Is it ok to do the glucose test on me first?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kylee and Her Mom Renee', Sep 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

Kylee and Her Mom Renee' Member

I have not tested my newly diagnosed kitty yet. It is ok to test a little blood from my finger first before I start poking her. I feel I won't get it right on her and don't want to hurt or cause damage to her ears. I have watched the video's but I am honestly nervous. I tend to rush and not get things right sometimes.
    She goes back to the vet next week.

Thx

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Sure!! We often tell people if they're not sure their meter is working right, to test themselves!!

But one thing you have to remember.....humans have a lot of nerve endings in our fingertips because we use them so much to feel.....but the edges of a cat's ears has few pain receptors because cats have been getting into fights since the beginning of time, and through evolution, the edges of the ears have become less sensitive.

If you've ever had a tomcat, you know they often come home with chewed and ripped up ears from fighting.

3. Zipdrive

Zipdrive Member

LOL. Sorry, I'm not laughing at you Renee', it's what you wrote that brings back memories of my first testing with Simone. I too watched videos, read various posts on this forum and wondered if I should test myself first to get a "feel" for how to do it. All I remember was Damn that hurt. Thankfully a cats ear is not as sensitive as out finger tips as Chris mentioned.

The one thing I found was NOT to use the lancing device, but rather just use the lancet itself to prick Simone's ear. You may want to buy a box of slightly larger sized lancets until the process becomes routine. I used 28 gauge lancets.

Here was my routine. It my seem like a lot of steps but with doing the testing with no help it's what worked for me:

1. Get all supplies out and ready on the bathroom counter.
    2. Put warm/slightly hot water in a pill bottle tighten the cap and dry off any drips.
    3. Take one cotton makeup pad remover out of the package (dollar store makeup pad removers).
    4. Remove the little tab on the lancet.
    5. Go and get Simone and put her on the counter so her side (left or right) was against my tummy.
    6. Pet and talk to her.
    7. Take the warm pill bottle and hold it against her inner ear and gently massage her outer ear (helps with blood flow).
    8. Take a test strip out and place it in the meter (just before pricking her ear) then close the test strip container.
    9. Fold the small makeup pad in half and hold it against her outer ear then prick her inner ear with the lancet.
    10. Put the lancet down and massage the ear a little bit so a decent amount of blood was visible (still holding the makeup pad on her outer ear).
    11. Put the meter up to the blood to get the sample.
    12. Put the meter down on the counter and while it's doing it's thing unfold the makeup pad then fold it over the ear to dry up the blood, hold it there for a moment or two.
    13. Pet and love Simone up and tell her what a good girl she was (very important).
    14. Record the meter reading and put all supplies away.

The reason I would get the sample from Simone's inner ear was because she had dark fur on her ears and I found it hard to see the blood at times (bad eyesight). Also I would use the ear that was away from my tummy. If her left side was against my tummy I would take the sample from her right ear and vice versa.

Steps 8 to 11 took only seconds as you want to limit the time the test strips are out of their sealed container. If you have help the helper can be prepping the meter with the test strip as your pricking Kylee's ear.

It will take you a few tries so don't get discouraged, we've all been there. My first 1/2 dozen times were disasters and required multiple attempts, LOL. I found that warming Simone's ear was the best tip of all.

Caloucon and Laura bb like this.
  4. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

Kylee and Her Mom Renee' Member

I bought my supplies finally today. I was at Walmart just as they were closing for lunch. So I could stand and look at my notes, read all the ReliOn boxes and get just what I needed. Reading my manual meter was like going back to school. Ha ha. Tried it on myself. And yes, it does hurt!!! Still hurts!! Wah wah!!!! I am still so nervous, because she does not, I repeat does not like her ears touched. Wish me luck. And thanks for the steps. I may have to do it when she is sleeping or wrap her like a burrito....I think I will go and search the info on using her paw. Thank you again.

5. Zipdrive

Zipdrive Member

Good luck Renee'. Wrapping Kylee up like a burrito isn't a bad idea if she puts up a fuss. Also giving diabetic approved treats after the test may help her get use to being tested.

With Simone it was just the opposite to Kylee. Touching her ears was no problem, but touching her paws was near impossible, especially her front paws. The little thing even took her insulin injections like a pro, with only the odd meow. To help eliminate any fur shots my vet shaved 2 little spots around her shoulder areas so I could see the skin. That helped quite a bit when injecting her.

