Is it possible to use a dental rinse like CET AquaDent?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sieden, Apr 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sieden

Sieden Member

I was reading the ingredients and it says it has Xylitol in it and on my chart for the glycemic index of sweeteners Xylitol is listed as a sugar alcohol and having a glycemic index of 12. Does anyone know if that would be safe to use?
    Just asking because now that I've spent almost 700.00 getting Peanut's teeth cleaned I want to do whatever I can to prevent them from getting nasty again. I got him a toothbrush and toothpaste but we all know perfectly well that even Peanut isn't going to just sit there and let me brush his teeth lol.
    Here's my chart...
    http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide.com/glycemic-index-for-sweeteners.html

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Xylitol is deadly toxic to cats!

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Xylitol isn't safe for cats!!! http://pets.thenest.com/xylitol-harmful-cats-4576.html

What will work best to keep his teeth clean is to mimic what wild cats do...chew on real meat. A lot of people give their cats chicken gizzards, half chicken wings (raw, with bone), turkey necks or even just cube size pieces of raw meat....the "scraping" against the fibrous meat and bone is what keeps the teeth clean

4. Sieden

Sieden Member

Wow, I didn't know that it was dangerous for cats. I can't believe that a company actually puts a toxic chemical into something made for cats, that's nuts. I'm going to email them about this and see what they say about it. I want to know why they are doing it, surely they must know. I do feed him raw food (Primal brand) mixed with canned but I haven't ventured over to giving him a wing with the bone or a neck, I have given him tiny pieces of raw chicken before and he ate it so at least I know that he will eat raw chicken. Now it's time to see if he'll get "primal" and rip the meat off of a larger source. I'll go get some organic chicken tomorrow and try it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

By the way would this be safe for my other kitty who hasn't had his teeth cleaned yet?

And thanks for the article

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  5. Chris & China (GA)

yes, it's safe for him to gnaw too....the teeth don't have to be cleaned first

6. Squalliesmom

7. Chris & China (GA)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. Sieden

Sieden Member

Yeah I just read that, Chris posted it. Some useful information for sure. I went back and checked the toothpaste to make sure that it doesn't have any Xylitol in there and was shocked to find that it has Dextrose which is a sugar and has a glycemic index of 100. It also has Sorbitol but that's safe. From what I've read cats cannot even taste sweet so what is the point in adding any sugar at all, I don't get it. I do understand that there are enzymes in this toothpaste so I'm still going to use a very tiny amount but I have to admit, I'm a little livid over this finding and I'm going to openly voice this opinion to the company when I call them on Monday.

Yong & Maury GA and Squalliesmom like this.
  9. Squalliesmom

Lol. I was very tired last night, obviously I was blind, as well, lol!

Sieden and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  10. Sieden

Sieden Member

That's okay lol.

So I went out today and got a package of wings and a package of hearts and gizzards. I cut all of the wings in half, rinsed everything off, bagged it all up and then offered it to the kids. Peanut chowed down, he instantly went for the hearts and gizzards, ate all but 2 pieces of those and took a break then about 10 minutes later he came into the kitchen and started crunching on the wing and almost ate all of it. I thought it would take some time before he would eat it but nope. Ginger on the other hand would only eat 1 piece of a gizzard and that's it. I guess I'll have to have some patience with him. Overall I'm very happy with the outcome and thank you very much for the suggestion about feeding this to the cats.

11. Chris & China (GA)

That's great that they're such a hit!!......but don't overdue it either.....we don't want them filling up on "junk food" and not eating their real food

Just a little bit per day should help keep those teeth in better shape.

Here's some more information on it too https://thecatsite.com/threads/raw-wings-for-dental-health.227584/

http://feline-nutrition.org/health/chunks-and-bones-for-your-cat-s-teeth

Squalliesmom and Sieden like this.
  12. Sieden

Sieden Member

Thanks for the links Chris. I already feed half raw food (Primal) mixed with canned (Friskies). I think I'm going to keep their meals the same and then give them each a little raw snack every day if I can. I prepackaged everything out. It seems like every day they are expecting some kind of a treat like a freeze dried something or other, some kind of crunchy crap or bonito flakes. It would be good if I could give them a few bites of something pure instead of crap. I'll read those links here in just a second.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  13. Sieden

Sieden Member

oh yeah here's a photo from earlier when Peanut was eating, I couldn't resist

Attached Files:

14. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Xylitol, asbestos, pressure treated wood with arsenic, artificial sweeteners toxic to cats, Advil will kill your dog, what's in toilet bowl cleaners? What the... Someone has to die first before they tell us. I spent an hour convincing someone why my drooling radiator was filled with water, not antifreeze. On a more positive note we had Slurp-N-Fresh for our dog, minty mouthwash safe for pets but every time we cleaned our many water bowls was like flushing money down the toilet.

15. Sieden

Sieden Member

damn I bet, I know I certainly hate flushing money down the toilet, I don't like wiping with it either lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.