you test first then feed? We recommend no food for two hours prior to the shot because you don't want the preshot test influenced by food.. Because a food spike will make his preshot level look higher than it is and when the food wears off, he could suddenly drop too low. So all these numbers you have could just be the food spike.

I am interested in the night of the 19th.. I wonder how much lower he dropped that night. I would definately try and get another test in 2-3 Hours when you see a number under 200. And as a newbie I wouldn't shoot under 175 for now.

Wendy

47. Derek

Derek Member

The cold weather (and my unexplained nocturnal shift) have kept me asleep during the day, keeping me from doing mid cycle checks. There are a few gaps in my numbers, usually because even though I take his blood and do his shot, in the process of putting everything away, I completely forget to write down the numbers. I'm gonna start taking paper with me when I do it. Anyway, his numbers:

Forgot the morning numbers
    160 7pm, 11/26

354 7am, 11/27
    377 7pm, 11/27

326 7pm, 11/29

212 7am, 11/30

367 7pm, 12/01

247 8am, 12/02

12/03 = didn't get the numbers written down before I forgot them

369 8pm, 12/04

Forgot to write the numbers down in time on 12/05
    359 10am, 12/06
    367 10pm, 12/06

345 9am, 12/07
    Couldn't get blood on first three tries

Forgot Numbers
    294 8pm, 12/08

I'm trying to keep him up to date and get his numbers, even though I'm not posting everything daily.

48. Sue and Oliver (GA)

We have a very useful Google spreadsheet that you can use to keep track of your numbers and share with us. Since your life seems a bit hectic right now, would you like me to set one up for you? If so, reply to my private message. It's at the top of the page "1 new message"

49. Sue and Oliver (GA)

We are working on Kisa's spreadsheet and will have it in the signature soon. Here is the data so far.

Kisa's SS

50. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Thats great to see the spreadsheet. Really need to see some mid cycle numbers to know how the dose is working though.

Wendy

51. Derek

Derek Member

Won't be able to do new tests, as I've run out of strips, does anyone have a recommendation on a good place to by strips for the contour reader? The place we called wanted about $60

52. Deb & Wink

Where in the world do you live?

If you update your user control panel in the upper right of the screen, click on the profile tab, click on edit profile from the menu on the left, there is a field just for location. Update that field, submit to save and it will show up in your posts. That way we won't have to keep asking.

53. Derek

Derek Member

Largo in Florida

54. Deb & Wink

for 50 strips

$52.98 at Walmart
    $66.99 at Walgreens
    $25.99 at americandiabeteswholesale.com

$19.99 at diabeticcare.com

for 100 strips
    ebay.com - $30
    amazon.com - $29.62
    CVS - $122.49

Huge range in prices as you can see.

55. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

You can also look into getting another meter like the Walmart ReliOns where the strips are even cheaper (it does mean shopping at Walmart, though :? ).
    ReliOn Prime: $9 for 50 strips
    ReliOn Micro/Confirm: $36 for 100 strips

56. Derek

Derek Member

Went with the Ebay option. With any luck, it'll arrive today, so I can resume getting his numbers, though I'll be gone most of the day for birthday stuff

57. Deb & Wink

Ooooohhhh! Birthday Stuff! Sounds like fun. Happy B'day to the lucky person.

Let us know how things are going.

58. Derek

Derek Member

It's my birthday, and thanks. We're giving him his insulin when he eats, and I keep an eye on him after to make sure he doesn't have any ill effects

59. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

No shopping at WalMart for the generic version, the Arkray Glucocard 01 or 01 mini, which are identical to the ReliOn Confirm.

60. Derek

Derek Member

Alright, here are all of his numbers from December 9th to January 8th. Any gaps in the numbers are due to one of a few things: Either that was when I had no strips (or I couldn't get blood within three tries), or because events conspired to keep me from checking his blood within two hours of him eating, or I did test him and gave him his shot but forgot to write the numbers down. Sorry it's been so long since I posted them, but I have at least been tracking them.

362 8pm, 12/09

330 9am, 12/10
    316 9pm, 12/10

309 10am, 12/11
    333 10pm, 12/11

268 10am, 12/12
    Couldn't get the blood

393 10am, 12/13
    303 10pm, 12/13

273 1pm, 12/14
    403 1am, 12/14 (technically the 15th)

257 10:45am, 12/26
    407 9:00pm, 12/26

347 10:30am, 12/30
    220 10:30pm, 12/30

349 11:00pm, 01/01

356 9:00pm, 01/02

Forgot numbers on the third

357 1:30pm, 01/04
    Forgot Numbers for second set

Missed window
    329 11:00pm, 1/05

285 9:00am, 1/06
    253 9:00pm, 1/06

283 11:00am, 01/07
    186 9:30pm, 01/07

387 12:00pm, 01/08
    286 10:00pm, 01/08

61. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Its great and important that you get these numbers because you don't want to shoot when he is too low.

