Is your cat in diabetic remission? Pls tell me foods u give

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JackieVendetti, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackieVendetti

JackieVendetti Member

Hi Fellow Board Members!

This is Jackie again with my 13 yo tabby named Petie who was just diagnosed with diabetes. He is on Lantus and I am trying to figure out what to feed him until I can get him on a mostly home made diet. He's not eating chicken yet - that's going to take a while I think.

I am looking for some ideas of what people feed their kitties who have gone into diabetic remission?

Petie gobbled down Evo Chicken and Turkey but I went online and read that they have a bazillion recall notices so now I am unsure about that one. I am going to try the Tiki Chicken and Egg that you suggested, KPassa, although I have heard that it is high in phosphorous - is that bad? Anyways, I guess if he's not eating it all the time, it can't be that bad!! TheBowHuntress, what food do you give lucky little Gobbles?

And everyone who reads this, please let me know what foods got your kitties into diabetic remission. I want to know what my work for my little guy and I am sure you will help others, also.

Thank you so much!!
    Jackie

2. Re: Is your cat in diabetic remission? Pls tell me foods u g

Bob was on insulin for ten weeks and has been in remission for 25 months. I put him on nothing but Fancy Feast classics and Friskees pates, all 7% or less carbs at the start, and he has eaten nothing else other than occasional treat now and then ever since. His treats are usually plain unseasoned cooked meats or shrimp, all very low in carbs.

Carl

3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Re: Is your cat in diabetic remission? Pls tell me foods u g

Wink is eating Fancy Feast classic pates such as Turkey & Giblets (a fave of his), Liver & Chicken, Chicken Feast, Chopped Grill. He also gets some Friskies pates like Supreme Supper and Turkey & Giblet, but usually only a couple of ounces are the Friskies. This is because my Wink seems to be a bit carb sensitive and I don't want to take the chance of his falling out of remission due to the food he eats.

Wink does not like the fishy flavors so that is the reason I'm not feeding any of those flavors. If I could every find any of the Friskies Special diet pates, I would try those. They are low carb, 4-7% but the only one Wink would eat would be the Turkey&Giblets. ;-)

He's been in remission for 5 months now. He also lost some excess weight and that was probably a factor in his no longer needing insulin. It's always possible that Wink may get an infection, or a dental problem or some other issue and fall out of remission. It happens, but for now we feed the lower carb foods available. Many people here also feed the Wellness cat foods.

The most recent 2013 recalls for EVO have all been for the dry foods. For some reason, the dry foods tend to be more prone to possible salmonella contamination. I would feel comfortable still feeding the EVO canned foods. I've simply never tried them for picky eater Wink.

Hope this helps.

4. JackieVendetti

JackieVendetti Member

Thank you Carl, Bob, Deb & Wink!

Wow you guys are great that you got your kitty's into remission.

And you are fancy feast lovers!! I wonder why you chose that brand? Any ideas you can pass my way?

I have been going for the Abady, Nature's Valley, Evo, Wellness, BG route. You think Evo is ok? I just bought Tiki today but I am nervous because it is flaked. Oi - not sure he'll go for that but I will try in the morning.

Soon I am going to try Stella & Chewy's and Honest Kitchen, but I think I have to go slowly. Oh and of course, try the baked chicken like Dr. Pierson suggests.

5. Deb & Wink

I choose the Fancy Feast for Wink because:
    1. I already had some on hand from another foster.
    2. Also, the Fancy Feast is affordable. It fit my budget.
    3. It comes in small cans so I could try many different flavors while trying to change Wink over from a dry food diet to a wet food diet. He was a dry food addict and hated canned food. Luckily, I had two other cats that would eat his "leftovers".
    4. Readily available locally in stores.
    5. Lots of flavors without fish. Wink hates fishy flavors
    6. No grains, fruits or vegetables to add unnecessary carbs.

Wellness is good and often recommended here. The EVO is good. Other people here like the Tiki but it's expensive. I'm not familiar with some of the others you mentioned.

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I have used all kinds of low carb foods - fancy feast, friskies, nature's logic, canine caviar (no it's not dog food) - it's a high protein cat food - but my girls aren't keen on it, various raw foods including homemade, nature's variety, stella and chewy's.

they also get ff appetizers, purebites, baked, rotisserie chicken, tuna water (they don't like tuna pieces).