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Here's something I wrote up for others for testing...maybe it'll help you too! (substitute "her" for "him"....LOL)

It can be really helpful to establish a routine with testing. Pick one spot that you want your "testing spot" to be (I like the kitchen counter because it's got good light and it's at a good height....it also already blocked 2 escape routes due to the wall and the backsplash) It can be anywhere though...a rug on the floor, a table, a particular spot on the couch...wherever is good for you.

Take him there as many times a day as you can and just give his ears a quick rub and then he gets a yummy (low carb) treat.Most cats aren't objecting so much with the poking..it's the fooling with their ears they don't like, but once they're desensitized to it and learn to associate a certain place with the treats, they usually start to come when they're called! Or even when they hear us opening the test kit!

You also have to remember...you're not poking him to hurt him...you're testing him to keep him safe and understand what's going on inside his body. There's just nothing better than truly understanding what's going on inside your kitty's body and with this disease, the more knowledge you have, the more power you have against it. The edges of the ears have very few pain receptors, so it really doesn't hurt them. Also, if you're nervous and tense, it's going to make your kitty nervous and tense too. As silly as it might seem, try singing! It forces you to use a different part of your brain!

It's also important to make sure his ear is warm. A small sock filled with a little rice and microwaved or a small pill bottle filled with warm water (check temp against your wrist like you would a baby bottle) works well

For new kitties, using a heavier gauge lancet is also really helpful. A 25-28 gauge lancet pokes a bigger "hole" than a 31-33 gauge lancet does, so look for "Alternate Site testing" lancets that are usually a lower number

Finding the right "treat" will be a great help too! Freeze dried chicken, bonito flakes, little pieces of baked chicken...whatever low carb treat you can find that he really enjoys will help him to associate the testing with the treat! China's Achilles heel was baked chicken, so I'd bake a piece, chop it into bite sized pieces, put some in the refrigerator and freeze the rest to use as needed. It didn't take long for her to come any time I picked up the meter!

There are more testing tips here:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Laura bb likes this.
  7. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

Not relevant for cats, but when testing people, use the side of the finger tip rather than the middle- it hurts much less!

Caloucon and HereKittyKittyKitty like this.
  8. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

I tested myself as soon as I got home with the glucometer. Then I ate the pint of ice cream that had somehow landed in my basket while I was at Wal-Mart and tested myself again. I learned that I'm not diabetic.

Then I tested my civvie, because he was a lot more mellow than Cleo. I thought he'd be more cooperative. He wasn't really, but he enjoyed the attention and the treats he got afterwards. It was all good practice anyway.

Veronica & Babu-chiri likes this.
  9. Rardito

Rardito Member

The only reason I tested myself once was because it was early in the morning/I was still half asleep and instead of pricking Mitsy's ear I accidentally pricked myself instead haha

Luckily that's only happened once so far!

10. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

I just pick up skittles , lay him on the couch, get my meter out, test strip and lancet out, put skittles on his side ( I try and rotate ears, poke his ear , keep holding it , put the meter in the crack in the couch, push in the strip , get a sample, pinch his ear and done.
    When I first started I used a rice sock to warm the ear. Now if his ear feels cold, I just hold the area to test in my finger to warn it up.
    Also when we first started , after testing he would jump up and go to the kitchen and lay on his side and wait for me. I give his shot in his stomach/side area ( occasionally in his neck scruff ) But I really think Skittles knows that the ear testing and injection makes him feel better & realized early on what was going on. It got to the point where at 9 o’clock he would get up and go walk into the kitchen and lay down as if he knew what time it was . In other words.... I’m very lucky he is so easy to check and I know I am. BUT w my luck if I ever have another diabetic they will be the complete opposite and I will have a hell of a time testing and shooting ( skittles is my 2nd diabetic cat )

11. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

I started out testing on myself, and honestly, my cats thought it was entertainment - no joke, they watched, it sucked, LOL. Let me put it to you this way, I was grumpier doing it to myself than Fena EVER was when I did it to her. You'll be just fine - the hardest part is knowing if your cat needs burrito-ing (wrapped tight in a towel) or not... that's.....not fun. Fena's okay for shots and testing but squirting ANYTHING in her mouth, I need to burrito. 50% it's ok without but I don't KNOW that until I'm half into the process and it goes FUBAR (pardon my french here but: ****ed Up Beyond All Recognition) - and by then she's wigged out, I am too, and I've wasted meds... *sighs*

12. Caloucon

Caloucon New Member

This is just what we needed! Thank you so much for detailing the steps to test on a cat’s ear.

13. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

14. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Janet's video is my favorite, well.. in my top 3, today it's #1 again since Fena's being finicky! :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.