But in terms of how this dose is working we just can't tell. Remember that pre shot tests are measuring the highest blood sugar of the day - but you want to base dose changes on the lowest blood sugar because you don't want to raise dose if the insulin is taking him too low.
    Without mid cycle tests to see how low the insulin is taking him, we can't see if he needs more or less insulin or anything. He may be getting too much insulin or not enough. Cant tell.

Wendy

62. Derek

Derek Member

It'll probably be a bit before I can do the mid cycle tests, money is tight for the next month or so, and I can only afford enough strips for the month, to do 2 tests a day right now. And if I don't get his numbers, I don't shoot at all, so I don't risk crashing him.

63. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Go buy a walmart relion meter - they are cheaper by about half!

64. Derek

Derek Member

I think I'm down to like, 150 units in the insulin pen. I THINK that's about 75 doses

65. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yes, 150 units/ (2 shots of 1 unit) = 75 days.

66. Derek

Derek Member

Here's his latest numbers since the last update. Incidently, his insulin is starting to get low. It should last the month though. Hopefully next month I'll have enough strips to start checking him 4 times a day.

248 9:00am, 01/09
    335 11:00pm 01/09

Woke up at 1pm, didn't think it was good to give him shot that late
    335 9:00pm 01/10

No numbers for the 11th. I somehow managed to oversleep and forgot to feed him until 6pm, throwing his entire schedule off. I didn't think accurate numbers would've been had, and without numbers, too dangerous to give him insulin. Will resume readings tomorrow.

387 7:00am, 01/12
    283 7:00pm, 01/12

238 7:00am, 01/13
    348 7:00pm, 01/13

367 7:00am, 01/14
    289 7:00am, 01/14

450 7:00am, 01/15
    323 7:00pm, 01/15

218 7:00am, 01/16
    355 7:00pm, 01/16

351 7:00am, 01/17
    346 7:00pm, 01/17

322 7:00am, 01/18
    301 7:00pm, 01/18

263 7:00am, 01/19
    273 7:00pm, 01/19

191 7:00am, 01/20
    334 7:00pm, 01/20

67. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

We have no idea how low he is going and cannot make any suggestions on dose because of it. Tests around the likely nadir at +5 to +7 hours after the shot are how doses are generally adjusted.

That said, using the Secondary Monitoring Tools in my signature can provide some useful info.
    The 5 Ps:
    Peeing (volume, frequency, ketones), water consumption, dehydration checks?
    Poohing?
    Preening/grooming?
    Playing/activity?
    Purring/contentment signs?

You may find this older protocol helpful until you can geet more testing strips.

68. Derek

Derek Member

Not sure about the peeing, though when he misses insulin it does make his litter muddy to the point where it never dries properly.

Pooing, he does regularly, usually in the hour between eating and testing, with a strong smell to it.

He grooms a lot, though part of that is probably because of fleas (they're not cooperating with their own destruction very well, have to spray again soon)

He doesn't play much, though he'll play a bit with a laser until he gets bored of chasing it.

And he's very purry and affectionate, he usually sleeps at the foot of my bed, near my pillow, or on the pillow with his stomach resting on my head. He's stayed in my room for the past two weeks because it's been cold and I have a mini heater, and apparently his breed seeks out heat obsessively.

69. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Hi just reading about your beautiful boy and thought I would send him tons of Healing green light to surround him and hell in his recovery. Angels to also surround you and thank you for helping Kisa he is beautiful Hugs prayers and tons of Angels to help you both.
    It is a long and costly journey with a sick animal but they will love us all the more for what we do for them.....stay positive .... Kathleen & Trey

70. Derek

Derek Member

I'm not even sure how to read that thing personally, but I think the one who made it was updating it for me, which is fortunate. Next month I should have enough strips to do more readings per day. So, what do I do when his insulin is out?

71. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Unless he tests low enough, he'll need more insulin.

Are you saying you cannot afford more insulin? If so, you may wish to apply to DCIN (Diabetic Cats in Need), as well as read up on how to get it more affordably (details here)

72. Derek

Derek Member

Already applied to that, and the "can't read that thing" line was me looking at the wrong page, was referring to the spreadsheet that someone made to track his numbers. I can read his meter just fine. And while I don't post his numbers daily, I do track them, and upload them en masse so as not to flood this topic. So, how do I tell them when his insulin is getting low and he needs more?

73. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Understanding the spreadsheet:

Each day is 1 row. Each column stores different data for the day.

