Introducing Sam

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Melanie Lesko, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melanie Lesko

Melanie Lesko New Member

My Sam is about 9 years old and was just diagnosed with Diabetes on Friday. We have just begun insulin this morning and just continuing to pray for my Sam man to get back to himself. Will be checking in regularly as I am beyond scared with the task in front of my hubby and I as well as dealing with family issues right now. Welcome words of encouragement and looking forward to a long future with Sam.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! It will all become routine before you know it.

Melanie Lesko likes this.
  3. Melanie Lesko

Melanie Lesko New Member

Thanks

4. FurBabiesMama

Share a photo of Sam when you get a chance. :)

5. Melanie Lesko

Melanie Lesko New Member

20150207_182344.jpg am horrible with getting pictures downloaded and clearly can't get into right spot but will work on it

6. Melanie Lesko

Melanie Lesko New Member

Yeah there's my boy

7. FurBabiesMama

Awww, hi, Sam :cat:

8. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Melanie and Sam. He's a fine looking boy and I'm glad you found the board. Lots of information and support in this next adventure in life. Are you also home testing as well as giving insulin? It's a very important tool to help keep Sam safe and you can learn how here on the board. :cat:

9. Jenna and Widget

Jenna and Widget New Member

Aww, Sam is such a handsome boy!
    Widget here was just diagnosed recently as well. I have been reading thru threads and am actually feeling a bit stronger in my ability to handle her life change. I hope you will too. We got this!

10. Melanie Lesko

Melanie Lesko New Member

Morning all, so I am currently away from home with a family issue and my husband has been taking care of Sam. He says shots are going good and he seems to be getting back to himself. I am hoping I can be as good with shots if he has to go away. He has a follow-up appt on Monday so hopefully I will have some good news to share.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Jenna and Widget likes this.
  11. Idjit's mom

I'm glad to hear you have help at home with Sam. I will caution you and DH however, to learn to home test and keep Sam safe. Home testing goes hand in hand with the insulin injections, to help prevent dangerous and possibly life threatening hypos. Please read the information in this link, there are stickies about hypos and the Index includes information about testing.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/health-links-faqs-about-feline-diabetes.14/

12. Melanie Lesko

Melanie Lesko New Member

Hello, everyone has talked about home testing but my vet has not mentioned it yet. I am wondering if she might be waiting for his first week appointment which is tomorrow. I like and trust my vet and am not looking for a new one but looking for more advice and testing info. Recommendations for best meter, how often and when to test. Hubby has been doing everything so far, just not sure he can handle testing until I get home in another week. Sam is transitioning to wet food, oh loving it by the way. Will hopefully have good appointment tomorrow and some numbers to share.

13. Idjit's mom

Hi Melanie, I don't know what your vet is waiting for and I think it's marvelous that you like and trust her. That's a real plus. Some vets tell people not to bother, some want people to come into the office for weekly tests which can run into some money. Some vets tell people it hurts the cat, most cats don't like their ears messed with, and have very few nerve endings in the area we use. Some vets tell people it will destroy the bond between pet parent and pet, it doesn't. Many members report that their babies come running so they get their special testing treat. I have read that most vets just aren't educated enough in Feline Diabetes and make recommendations in ignorance, not malice.

I just encourage every new member to home test, because I know it's a very important tool in keeping your kitty safe, as well as knowing how the insulin is affecting the body. We shot blind, like you are doing, and Idjit had a hypo. Others here have done the same thing, and some fur babies have died or ended up at Animal Emergency. Humans test before injecting, so they know if it's safe to do so. You wouldn't inject insulin into a child unless you knew if it was safe, same principle. Many members use the Relion human meter from Walmart, because it's affordable and the testing strips are affordable and in most cases, easily accessible. Some members use a pet meter, like the AlphaTrak2, it is more expensive, the strips are more expensive and you have to order online, and wait for them to arrive. If you go through a lot of strips and run out before you have a new supply on hand, you are out of luck. Some members that use the AlphaTrack2 use FreeStyle Lite strips and that works for them, they order from EBay and get good deals.

My recommendation is start simple, get the Relion Confirm or Micro meter. It takes a very small drop of blood
    Relion Confirm or Micro Glucometer from Walmart
    100 Test strips
    Cotton balls or rounds
    Vaseline
    28 Gauge lancets (It's up to you if you want to use the lancet device)
    Pain Relief Ointment

Test at least before every injection on your 12 hour schedule, and then when you can during the day to see how the insulin is affecting Sam, find what his low point is. Testing at your bedtime is also good, most cats go lower at night.

Another note: it's really important if you are transitioning to low carb wet food to test. This lowers blood sugar, and if you are not testing you may not be able to detect or prevent a hypo. We transitioned Idjit off dry to low carb wet food and his BG went down FAST. Within a month, with the insulin support he was in remission, off the juice, no more insulin. If you aren't going to test until you get home, don't change Sam's food and take a chance. We still test Idjit, every so often, to reassure ourselves that the remission is holding.

I am sorry this is long, I suggest again that you bring these questions and concerns to the Main Forum so that other members can respond. Also, it would be good to know what type of insulin you are giving and the dosage. Just click on this link: MAIN FORUM

I am also giving you a link by and for other members about home testing, so that you can see how important this issue is:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/for-anyone-debating-home-glucose-testing.197951/#post-2215546

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Reason for edit: Add comments
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.