Introducing Templeton

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Templeton, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Templeton

Templeton New Member

I’m hoping I’m doing this in the right place!

I’ve been on the fb group for a few weeks and now that the holidays have slowed down it’s time for me to try to figure out this site.

Templeton is a 12+ year old male. He was diagnosed with diabetes a few weeks ago. But he’s a complicated case because he was also diagnosed with a liver shunt and triaditis in 2018, blind in early 2019 and a heart murmur a couple months before the diabetes diagnosis. Because of his liver issues he needs to be on a low protein diet (vet is on holidays but has been doing some research on diet for him) And he’s on steroids for his IBD.
    I’m having a heck of a time figuring out a regular dose of insulin for him. He’s getting lantus. Started with 1 unit but because his numbers are jumping all over the place he’s had to skip doses and have reduced doses. Sometimes he’s at the low end of normal and sometimes it’s really high. I still need to find the spreadsheet and get his info onto there.

We are monitoring at home. The number of times/day vary depending on what his numbers have been doing but at the very least it’s before each meal and usually again a few hours after eating.

I’m not exactly sure how his quality of life is going to be if things continue for him as they are. He’s a grouchy old man, always has been. He likes his food ok but doesn’t eat quite enough and is slowly losing weight. He spends most of his time sleeping...until someone is in the kitchen haha. He does still very randomly get snuggly. But he’s definitely not happy with me lately with all this poking.

So yeah. We are here. I’m still totally lost with this information overload but I’m happy to have somewhere with all this info and support.
    thanks for having us!

Attached Files:

Matt & Maus and Julia Rae like this.
  2. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

First of all BREATH and welcome.. and know that Templeton is in the best of hands.. yours. In regards to his other medical issues I have no knowledge base to draw from. But Lantus that I do know and know rather well.. Lantus is a resavor <sp> insulin, and i9t takes a bit of time to build up. That and what is called here new dose wonkyness. It would really help if you could get the spread sheet up. As that is going to be your most powerful tool to beat this. It also helps others (members) to help the two of you. I know that this is scary and your likely terrified but if can be done and YOU can do it, you just have to trust your self and do what you know is best.

3. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Welcome! We are glad to have you and Templeton with us and great that you are hometesting.

To get you started, you might want to read this post (click on dark blue to left) to tell you how to your signature block and spreadsheet set up so we can best help you.

This post has many, many helpful links to resources to help you on your FD journey with Templeton.

We don’t want to overwhelm you so look through the first post I linked and let us know your questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.