I did initially use EVO 95% until I found potato chunks in it, informed the company, even sent them the chunks and they told me that I was mistaken - uh no I know what potatoes are and that was it. So I stopped using it.

Maui's been in remission for for 4+ years now.

7. Steph

Steph Member

Used Friskies' pate. Through in a few crunches of CORE Wellness weight management. (It's not ideal, but he wanted some dry--and it is "high protein.')

Just bought EVO Cat and Kitten today for another diabetic kitty. High protein dry.

Also just ordered WYSONG...extremely high protein food, dry, and they have a whole range of products.

The experts here know much more than I, but this worked.

Steph

8. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

Muffin only eats one kind of wet food - she was a hard core dry food addict and very difficult to switch over. :lol: She eats Wellness Chicken. I love that it's a good quality food, but it's rather high in fat.

9. JackieVendetti

JackieVendetti Member

Wow - Wellness is high in fat? That sucks! But I guess at least she eats it!! Petie ate a little bit of Kitten Wellness Chicken today, and I looked at the label and it said Sweet Potatoe! Kill me. I think I will go out and get some FF today and see if Petie would like that and maybe some more of the EVO. He didn't like the Tiki cat - it's shredded rather than just a pate, so we will have to work up to that.

Steph - sounds like you are doing a great job! Ordering all good foods and trying a variety. It warms my heart that there are other people out there that are head over heels about their kitties like all of you are. My fiance thinks I'm nuts!! Well, I am a little...

Hilary, did your cat or kitties like the Homemade or Stella and Chewy's? I am anxious to try those, too.

10. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

I mostly feed homemade raw (diabetic and civvies) and they love it. In between they get Tiki Cat and Merrick BG. I ordered some Wild Calling! which is very wet like BG but so far they are only eating the chicken (pheasant, duck, rabbit all failed). They loved the FF pates when I was giving it to them. I think they have a lot of flavor but it makes my IBS civvie sick. I am constantly looking for other selections because my civvies are getting tired of the same flavors.

I am a little leary of the Stella and Chewy's pouch of dry food that you can add water to or not... I understood this to be high-carb. Also, I thought that fat was not an issue for felines. Dr. Pierson even suggests bacon grease to entice cats to new foods and bacon bits as treats. She says that cats need a reasonable amount of fat in their diets and recommends the thigh meat over breast meat because thigh meat has more fat. She also recommends keeping half of the fatty skin in the raw. I don't worry about fat content that much because the raw food makes them more active and they burn off more weight.

We are all nuts and proud of it!! Welcome to the club.

By the way - I may not qualify since my diabetic foster is not OTJ.

11. JackieVendetti

JackieVendetti Member

You are so good that you give raw. And Merrick and Tiki cat - how great! Petie was eating merrick BG at first, but now he's not. He ran away from Tiki cat - I think because it's shredded.

I hope to work up to giving Petie some raw occassionally. Or at least a combo of home made and canned and maybe some young again kibbles thrown in.

Poor Petie had loose stools this morning. It's probably all this wet food which his little tummy isn't used to. This poor kitty has been through sooo much in the last month and now that on top of it. The poor thing!!

Glad to know I have found the other crazies!! Thank you for the welcome!

Jackie

12. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Maui will eat the raw food. Buster won't touch it.

They both love the Stella & Chewys and they want it dry not with water added. I don't know what the exact carb content is, but reading the ingredients, it looks ok to me. I use it as a substitute for dry/kibbles food. It seems to help with Buster - who still cries and looks for dry food. If I stopped using it, I don't think Maui would care.

all I can say about Stella & Chewys is that you need to read the label, decide for yourself. If you do try it, check the Bg's to see if it negatively affects them and if it does, then you may not want to use it. If it doesn't (and it doesn't affect Maui's), then it may be ok.

13. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

Hillary

I might have seen the word pumpkin instead of pumpkin seed on the list of ingredients (bad eyesight) on the Stella and Chewys packet and just considered it starchy. Mine didn't like it anyway.

Thanks for pointing that out.

14. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Looked at the bag - it's pumpkin seed -- and if it did have pumpkin that can actually be good as a binder for loose stools, upset tummy, etc.

15. JackieVendetti

JackieVendetti Member

Oh it's good to know pumpkin is good for upset tummy. I also put some forti-flora on his last meal. He seems fine, though.

I thought pumpkin was a carb though? I am so confused!!

