introducing Truffles

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anne Biddle, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Hi I’m Anne and moved to Maine from the U.K. 2 years ago with three cats and two dogs! I used to breed Norwegian Forest Cats and Truffles is a half NFC who will be 14 in August. I found out today he has diabetes and will be going back Thursday to learn how to give him his shots. (Hate needles but I’ll get over it). I took him as he was losing weight, drinking lots and peeing in inappropriate places! I’m hoping that this will stop once he is stabilized? Vet advised feeding grain free wet food and grain free dry for my other two. Guessing I will have to stop free feeding as I notice dry food is not recommended.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! Which one is Truffles in the photo? They are all pretty. :)

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! That's a big move! I hope you like it here. :). Your kitties are beautiful!

Just be aware that grain free is not necessarily low carb. They will substitute grains with potatoes, peas and carrots. Your best bet is to get low carb wet food all of them. Most here feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods. There are only a handful of diabetic friendly dry foods. Even the perscription dry is too high in carbs.

4. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Truffles is the one at the front, Thalia is the white NFC and Minxy (her daughter and huge) is the black smoke NFC. Truffles has been grain intolerant for years hence grain free. I have ordered the Fancy Feast classic for him having read the chart and it’s grain free so will see how he goes He was in the hospital last year with a urinary blockage and tested fine for diabetes then. He was put on the CD Hills diet food but it hasn’t really agreed with him and I’m actually wondering if that hasn’t helped him with regards the diabetes. I had just recently changed to a dry grain free with blueberries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.