From left to right, you enter
    the Date in the first column
    the AMPS (morning pre-shot test) in the 2nd column
    the Units given (turquoise column)

Then, there are 11 columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you test at +5 (5 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +5 column
    If you test at +7 (7 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +5 column
    and so on.

Halfway across the page is the column for PMPS (evening pre-shot)
    To the right is another turquoise column for Units given at the evening shot.

There is second set of columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you snag a before bed test at +3, you enter the test number in the +3 column.

We separate day and night numbers like that because many cats go lower at night.

74. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You should have a case worker to contact.

Instructions for creating the spreadsheet we all use. This is where you should put your numbers.

75. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Hi Derek. Funny that you might be looking for DCIN because I sent you an email on Tuesday AM looking for you. Will you please check your emails (including your spam box) for it? If you can't find my email (maybe you changed email addresses since you and your DCIN case manager last spoke), will you please email me at Venita@dcin.info? Thanks! ~Venita

76. Derek

Derek Member

Found the email, it went to the junk mail box, dug it out, added you to contacts and replied

77. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Received your email and writing response now.

78. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

By the way - there is absolutely no math in doing the spreadsheet.

Its really just a grid you record the numbers in. That's it.

79. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Derek, I am the one who set up your spreadsheet. If you want help with figuring it out, please check your private messages and we'll go over it together.

80. Derek

Derek Member

Currently having technical difficulties with the spreadsheet, working to get it sorted out. Until then, here are Kisa's latest numbers. Once I started the 3-4 testings a day, I switched the order around. I was told by someone to feed him, wait an hour, then test. The 3-4x a day tests are on a test, then feed schedule

365 7:00am, 01/21
    282 7:00pm, 01/21

284 7:00am, 01/22
    350 7:00pm, 01/22

265 7:00am, 01/23
    332 7:00pm, 01/23

237 7:00am, 01/24
    357 7:00pm, 01/24

256 7:00am, 01/25
    304 8:30pm, 01/25

217 7:00am, 01/26

No Strips

308 6:00am, 01/30
    322 12:00pm, 01/30
    337 6:00pm, 01/30

342 6:00am, 01/31
    Slept through Noon
    185 6:00pm, 01/31
    375 12:00am, 02/01

334 6:00am, 02/01
    188 12:00pm, 02/01 (Improvised breakfast)
    80 6:00pm, 02/01
    399 12:00am, 02/02

399 6:00am, 02/02
    310 12:00pm, 02/02
    315 6:00pm, 02/02
    477 12:00am, 02/03 (gave another dose)

118 6:00am, 02/03
    167 12:00pm, 02/03
    229 6:00am, 02/03
    273 12:00am, 02/04

224 7:00am, 02/04
    ??? 12:00pm, 02/04
    197 7:00pm, 02/04
    270 12:00am, 02/05

387 6:00am, 02/05
    156 12:00pm, 02/05
    416 6:00pm, 02/05

329 6:00am, 02/06
    349 12:00pm, 02/06
    270 6:00pm, 02/06
    361 12:00am, 02/07

374 7:00am, 02/07
    374 6:00pm, 02/07
    147 12:00am, 02/08

68 6:00am, 02/08
    362 12:00pm, 02/08
    437 8:00pm, 02/08

81. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Derek, did you get my email and pm about your ss?

82. Derek

Derek Member

I tried that one, every time I enter data, the space stays blank

83. Sue and Oliver (GA)

The new one I sent to your email? You can open it, right? I don't understand it. We both have access to the same ss and I can edit it.

84. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

That suggests you are not logged in to Google Drive/docs or you have a read-only view of the file.
    Try logging in to to Google first, then using the link she gave you.

If you still can't edit the file, try File, Make a Copy, which may save it in your account, then allow you to edit.

85. Derek

Derek Member

I think the issue might be that it logs me in to the google account I use with Gmail

86. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That might be it. If you send me your gmail address (by private message) I'll send a new copy to that address. Then, each time, make sure you are signed onto Goggle with that address.

87. Derek

Derek Member

Kisa's latest numbers are up on his sheet. Just did his curve test, testing him every two hours after his injection. Tested, injected, fed, and tested again on the schedule. Seems like the 2 unit dose isn't going far, or doing much

88. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Derek, the spreadsheet in your signature is the one that ends 12/13. Your updated spreadsheet is called Kisa's Spreadsheet2 and is not in your signature. If you want, check your pms and I will tell you how to change it.

89. Derek

Derek Member

There, change is made, thanks for the help

90. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Great! Looks good. Derek, I would start a new topic. Your new numbers will get lost down at the end of this one. Maybe one with topic like "Curve with Lantus. Need input. "

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.