Ok, I bought a bag of Stella and Chewy's and am going to try that this afternoon. Or maybe I will wimp out. Who knows? What I do know is that Petie likes variety. Who knew since he has been eating the same dry food for years? OMG I wish I knew all this YEARS ago. Sigh.

16. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Pumbkin is more fiber, than anything. Some carb in it, so just monitor. You treat other problems and adjust the insulin around them.

17. Hillary & Maui (GA)

You can try giving him a couple pieces as a treat to see if he likes it. Then you can put some pieces in a bowl with water and see if he'll eat it. Either way, you will find out which way he likes it and then you can decide to continue with it or not.

18. JackieVendetti

JackieVendetti Member

Thanks, BJM. Pumpkin is mostly fiber. Good to know. I don't quite know what anything does to Petie's glucose yet, as our meter is on the way. I am pretty nervous to start testing, but hopefully we will get the hang of it.

I have been using the keto-diastix to just make sure there is still glucose in his urine, and there is. And he is drinking and peeing a lot. And his insulin dosage is so low, that I am pretty sure we'll be ok. But, we are going to start testing him as soon as the meter arrives.

Well, Stella & Chewy's is a big hit but I see Dr. Pierson does not recommend it because they weren't transparent when she reached out to them. Well, Petie isn't going to be eating it everyday, anyways, but he LOVED it - the chicken variety.

I do see that one of my other favorite places recommends it:
    http://1800whiskers.com/V2/template2.php?CHAPITRE=13

Fortunately, they are in my neighborhood, too. I found them by researching diabetes and there was an article in the NYTimes about the owners and the homemade food they sell. Their cats live to be 25+ years old, so I trust them. And,they rescue cats and the cats that come out of there are in such great shape!

Some people say it's high in carbs but how could it be? The ingredients are Chicken and chicken parts and vitamins.

Some people say it's high in fat - which might be true.

Check to Stella and Chewy's. I have some Primal in the freezer which I am going to give to Petie in the morning when he is good and hungry :)

19. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Yep, the Friskies Special Diet Turkey & Giblets is the standard in our house. I supplement about a can of the Tiki Cat a day (too expensive to use more than that) or some straight protein like a boiled chicken breast (up to 20% a day). I also feed them fish only about once a week and that's when I'll buy the Fancy Feast or the other Tiki Cat varieties that contain seafood.

Also, adding extra water (as much as the cats will allow) really helps keep them hydrated and keep them fuller longer.

I have to mix the Tiki Cat in with their Pate for them to eat it. But when I don't mix any in, they look at me like I'm evil giving them just plain Friskies Sludge.

20. Alexis & Nikki (GA)

Alexis & Nikki (GA) Member

Not sure if anyone mentioned it but be careful with Honest Kitchen, their food is on the high side for carbs. The "Grace" food is about 10% and the other variety they offer is higher according to Dr Lisa's list.

21. JackieVendetti

JackieVendetti Member

KPassa - that is a GREAT idea - mix it in with another kind of food!

I am not 100% sure how I am going to get Petie to eat cooked chicken, other than to mix it in with maybe stella and chewy's or another food that he loves.

Nikki's mom - thanks! I haven't come across Honest Kitchen yet. But I will be on the lookout.

22. SabrinaFaire

SabrinaFaire Member

Hobbs was on insulin for about a month and has been OTJ for 19 months. At first I was feeding him EVO 95%, but it seemed too rich for him and he was getting sick after awhile (then they had all those recalls, though that one I don't think was ever recalled). He was on Merrick's for a long time but they recently changed their formula and don't have their nutritional information yet. Now he's on Wellness Turkey which he seems to like and I can buy them in 12oz cans which saves some money. Hobbs also has CKD so I have to give him food that's low in phosphorous so that limits my choices.

23. JackieVendetti

JackieVendetti Member

Hi Sabrina,

Good for Hobbs only OTJ for a month! How old is Hobbs? Poor Hobbs is CKD too - poor baby. Yeah - it does limit, doesn't it.

Yeah - that Evo chicken and turkey Petie loved but I have some strange feeling it made him sick, too :( Although it could be because he literally scarfed it off the plate, but I felt like it just didn't sit well with him.

At this point, Petie seems to like Nature's Variety Chicken and their Beef and their Venison and their lamb. He seems to like Wellness Core Chicken and he ate their Beef, Lamb, Venison but then stopped. He LOVES Stella & Chewy's, but I may save that for times when I really need him to eat. Like maybe I will introduce cooked chicken that way to him. Going to try that this weekend. He also was eating Merrick but then he stopped. Same with Abady and Wild Calling. I am also going to try Weruva.

