? Is it time to change Insulin again?????

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kenai_21, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenai_21

Kenai_21 Member

:banghead: I am wondering if it is time to change Rupert's Insulin again? He has been on Prozinc now for 5 months & 7 days. I changed his insulin on 12-15-17. His sugars have been high again. 3-400's. I have stopped taking his sugars 4 times a day to 2 times a day because it feels like I am fighting a never ending battle with him. I did try him on Tiki cat wet food that mad his sugars sky rocket, took him off, I tried Friskies pate sugars still high. Back to Fancy feast sugars still high. It's been a month now that he has been back on FF pate. I need to add more of his sugars to the SS to make it current. Would a trip to the vet to get his blood work done again since it's been a Year and 2 months since his diagnosis and last blood work up? I don't test him for keytones never had never was told I hade to do it.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Rather than changing insulin I suggest you increase his dose by 0.25 increments after about 4 cycles if you don’t see more yellow and blue numbers. You don’t have to do a lot of testing, just AM and PM pre shot and one other middle cycle or before bed. Extra tests on a day off will fill in the gaps. It’s very common for insulin dose to drift up and down over time.

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with Kris. If you leave the dose the same for such long periods of time, it loses it's effectiveness. It looks like Rupert needs an increase, and as Kris said, at least one mid-cycle each day - and mixing up if you get it during the AM or PM cycle can be helpful. The mid-cycle tests are the ones that tell if the insulin dose is bringing them low enough or not. The pre-shot tests tell you if it's safe to inject, but don't give any information about the effectiveness of the dose.

FurBabiesMama and Kris & Teasel like this.
  4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Agree with above. You are holding the dose to long and Rupert is getting use to the high numbers causing them to even go higher. Yes, start checking ketones daily with the numbers you are getting.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Go to any human pharmacy and buy some urine ketone test strips. They're cheap.

How to test for urine ketones at home:
    • put the end of the test strip right in his urine stream as he's peeing
    • slip a shallow, long handled spoon under his backside to catch a little pee - you don't need much
    • put a double layer of plastic wrap over his favourite part of the litter box and poke some depressions in it too catch pee.
    Most test strips have to be dipped and allowed to develop for 15 seconds before viewing the colour change in very good light.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.