? Is the meter now useless; iridescent color under screen (photos)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by apple, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apple

apple Member

I'm concerned the meter is no longer reliable for valid results.

Went to test this am and there was a change to the meter screen. There is what looks like an oil slick where the numbers show. As I move the meter, the iridescent area will move.

Have you seen motor oil on water with the sun reflecting off of it? That is what it looks like.

Of course the company is closed until Monday.

Are the results trustworthy?

Anyone experience this?

Over the weekend is not a good time for the meter to konk out..... 20170513_071554.jpg

2. apple

apple Member

Second photo 20170513_071534.jpg

3. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Why don't you just pick up a second one from the pharmacy? You'll feel better about the numbers.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  4. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I would guess that as long as he numbers are readable, they are probably accurate. Damage to the screen would not necessarily imply damage to any other part of the meter. However, I second Ginny's suggestion; picking up an inexpensive human meter to at least get you through the weekend will probably give you peace of mind! :)

5. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

I use the AT2 also and mine does that. I have also been comparing with the Relion Confirm and my AT2 is just fine. I second the suggestions above to go get an inexpensive human meter now to compare so you will feel better. Edited to add: I also have another AT2 meter that is newer than the other one that I keep for a back up and the screen is like this too. I really think your meter is just fine, but it helps to have something else to compare it with.

Yong & Maury GA and Squalliesmom like this.
  6. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

My AT2 meter has been like this for awhile and still works fine. I have compared results with my Free Style Lite meter ( which I have done a lot of comparisons with in the past) and with the blood analyzer the vet uses when I have blood work done. It is always handy to have a back up meter on hand though as others have suggested.

7. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I would contact the manufacturer and ask them. I would also request a replacement. As expensive as the are it is worth a try.

Get a Relion. :D Save yourself $$! I put my Alphatrak up shortly after I started posting here. I haven't looked back. I just keep it as a back up JIC.

8. Squalliesmom

I dug out my AlphaTrak to look at the screen, and it has that same iridescence. I think it's okay, mine seems to be working fine and the results are what I would expect. :)

9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Have you changed the battery?

10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My at2 looks like that and is fine.

11. apple

apple Member

Did you just test your kitty?

12. apple

apple Member

No

13. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

It's a thought.

14. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

I have two Alfa Trak 2 meters and both of mine have a slight rainbow iridescence look. Both work fine I wouldn't worry as long as it keeps giving you the numbers.
    Might want to call the manufacture on Monday.

15. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

My AT2 screen is like this too.

16. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

When I had difficulty believing my AlphaTrak numbers, I replaced the battery and it made all the difference for us. Think of it as rebooting the computer which often magically fixes problems in my experience.

17. Squalliesmom

Yes.

18. Squeakycats

Squeakycats Member

My AT2 looks like this as well; I think it's working fine. (And it's quite new--shouldn't be needing a new battery yet.)

19. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

No need to get batteries from the manufacturer. Any big grocery store or Walmart will sell Duracells. There's a number clearly visible on the battery, might have to go to the pharmacy to the hearing aid section, I got mine where the AA and AAA's are sold.

20. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Also contact the manufacturer about it. If it was human meter, the manufacturer would normally replace it at no cost (just don't tell them it is for your cat though). It is always worth a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.