Introducing myself--Cat and Buster

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BraveCat, Oct 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BraveCat

BraveCat Member

Hi, everyone! First, thanks SO MUCH for this forum! I've been using the website as a resource all summer, learning a little bit at a time as to what it means to be caretaker to a diabetic cat, but now it's time I come out of my "shy" shell and actually JOIN the forum, because Buster and I really need help!

Buster was an abandoned stray, probably because he had diabetes so severely. A cat rescue received him, and 2 weeks later, I was his foster mom. This was back in February 2019. Buster has come a long way on his healing journey since then, and he is a very grateful sweetheart of a boy!

On Monday morning, I started the online spreadsheet for him, and I wrote a detailed narration about our journey of "dosing" him with Prozinc and feeding him with LC cat food. (See our Bravecat profile--named because we are both brave!)

I'm at the point though, where I don't know what to do anymore. We *thought* he was regulated and approaching remission at the end of August. (He was down to 1.5 units from a high of 6). But then we had a week away where we left him home with other visiting caretakers, followed by another week away at the end of September, and his numbers haven't recovered. They are all over the place! The past several cycles show rainbow colors. Is he "bouncing"? Should I maintain his dose? Lower it a bit? Raise it? Our vet is supportive as vets go, but I get the impression he's not sure what to do, either. ie I don't want to simply raise the dose again if that's the wrong thing for Buster. Buster is now healthy other than his diabetes (he's guess-timated at 8 years old).

Sorry for writing a novel! Thanks for any and all suggestions. --Cat

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you for taking this Brave cat in and taking such good care of him. I had an orange Buster many years ago.

If you post about your concerns in the Health Forum where more people will see them and respond.
    (There's a bit of a posting delay for new members. It prevents spammers. Be patient and try again a few minutes later.)

3. BraveCat

BraveCat Member

Thank you so much! :) Will do!

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Cat, I just wanted to add my welcome to you and Buster. You are in the right place to find information and support while you continue learning the sugar dance with Buster. Best wishes going forward, so glad you are here.

5. BraveCat

BraveCat Member

Thank you, Lou!
    Idjit is adorable. I'm LOLing at the visual of him sitting at his feeding station, sending you pointed looks. Just like Buster. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.