Introducing NutterButter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by nutterbutter, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nutterbutter

nutterbutter Member

Hi...I'm new here. One of my cats, Nutter, was recently diagnosed with diabetes. Here's his story.

Nutter is 9 years old. Last year he weighed about 26 pounds (I kept telling myself he was just "big boned"....yeah, right!!!). Anyway, I noticed a loss of weight about this time last year...not much, just a couple of pounds. He seemed to be hugging the water bowl a lot. I did some internet research and decided to take both my cats of dry food and switch to a high protein, low carb canned food diet for them. They adapted rather quickly, much to my delight.

Nutter kept losing some weight but it was very slowly and I attributed it to the change in diet. He no longer hugged the water bowl. Everything seemed fine. About three months ago, he started acting ravenous and continued to lose weight. One day I looked down at him and was horrified to see how thin he was. I weighed him and he was 13 pounds. Yikes.

I made an appointment with the vet. By the time I got him there a few days later he was down to 12 3/4 pounds. He was diagnosed with diabetes and by the time I got him back the following week, he was down to 12 1/4 pounds. He was put on 2 units of ProZinc twice a day and fed one can of Purina DM twice a day. The vet tried to get me to use the dry food of the Purina DM (for dental health, I'm told), but I won't have any part of that. His gums are nice and pink right now and I'll brush his teeth if necessary, but NO DRY FOOD.

I took him back for his follow up visit, and he weighed 13 pounds. But his numbers were still up so the insulin was increased to 3 units twice a day.

On Tuesday, I take him in for his first curve. I am just starting to attempt home testing. That's not going very well yet, but I'll get the hang of it yet. Having two cats definitely makes it more difficult. I have to feed them in separate rooms to make sure Nutter is geting his own food. My other cat, Boo, is on canned only with a variety of different types that are high protein and low carb.

This site has been a wealth of information for me so I'm not so overwhelmed with the whole process. It is definetly a commitment to be on his schedule, but at least until he's regulated, I don't want to miss one insulin injection becasue I came home too late.

Linda
    a/k/a Nutter's Mom

Attached Files:

2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

hi guys and welcome to the site! I don't have much advice to give you, but I know others will be here shortly. I am glad you are starting to hometest, even though it might take awhile it is soooo worth it. And I have to add in that nutterbutter is absolutely gorgeous!

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. Love the name and he's adorable. yes I have a thing for the black.white cat. Anyway, I'm going to tell you what I tell all newbies:

There are three key factors to managing diabetes: food/nutrition, home testing and insulin

1) Feline Nutrition: Now, as far as diet - definitely dump the dry food (if you are feeding any) and if the vet recommends purchasing prescription food like DM just say "no thank you". ALL cats, and especially those with diabetes, do best on a species appropriate diet that is high in protein and low in carbs. Dry food DOES NOT fit that bill and DM food, even canned, just really isn't that great as far as quality. Most here on FDMB feed low carb/high protein canned, raw bought from a pet store or they make there own.

Here great links, one is to a food chart put together by one of our board members that breaks down the carb % and protein % of most of the commercial brand foods. You want to keep the carb % below 10% and around 7% is great. The other link is to a site by a vet "Dr. Lisa DVM" ... who also posts on this board from time to time ... there is in-depth info. there about many things, including nutrition and how to make raw food.
    Nutrition/food info

The good thing with feeding your diabetic cat this way, is that it is ALSO good for any non-diabetic cat too. All your cats can safely eat the same food without worry and it may save you some costs and headaches of having to do separate feedings and keeping track of what they are eating.

2. Home testing: It is impossible to convey the value of testing your cat's BG (blood glucose) level at home. Some vets will "suggest" this, but most won't even mention it. They will send you home with insulin and an amount to shoot and maybe some instructions about hypoglycemia (blood sugar dropping to a dangerously low level).