I really wanna get some cooked chicken into this cat. I think that will help him tremendously.

24. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Remember that the 3 keys to remission are

1. a good insulin like Lantus - you have this :smile:
    2. a low carb canned - you are working on it :smile:
    3. home testing....?not yet? :?
    Home testing is important to allow you to really see what his blood sugar is doing. It keeps him safe as his blood sugar drops due to the food or as he approaches remission. It lets you know when dose changes are needed - whether to drop them if the dose is too high or raise them if the dose is too low..

Have you decided if you are going to home test?

25. JackieVendetti

JackieVendetti Member

I am definitely going to hometest. We just got the meter and I am going out now to get some lancets - 27 or 28 gauge?

I have been doing keto-diastix 2x a day and his glucose is still pretty high according to that...Haven't tested him today, though as he got skittish because something fell on the floor :(

26. Hillary & Maui (GA)

28 or 29 gauge is just fine.

Remember the lower the number the fatter the needle.

27. JackieVendetti

JackieVendetti Member

Well, that didn't go so well. I got the blood, just couldn't get it on the meter. He ran away :( Now he is mad even though I filled him up with treats - he has been sitting in the other room looking at me like I was trying to kill him. sigh.

28. Deb & Wink

It will take some time to get the home testing steps coordinated and get that blood drop sipped up on the test strip.

You might try getting everything set up and ready in your test spot, heat up your rice sock, only push the strip partially into the meter and only then go find your cat and bring Petie to the test spot. Sweet talk him. Tell him what a good boy he is. Touch and warm his ears. Sometimes, having the cat up on a chair or counter or cat tree makes the cat more comfortable.

Three tries to get blood and stop. Always give Petie a treat, successful test or not. Try doing that 5, 6, 7 times a day. How ever many times you can think of it. Maybe not even poking each time. Get him used to being in his test spot and getting the routine down, rubbing and warming Peties ears.

You can also try to get the blood drop on your fingernail and test from there.

29. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Once he starts to bleed hold that ear firmly and test. Then hold the spot a few seconds to stop the bleeding.. Release and give treat! It will get easier with practice..

30. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If necessary, catch the droplet on a clean fingernail and test from there.

Here are some glucose reference ranges used for decision making using glucometers. Human glucometer numbers are given first. Numbers in parentheses are for non-US meters. Numbers in curly braces are estimates for an AlphaTrak.

< 40 mg/dL (2.2 mmol/L) {< 70 mg/dL for an AlphaTrak}
    - Treat as if HYPO if on insulin
    - At nadir (lowest point between shots) in a long term diabetic (more than a year), may earn a reduction.

< 50 mg/dL (2.8 mmol/L) {< 80 mg/dL for an AlphaTrak}
    - If before nadir, steer with food, ie, give modest amounts of medium carb food to keep from going below 50 (2.8).
    - At nadir, often indicates dose reduction is earned.

50 - 130 mg/dL (2.8 - 7.2 mmol/L) {80 - 160 mg/dL for an AlphaTrak}
    - On insulin - great control when following a tight regulation protocol.
    - Off insulin - normal numbers.
    (May even go as low as the upper 30s (1.7 mmol/L){60s for an AlphaTrak}; if not on insulin, this can be safe.

> 150 mg/dL (8.3 mmol/L) {> 180 mg/dL for an AlphaTrak}
    - At nadir, indicates a dose increase may be needed when following a tight regulation protocol.

200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) {230 mg/dL for an AlphaTrak}
    - no shot level for beginners; may slowly reduce to 150 mg/dL (8.3 mmol/L) {180 mg/dL} for long-acting insulins (Lantus, Levemir, and ProZinc) as data collection shows it is safe

180 - 280 mg/dL (10 - 15.6 mmol/L) {may be 210 - 310 mg/dL for an AlphaTrak}- Any time - The renal threshold (depending on data source and cat's renal function) where glucose spills into the urine.
    - Test for ketones, glucose is too high.

>= 280 mg/dL (15.6 mmol/L) {may be >=310 mg/dL for an AlphaTrak}, if for most of the cycle between shots
    - Uncontrolled diabetes and thus at risk for diabetic ketoacidosis and hepatic lipidosis
    - Follow your insulin protocol for dose adjustments
    - Test for ketones; if more than a trace level of ketones, go to vet ASAP.

