Is this diabetic related?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sheryl and Peaches, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheryl and Peaches

Sheryl and Peaches Member

I am guessing it is since Peaches' numbers have been horrible lately. I have noticed his fur is matted on his back legs...is this because he isn't feeling well enough to clean himself fully? Does this happen to un-stabilized diabetics? His numbers have been wacky a lot lately and he is due for new insulin the end of the month. Not sure what is going on with my old man, but this matted fur is new...

2. Kris & Motska (GA)

Kris & Motska (GA) Member

I can't tell you if it's diabetes-related -- it's never happened to Motska. But if it gets to the point that he's not grooming himself at all and not eating, please take him to the vet right away. When I was a kid, we came back from vacation to find that our Tiger had not been grooming himself and he was a little skinnier and we couldn't figure out why. (We'd been having a neighbor come over to feed him and let him in & out of the house a few times every day.)

A couple of days later, we realized that his tip of his tongue was cut and barely attached at one side! (Sorry to gross everyone out!) He had apparently gotten in a fight with a local feral cat and gotten his tongue cut. One trip to the vet and two stitches to "tack it" together, along with some liquid food fed by syringe and he turned out just fine.

I doubt that this is the problem with Peaches, since it's just his hind legs that he's not grooming, but if it gets worse, make sure to take a look (or have the vet take a good look) at his mouth to make sure that everything is ok there.

In the meantime, (((hugs))) and prayers for you and Peaches!

Kris

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

by any chance is he slightly chubby?
    My civie was getting those last year, so we had to take her in for a lion cut a few times, and she was slightly chubby, she has since winter slimmed down a tad and is able to clean herself better now.

hope its nothing serious thou.

4. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Definitely YES. It may extend to more than just his hind legs too. (getting worse before it gets better)

The funky fur happens to unregulated or poorly regulated diabetics -- in Acrocat land (high dose), we call it HEDGE-HOG fur.

Gently brush /comb to help him groom -- if it is easier, a shave is ok too.

Norton was very ticklish about it, so we would work on an area for a few minutes until he was fidgety and take a break.

Check if your kitty is having a dental problem or infection causing his Blood sugar to be high -- getting him better regulated will help the fur and general well-being.

5. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

meowi has matted fur on her hind legs too. with her, it's bad arthritis; she just can't reach back there anymore.

doesn't peaches have early kidney disease? has he had bloodwork done recently?

6. Sheryl and Peaches

Sheryl and Peaches Member

Sorry it has taken so long for a reply...

Peaches is not fat...he is thin, but not overly thin.

He cannot get a dental, because the last time he got one he died on the table and they think he has a bad reaction to being knocked out...

He does have kidney disease and I don't remember the last time he got his numbers checked...I will schedule a vet visit for next week and get him fully checked out.

Thanks everyone for your posts.

7. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Sheryl, sometimes it's just an age thing. They get older, go into retirement, and don't seem to care how scruffy they look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.