Well, the thing is, human diabetics don't EVER give themselves insulin without checking there BG to make sure it is safe to do so, so why shouldn't it be the same for our kitties. Here on FDMB it is. You will notice that the vast majority of people here test their cat's BG at least 2x/day (before giving each shot to make sure the level is safe enough) and periodically at other times to see how the cat is responding to the current dose. We use a human glucometer, test strips and lancets - which are all very readily available and easy to use.

Our kitties get lots of love and treats for "putting up" with this and most of them actually come out to be tested on their own 'cause they want those treats . Here is a collection of great links that "Carolyn and Spot" pulled together about hometesting. See what you think ... it truly is the best way to not only keep Your cat safe but also really get a handle on this disease and help him to live a healthy life with FD (feline diabetes).

Home testing Links

3. Insulin: There are several types of insulin available. Many people, myself included use Lantus or Levimer both of which are great insulins. They are gentle insulin and given twice (BID) per day in 12 hour increments. Or you could also choose PZI or the new version called Prozinc.

Please read up on the insulins available, here is a link to the Insulin Support Groups:

Insulin Support Groups

However, one caveat and again this shows how these three things are inter-related:

If you are feeding dry food or even a high carb food, BEFORE removing these foods, please make sure of your insulin dose as it will most likely need to be reduced, so as to avoid a possible hypoglycemic situation due to the removal of the dry/high carb foods that will lower the BG’s and reduce the amount of insulin required. Again, another reason why home testing is important.

I know this all seems like a lot, and that's because it is ... there is a learning curve here. But as long as you are determined and keep at it, you will have it down before you know it and you'll be seeing the results in Your cat' overall health and happiness. Ask all the questions you can think of - that's why we are here!

Also, if you haven't done it yet, take the time and fill out your profile. It will help when others come on and read this. Also, let us know where you live - city/state as there are probably people in your area who can provide on the ground support and help you to learn home testing, etc.

4. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi & Welcome,

I don't have much to add except that there are Insulin Support groups also, Prozinc is included in the PZI group.

There is much more traffic on Health so this is the best place to post.

Hometesting will become easier and become part of your routine very soon.

Keep reading, keep asking questions.

We're glad you found us.

5. nutterbutter

nutterbutter Member

I went out and got larger lancets to see if I could get a bigger blood sample to test Nutter. I think it might work (although there was serious drama on the first attempt....followed, of course, with a Beef Jerkey Treat from Wellness. My biggest problem, however, my other cat. There's some serious sibling rivalry going on recently. I have to make sure I give each one equal attention so giving Nutter some pats and praise prior to testing is getting Boo jealous and then the fighting starts. I tried taking Nutter to the bedroom to do this uninterrupted but the meowing from Boo outside the door was getting Nutter's attention. So another failed attempt. Maybe next time I'll put Boo in the bedroom with some food to keep him occupied. All I know is, at this point Mom needs a treat....chilling a bottle of Chardonnay to chill out Mom!!!

Promise me this gets better, pretty please

Linda

6. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Maybe you should try testing Boo. That may change his mind. :lol:

7. nutterbutter

nutterbutter Member

Good idea!! Why didn't I think of that! I did give him a treat also because I would never have heard the end of the whining. It's a good thing they are both so cute.

Linda

8. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

Hi!

Just wanted to welcome you and say that Nutterbutter is an amazingly cute cat! And I thought my Porky was big at 20 lbs.!

Good luck with your sugar dance here....good thoughts sent your way for Nutterbutter going OTJ sometime in the (near) future!

9. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Linda
    Welcome to FDMB. We were Lantus uers until April when my Max went off insulin.
    I do understand the jealousy that goes on as I have 2 other kitties.
    When the microwave went off after warming Max's rice sock he would go running to
    his testing chair and his sisters would come running too.
    I made sure to make a sepearate little plate of treats for the other 2
    while I tested Max so they would be happy and distracted too.
    Everyone will get used to the routine so don't worry.
    Your nutter is gorgeous!
    Good luck
    You found the right place here.

10. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

It definitely does get better. The first few weeks can be hell. You're nervous. Therefore the cat's nervous. All this testing and poking and measuring and new paraphernalia. It's all a Really Big Deal. You're both freaking out. I'm blessed with a cat who can purr and sleep through ear pokes, but he wasn't that way initially. Hang in there. You'll find the rhythm.
    (and yup, the other cats caught on about the special treat after pokeys REALLY fast :roll:)

11. nutterbutter

nutterbutter Member

Thanks for the encouragement. Tomorrow is his first curve at the vets. I'll see if I can get some advice there as well.

I'm making sure that I give him ear pats throughout the day so he doesn't associate them with the lancet. But I'm stubborn. Nutter and I will learn to do this.

Thanks again.

Linda

12. nutterbutter

nutterbutter Member

I thought I should also introduce Boo, the civilian. He's 8 years old and Nutter and Boo came as a set from the shelter. They are best friends and worst enemies all at the same time.

I look forward to all your kind words of encouragement. I never thought I'd be doing this, but it is what it is and I'll give him the best chance ever to be OTJ.

Linda

Attached Files:

13. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Wow Linda you have some handsome sons there. Love the pic of them side by side looking outside. I know all too well the best friends/worst enemies thing...but hey that is what a sibling is for right?

Mel & Muse (GA) + 10 civies & 1 drooler

14. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Such pretty kitties you have!
    I can also relate to the jealousy that happens - my civvie Booboo never liked attention before but she seems to want some now because of all the attention I give to Shadoe and Oliver. I am sure they feel left out, especially in the beginning when we are overly concerned with our new dx of diabetes. After a bit, things settle down for everyone.

As for the curves, after tomorrow's, you can do your own curves and save yourself alot of money and eliminate the stress for Nutter. Nobody likes being at the dr's office and many cats are pretty stressed when at the vets. As a result, the numbers you get from the vet's curve is not going to be a true picture.

Before you go to the vet's tomorrow, test Nutter at home, take your meter with you to the vet's, test Nutter when at the vet's, and then when you pick him up to go home, test him at the vet's just before you leave. When you get home, test him after maybe an hour or so, after he has had a chance to settle down. All those tests will be telling.

My Shadoe tests high at the vets; my Oliver goes very low, so I know to take him some food to be sure his numbers don't go too low while at the vets.

Quite often, people do their own curves, testing every 2 hours on a day on the weekend or some other convenient time for you. You will be able to see how Nutter is reacting to his dose.

15. cjleo

cjleo Member

Hi Linda,

Welcome to the board from a neighbor working in Duxbury, MA. Sorry, you have to be here, but you have found the best place to help you and your NutterButter.

If you are looking for help with testing, let me know. I test 5 diabetic cats (plus me) everyday. Two are adopted, 4 are fosters available for new homes.

You can send me a PM (private message) and we'll work out contact info.

Good luck,

Claudia

16. nutterbutter

nutterbutter Member

Thanks Claudia, I will definitely be in touch.

Linda

17. Barb and Lance

Barb and Lance New Member

You've found a great and amazing place to get a wealth of advice from many people!

Good luck with the sugar dance....I've been trying for 3 weeks with very little luck. Lance squirms away right as I get the meter right up to the blood drop. It may very well be the lancet's that are causing his problem (just realized that! lol) Lance is/was on ProZinc 2u 2x day and just came back from his first curve with a very happy note that changing the diet from Purina Indoor to the wet low carb Special Kitty (from wal-mart) has brought him down enough that the vet is optimistic that he doesn't need insulin anymore. The food list here was a huge help and I still use it to help give the cats a variety of low carb foods. All 3 are now low carb wet eaters and I do have some Blue Wilderness (carb % 18) dry that I can use if Lance seems to be a bit sluggish and needs a little boost but they definitely don't like it very much.

Take deep breaths and know that it's a learning process...but there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.