31. JackieVendetti

JackieVendetti Member

Thanks you guys! These are great tips. I had some blood on my finger - so I think I could get some on my fingernail. The problem is he yanks his head so hard away it's crazy. I totally overloaded him on treats before during and after (freeze dried salmon - his momentary favorite). I have always touched and played with his ears which was probably why i was able to get the blood right away. Just trying to maneuver the machine to the ear was impossible. But if I get it on my fingertip and then use that to get it to the machine - that should work much better. Or at least it should :(

Yes - I had everything all right together - I have watched some videos of other cat owners who test and their kitties are sooo nice. But I never thought of putting him somewhere special? We live in a small apt and I am afraid if I put him somewhere he's not used to being (like on the kitchen table or counter) that will freak him out? I guess I could try the bed, but he doesn't usually go there in summer and he is recovering from a fractured leg so I don't want him jumping off the bed. Oi - what do you think? We just tried it on the living room floor next to his toys.

I think I may have gone all the way through the ear, too. That's bad, right?

BJM - thanks for the detailed instructions on the numbers.

His glucose was 303-311 when we checked last week at the docs. I do use keto-diastix daily (usually 2x a day) for ketones and look at the glucose in his urine until we can get this blood testing thing down. Just to make sure there are no ketones and his glucose level is still high enough to give him the shot.

32. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

I dont put my guys anywhere special - i just go for them wherever they are but a lot of people here do have special places. Depends on your cat. My Tiggy has an attitude and he wouldnt like put anywhere !

Its ok. You dont want to do it on a regular basis but you are just starting out and will learn this. Just apply a little neosporin to it to help healing. That may be also why he ran away. Are you using the tool or freehanding the lancet?

Now that you are testing its time to set up a spreadsheet - heres how - let us know if you need help with it http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207

You want to test 3-4 times a day ideally:
    - ALWAYS before every shot to make sure he isn't too low - as a newbie that too low number is 200. But as time goes on and you get more data and he comes more into a normal blood glucose range we reduce your no shot number.
    - Mid cycle -5-7 hours after the shot to see his "nadir" (or low point). The low point is what you base dose changes on, not the preshot level. This test can be hard for people who work during the week but it can be done overnight and/or at weekends.
    - Before bed - 2-3 hours after your evening shot. If this number is lower than your preshot number you may want to set the alarm for a later test that night as it implies an active cycle

Wendy

33. JackieVendetti

JackieVendetti Member

Thank you, Wendy. I wish Petie would go to the same place, but I just don't think he will. Maybe eventually - it's something to aim for!

My fiance is going to try to get the reading today. Later.

You test 3-4 times a day? Oi - but I guess that's the safest thing.

I free-handed the lancet because the noise would make him bolt.

Ok - once I get a reading, I will start that spreadsheet. I have my own that I am keeping for his eating, insulin, poohing, etc.

Thanks, everyone!!

34. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Ok so put something firm behind the ear to press against and go in at a 45degree angle , that way you shouldn't pierce through..

35. DaisyPaws

DaisyPaws Member

Hi, Jackie,
    When we first started home testing, I thought we were doomed to drag an upset cat out from under the bed every day. Turns out, I was amazed at how quickly Daisy went from wide-eyed panic to matter-of-fact about the whole process.
    Here are some things that helped us:
    -Four on the floor. Daisy gets stressed when her feet are off the ground, so I sit on the floor with her in my lap, with her back feet on the floor in my lap and her front feet stretching over one of my legs to touch the floor on the other side. I can then use my arms to kind of press her down into my lap to calm her down if needed.

-Find kitty's currency and condition accordingly! Daisy is a dry food fiend, and once it disappeared from her food bowl she missed it dearly. We found a fairly low-carb, high quality treat (Wild Cravings) that she loves when running low and otherwise "off her food". She also gots one, single treat when she got her ear tested for those first few weeks. We keep a little bag of treats and her testing supplies in a pencil box. We got her in the habit of coming for a treat when we shook the pencil box. Soon, she would come racing, purring madly, every time she heard the box rattle. From there, we introduced testing after we shook the box - before she got the treat - and then we weaned her down to treats every once in awhile, but not every time. Happily, she still associates the rattle of the pencil box with good things, and trots over willingly.

