Introduction- Rockford Food & Weight Stabilization Ideas

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Linda H., Dec 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda H.

Linda H. New Member

Rockford is 13yrs. 8 mo. old, Neutered male European Burmese. Since he was 3 mo. old he has been a part of our family. He has a hx. of pica (fabric) eater, and licks bald spots of fur on lower belly, rear hip. He has hx. of dental anesthesia reactions w/the last one in 2017 resulting in limb paresis & head tilt and acute kidney injury & anemia followed. (2013 dental anesthesia via gas tube supposedly got plugged & Rockford turned blue and we almost lost him. Fortunately he recovered after various medications/treatments/ultra sounds, x-rays etc. Use of Budesonide w/various dosages up and down for 3 yrs. to address his (chronic) ALT, BUN levels after the 2017 anesthesia reaction was attributed to the June 2019 Glucose blood level increases and subsequent diabetes mellitus diagnosed w/insulin management by internist for past months. He did not go into remission even with the food and medication interventions. Libreview Free Style glucose sensors (4) applied to get accurate glucose readings over 3 month period, plus ear sticks and Fructosamine blood levels periodically.
    Recently he no longer jumps onto surfaces above 2 ft. back legs appear weaker but vet. internist said he did not have signs of diabetic nephropathy when examined in Nov. 2019.

Food changes (multiple varieties) to reduce carbohydrates, ProZinc insulin twice a day, blood glucose home testing weekly, fluids, Cerenia, Prilosec, Cyproheptadine (CPH) appetite stimulate, Ursodial (liver support), Adequan injection (arthritis) sub-q fluids admission routinely and PRN currently and historically since 2017.

Challenges: Food that he will and should eat continues to be a problem and changing him primarily from dry to wet foods low in carbs. The maintenance of acceptable weight level is a daily chore. (I do not leave food down because we have another fur baby that has different/other issues and Rockford would eat his food. ) I weigh him weekly on a baby scale. We track the kcal and the volume of food he consumes. I report via email to the vet. internist the blood glucose levels, and the Frustosamine levels are drawn every two months or so. I do most of his care at home now to avoid the stresses, fluid therapy, injections, ear sticks, pilling etc.
    We hope to help Rockford by continually learning the best ways and affordable services and products to help him have a quality of life.
    Linda Hawkins

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Rockford has a lot going on. Tagging
    @MrWorfMen's Mom
    who is most familiar with the Prozinc protocol.

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to FDMB. Rockford does indeed have a lot of things to contend with.

The fact that you are now seeing signs of diabetic neuropathy suggests BG is definitely not under control.

Are you still using the Libre or now manually testing? Without any data to look at there is no way to provide any useful suggestions however, if you can provide some of the readings you've been getting we'll be happy to have a peak and see what we can suggest.

In the meantime, it would be very helpful if you could set up a signature (the light grey text at the bottom of our messages) with some basic information so we don't drive you crazy asking the same questions over and over. Your signature should include your cat's name, age, date of diagnosis, type of insulin, type of glucometer, and any other health issues. It's also helpful if you include your general location or time zone and your name or what you'd like us to call you.

To set up a signature, hover your mouse over your user name in the upper right corner of the screen. A menu will drop down. Click on Signature in the left column. This opens a text box where you can type the information you want to share. When done, scroll down and click on the button "Save Changes".

We have a very good spreadsheet here for tracking BG readings that allows us to quickly see patterns. If you could set one up and plot in some readings for the last week or two it would be great. The instructions for setting up the spreadsheet are HERE and THIS DOC explains how to use it. If you need help with the Spreadsheet, just holler.

4. Linda H.

Linda H. New Member

5. Linda H.

Linda H. New Member

I tried last evening to access and entire info. in signature area but comment back said it was too long then it said did not meet other requirements. I gave up 2 hrs later..It now looks like the signature information from last night was added 39 min. ago...I guess I just do not know what I am doing yet...
    Sorry for the length but I wanted to give a fuller picture of my Rockford's situation.

Internist Vet. checked/examined Rockford Nov. 14, 2019 and said Rockford did not have signs of diabetic nephropathy so I just do not know. His BG seems to be under control. I home test with Alph TRAK 2 weekly at his nadir point since Oct. 25, 2019 and his Fructosamine levels are tested by internist every one to two months as well.
    Rockford had Libreview Free Style scanners, 4 separate ones., and . We had a problem with scanners adhering to Rockford because his hair grew and/or he was able to reach lifting the probe. However the data captured produced reports that provided information on his glucose levels 24 hrs. Scanners were on Rockford for about 3 month period for 14 to 5 days each.
    Yes Rockford has health challenges given his past dental anesthesia problems. He was on Budesonide for 3 yrs which in June 2019 has contributed t Glucose blood level increases and subsequent diabetes mellitus. Budesonide was used to address his (chronic) ALT, BUN level anesthesia reaction.
    Gen. vet. tried to manage then turned over case to internist since 7.17.19 to present.

Drugs: Currently: ProZinc, 2 1/2 U am & pm, Ursodial 55mg cap daily (liver support), Cerenia 1/4 of 16mg tab pm, Prilosec (Maropitant) 1/4 tab. of 16mg daily, Cyproheptadine (CPH) 1/8th-1/4 of 4mg tab. appetite simulate (various frequencies, now two days and won one off depending how he eats and his weight) & Adequan injection monthly (arthritis ?). Note: Many other drugs depending on the situation over the years, antibiotics, probiotics, etc.

Fluids-LRS SQ 50-100 mls given at home and vet. offices.

Food/Eating: low carbs. Dry Hills m/d; Wellness Signature, tuna/salmon & shrimp varieties; Tiny Tasters Varieties. also Gerber Baby Food for back up and not eating. No remission even with the food and medication interventions.

Blood Glucose levels sampling every Wednesday about 2pm I will try and plot out on the spreadsheet too.
    11.1.19 – 241; 11.6.19 - 136, 11.13.19 - 79, 11.14.19 – 102; 11.27.19 - 143, 12.4.19 – 163; 12.8.19 – 150; 12.26.19 - 107
    Linda H

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.