Is Anyone Homecooking Food for Kitty?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by skybar22, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skybar22

skybar22 Well-Known Member

I have decided, after trying way too many rejected foods, to try home cooking for Morgaine. I could use some help and resources. I know about adding supplements but what else should I be aware of and do I need to know. Any help would be appreciated.

2. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

I only use Dr. lisa raw diet that I make for my guys. others have bought the feline pride raw and natures variety. what else others do?? dunno

3. Carol & Yoshi

Carol & Yoshi Well-Known Member

4. skybar22

I can't do raw food as I am disabled and I don't want to trust mail order with that since I live on the hot, hot desert. Everything melts in this climate no matter how well they pack it. I also can not go out and get the quality of fresh foods I would think one needs with raw. In addition, I live in an apartment and have not got a lot of space in my freezer. But I do have a small food processor and can cook chicken and get some ground turkey and prepare it with supplements used in raw foods for a balanced diet. It has to be as good or better than canned foods which except for fish she will not eat except for the no longer available FF old label.

Meanwhile, I had to resort to some dry Evo grain Free low carb food and Pro Plan fish until I can get all the ingredients to prepare food for her. At least she is eating which is better than we were doing a couple of days ago. I know dry is not the best but things got pretty scarey and serious here. The Evo has only 8% carbs so it will do for the short term. Whew! Cats are truly interesting creatures who have minds of their own and have a way of wrapping their humans around their little paws.

Carol, thanks for the suggestion on Dr. Goldstein's book. I ordered it and looked at his page for feeding. Cooking food for your cat is high on his list so I feel good about that.

5. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

6. Deb and Pippin

Deb and Pippin Member

7. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Many people here just buy raw meats from the supermarket. You don't need a very high quality of meat unless you feel that is better for whatever reason. For exotic meats like rabbit and venision, you may need to buy from a butcher shop or from an online raw pet food supply site like Hare-Today.com

But since anythingy that involves uncooked meat seems to be out of the question, how abouth something similar? The Honest Kitchen makes a dehydrated raw cat food: http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/prowl/ It's basically a powdered raw food mix with vitamins/minerals that you add warm water to and mix until combined. A serving (about 1/2 ounce) has 9.51% carbs: http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/res/pdf ... lyerv3.pdf You can buy directly from the company or from various online pet stores (PetFoodDirect.com, OnlyNaturalPet.com, etc) as well as specialty pet stores/boutiques (not the big chains like Petco).

8. RuBee

RuBee Member

Has anybody used this product? It would be great for me - it's kind of like Apple Pie Spice, lol - everything you need already tossed together. I've wanted to do raw food for a long time, and this company offers a trial size, so I wouldn't have to commit to it in the case that Rufus doesn't tolerate the raw well. I'd just really like to hear a positive review of it before I let my cat eat it.

If anybody uses it, I'd love to hear what they have to say about it. :razz:

9. RuthV

RuthV Member

I dry chicken slices in my dehydrator, then cut into small bits and my cat loves em.

10. Deb and Pippin

Deb and Pippin Member

I havent but I might try it, it is only 1.2% carbs in the as fed analysis and it might be just the thing for my finicky ferrets, especially for pippin the diabetic but I also have one with IBD now and have to find something grain free that I can make with something other than poultry!

11. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I use the Feline Futures supplement http://www.feline-future.com/index.php?map=USA which is very similar, $12 for enough for 20 days and very prompt shipping. I think Better in the Raw is an adaptation of Feline Futures, or vice versa. Tess loves it. The Wild Kitty supplement was not liked. There is also one called Platinum Performance which Dr. Hodgkins recommends.

Try giving a few chunks of plain raw meat before investing in the supplement. Tess left her regular food and went straight to the raw. For an occasional snack the supplement isn't necessary.

We get a package of boneless skinless chicken thighs and some chicken liver, freeze slightly (it cuts more easily) and just do a rough chop. It doesn't need to be fine ground, it is actually good for their teeth to chew on chunks, about dime size. I freeze it in about 1/4 lb. units, that's about a days worth. Flatten it out in baggies, it thaws quicker.

This is reminding me I need to order more. I know of several other members that use Feline Futures and like it.

12. skybar22

Thanks for all this info and the fact that some are using this makes me feel better about wanting to try it. I can get the chicken easily enough and Turkey comes ground so that might be an option too. I will try the tip on giving her a little raw chicken and see how she likes it. I also love the idea of baggies and flattening into patties. That can be stacked easily in my small freezer. How much do you feed at a time and how often? Right now, because I am always home, I feed Morgaine 4 times a day, small amounts. She likes eating that way as she gets an appetite quite often and always has. She used to be a grazer until she gained too much weight but this is how I control that desire.