-Finally - and this is the BIG one - your kitty is reading your mood and energy. Cats scratch each other in play all the time, and many "less fortunate" outdoor cats live with constant fleas... they just aren't wired to be as sensitive to little sticks and pricks as we are! Chances are, your cat's upset has more to do with your own anxiety and upset and the unfamiliarity of the situation than actual pain.
    Cats read tone and body language loud and clear, so you want yours to say "you're safe" loud and clear! Take some deep breaths before you test and consciously calm down. Pay attention to your heart rate and keep breathing. Use a quiet, matter-of-fact tone as you talk to your cat, reassuring both of you that "we can handle this". Treat the whole things a you would any other little chore, like trimming claws, grooming, or administering flea meds. Your cat will read your cues and realize that he is safe.

Hang in there - it really will get easier!

36. JackieVendetti

JackieVendetti Member

Thank you, DaisyPaws! That is really good advice. At this point, my fiance is the one who is doing the testing as I am just too nervous. He is going to do most of the shots, too.

I like that you keep all four paws on the floor and give her a treat. We were giving a treat before hand, which makes him nuts.

I really wish I had taught him all this when he was a kitten.

Sigh - we are going to try again tonight.

Thank you!!

37. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Mikey was a little 6-month-old kitten when I had to start learning to test him. Not fun! He was either thinking I was trying to play or that I was torturing him during those first few weeks. We hadn't yet had a chance to create a life-long bond and I was still this human who would do weird human things that weren't cat-like and it was (still is) confusing to him why I wasn't more like him (like why I walk on two legs vs. his four :lol: ).

I wrote this up for others who have difficulty testing, difficult cats, or who just find the whole process a little overwhelming and it might help you gain some insight into things you can modify or change for better results.

38. JackieVendetti

JackieVendetti Member

Thanks, KPassa. That was really, really sweet. Yeah - we chose a spot where Petie always sits in the middle of the living room. That first time I tried, he just yanked and yanked his head and then ran away.

But do you give him treats before or after? Petie gets really distracted by treats before, so I don't know.

39. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

When I first started out, I would inundate Mikey with treats. The more, the better! I would leave little trails for him to his testing spot, I would pile them on my knee while I tested him, I would give him treats after I finished testing him, I would give him treats when I played with his ears, I would give him treats when I clicked the lancet pen next to his ears. I would basically give him treats every time I wanted him to associate a behavior or an action with something positive (the treats). Once we both got the testing down, I started weaning him off the treats and now, he doesn't even notice whether or not I give him treats any more. He just cares that there's food in his dish. :lol:

40. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Contrary to what I always tell newbies, I dont actually give treats for testing. Both boys got so excited they wouldnt sit still and would be going nuts looking for the treat. So now they just get ear rubs or scritches which they love just as much. However in your case it sounds like he really likes treats so so you might be better hiding them when you test - or do what Kay said.. it might take a little experimenting.

41. JackieVendetti

JackieVendetti Member

Thanks, Wendy and Kay. You guys are so helpful.

Yeah - at first, I was pulling out the treats and Petie went nuts. Today, I tried twice (I wasn't successful - the needle just wouldn't penetrate - I tried a 28 and a 26 gauge and still no blood :(

I have found that just rubbing his ear he really likes and cooing to him. I poked him about 5 times to no avail - at one point, he just scratched his ear. At which point, I decided enough poking for one day and just gave him a very long belly rub.

I will try again tomorrow :(

Thinking on maybe getting him used to the clicker on the pen.

42. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

You could try not using the pen. Some cats hate the noise. Just freehand the lancet - it gives you more control and can work better if you arent getting blood. You go in at 45degrees and have something hard behind the ear to press against like a pill bottle lid.

Or try and get him used to pen clicking. I would also move those treats into a different container and put them beside your kit so that he isnt triggered to get happy so much from the treat bag, as from the test itself.

Wendy

43. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Petie seems to be tolerating testing fairly well. :thumbup We usually say to try only three times before giving it a rest so you don't exhaust Petie's or your patience. The more you do it, the more his ear will start to bleed and you'll get more successful tests in. Just keep persistent and put on a comfy pair of patience pants sweats to get you through the first couple of weeks. ;-)

44. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Yep! This is my Henry. If I were to have to start testing him regularly, I wouldn't use treats at all because he'd be even more uncontrollable than he already is. :roll: :lol:

45. JackieVendetti

JackieVendetti Member

Does anyone else feed their kitty Evo Chicken and turkey? Petie cat LOVES it but I've been reading that others claim it killed their kitties. Would love to hear from some of you on this if you have....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.