Introducing Victor

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by H.M. Victor (GA), Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

Hello all, I'm literally trying to hold back tears as I type this (and being unsuccessful). My name is Heather and my and my mom's beloved, 11 year old fur-baby Victor was diagnosed just last month with diabetes. We pretty much adopted him - or rather, he adopted us - at four years old after his elderly owner passed away, and he means everything to us. We've been having a rough time with things so far and are so overwhelmed and stressed out. I'm the kind of person whose mind instantly jumps to the worst possibilities/scenarios, especially with medically-related issues, so I've been almost constantly worried sick. My mom has been equally worried about him and stressed out about the financial expenses, as we are on a fixed income. We just want with all our hearts for things to get better for our fur-baby. I will follow up with more specifics on our experience so far in the Health Forum, if that is the proper place to do so?

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome. Heather, Mom and Victor. It does seem overwhelming at first, but it does also get better. There is information here to answer questions and concerns and support to help you understand how to help your kitty and the changes in your lives. Everyone here began at this starting point, myself included. Yes, please post in the Main Forum, more eyes to see and get your responses more quickly. When you and Mom have time, take a look at the information here in the FAQs forum. I remember thinking it was a lot to learn, but take this in bits and you will be surprised how quickly you will learn and handle this new routine. Here is a link to the FAQs forum:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/health-links-faqs-about-feline-diabetes.14/

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! It will get better.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to FDMB:)@H.M. Victor
    Feline diabetes is a very treatable disease. It is very overwhelming at first but it soon becomes routine.
    I see you are feeding Hills prescription food. It is not necessary to feed prescription food. It is not only expensive, it is no better than regular canned cat food and is higher in calories. You need to feed wet/canned low carb food...10% carbs or lower. No dry food because it is much too high in carbs. Here is a link to suitable food...look for 10% or lower carbs
    https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf
    Victor is a beautiful boy!

5. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

Thank you. Yeah, am planning to switch him over to wet food as soon as we can can get a home meter. I'm so sorry to see your precious girl passed away cat_wings>o

Bron and Sheba (GA) and JanetNJ like this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. I can definitely relate to the crying and stress. I pretty much cried for 12 hours straight when cc was diagnosed.

I want to say that it gets easier. It's not a death sentence. They can live long healthy lives!!! We can teach you money saving tips, testing tips, feeding tips. IT WILL BE OK. you are not alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.