Is there anything else she needs besides what is in this mixture? It there enough fat? I have been giving her a half packet of Forti Flora daily and she loves it. I figure it is good for her with all these food changes.

13. Ann & Tess GA

It's best not to use pre-ground meat, more surface area means more chance of contamination and bacterial growth.

I think the recommendations are for about 1/2 cup per day, but it depends on how much you cat weighs. I weigh Tess's food, I have a small scale and it's easy for me. She is a little under 9 lbs. and she she eats a little over 5oz a day.

Here are a couple of resources I found helpful http://www.ehow.com/facts_5529889_daily-caloric-intake-cats.html
    http://www.catinfo.org/?link=felineobesity
    Dr. Lisa'a page on Obesity has a lot of good nutrition info for all cats. Check out her page on making catfood too.

The Feline Future has a lot of good info too, but I find their organization of the site frustrating. They have hidden the site map in "Terms" for some reason, that is a good place to start. There is info on making cooked food too if you are unsure about raw.

14. skybar22

I have been reading the Instincts site and find it very informative. I am not going to get pre grounded meat. I am going to use the chicken thighs and I will grind the meat in my food processor. I am not sure about the raw. I was so not interested but after reading about it and how easy it is with the mix, I am rethinking it all. At least I know I can cook the meat and use the mix to start. Can't imagine any canned food being any better than that.

My biggest problem is getting the ingredients more than a couple of times per month so I am going to have to freeze the thighs and defrost as I make the food which is fine for the cooked food. I just don't have access to the store more often as I no longer drive. If I decide to go raw I will have to make the food in larger batches and freeze them into patties. Since i have the time it is also possible to defrost a thigh or two and make the raw from that once a day. It really doesn't sound too time consuming or difficult. My options are opening up.

Thanks for all the help. You have no idea how stressful this has been for me and now I just hope Morgaine will like my cooking, LOL. I am feeding her this dry kibble from Evo and the canned fish cat food and Whiskas and I know it is not what is best for her but it is low carb and high protein.

15. Ann & Tess GA

I do the thaw a couple of thighs at a tim method. The first time I just put the whole package in the freezer. Mistake, one Big solid block of chicken. :lol: the Glad Press 'n Seal Wrap works really well to individually repack them.

16. RuBee

RuBee Member

I'm so hopeful that Morgaine will begin eating again. I know you've said she doesn't have any symptoms of illness. Maybe this is exactly what she needs and was just refusing to eat to get that point across. Hey, she's a cat, it's totally possible. Do you know how many oz. of raw/cooked she'll need? I don't know if you said she's lost weight...

I was thinking of doubling (or close to it) the recommended serving for Rufus and then making adjustments on food after he's regained some mass in his back. (Anyone who wants to correct me, please do!) Rufus is a large breed mix (but, other than being not-as-fluffy resembles the Norwegian Forest Cat entirely) and has been steadily losing weight AFTER he reached a healthy point at 19.2lbs. He now has very prominent shoulder blades and his spine is becoming more defined, too. :sad: I want my big muscle cat back.

Really excited about this. I'm so glad you brought this up (although I'm very sorry you've had to go so far out of your way to keep her healthy. I know what it's like being on the "Disabled with no driver's license" list. I don't live alone, but it's just me and the animals during the day) - I'd given up on the thought of a homemade raw diet because of all the preparation. I had no idea about the Apple Pie Spice of cat foods. ;-)

Good luck to you and Morgaine. I'll be crossing my fingers for you.

17. skybar22

RuBee, thanks for your lovely post. Maybe we can compare notes and offer some support since we are both going to try this.

Morgaine is not losing weight.
    she could stand to lose about 1 pound or so and had lost 5 over the few years I had her on Hill's R/D which I firmly believe gave her diabetes. Who knew? Such crap, really. The carb load was ridiculous for a prescription diet food. So, although Morgaine is a larger than average cat, like a Maine Coon, she is doing okay on the weight end. I am thinking she may need a little more than 1/2 cup a day but i will experiment with it. Apparently cooked has more calories than raw so that is also a factor.

If you want to connect by e-mail and compare notes, then PM me. That goes for anyone here.

18. RuBee

RuBee Member

I'd love to have someone to learn this with! Since we both have larger cats it might be even more helpful - those guidelines for "average" (8-10lbs., lol) cats probably won't make the grade. I'll PM you with my email address right now. (Before I forget! :lol:) Maybe it would be helpful to start a thread (or keep this one active) as we go along. Who knows, it might entice others who have free time on the weekends, or what have you, to hop on the bandwagon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.