????It happened again....

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jill & Jade, Jun 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Next time, try stalling, DON'T feed and test again in 30 minutes

If the number goes up, it's probably going to be OK to go ahead and shoot, but anytime you shoot a lower than expected number, it's best to get a +1 and +2 so if you need to intervene, you can do it early.

If you do stall, post and make sure your subject line says something like "STALLING...NEED HELP!"....that usually will get some eyes on your post and once you have someone helping you, you can edit and change it back to your normal daily subject line (with the date/cats name/numbers)

We ask that you only post once a day here because there are so many cats here it's hard to keep track of more than that. Just edit your subject line if you need to get someone's attention.

3. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

Chris has some good advice. It takes a while to learn the FD dance. It takes time and good data to learn when to shoot with low numbers. Don't stress about a single skipped shot. A common quote around here is "better a day too high then an hour too low."

Just being on the boards and learning says you care a lot about Jade and the big picture is more important then a single day. Don't worry too much, we have ALL fretted about a decision at one point, or more then a few in my case.:)

Carol in Chicago and Jill & Jade like this.
  4. Jill & Jade

Thank you. I appreciate that. I've cried almost daily since this started. It's quite consuming. My other cat who has always been the attention hog is pouting.Often. Which adds to the guilt I'm already having from poking Jade so often.
    The low number and opting not to shoot happened the other night too after doing a curve with great numbers for the first 8 hours or so. I guess if it made sense to me, it wouldn't be so upsetting but I'm having a really hard time understanding how FB /insulin all work. It's like a foreign language to me when I try to read and learn about it.

5. Jill & Jade

Ok. Thanks. I went to .75 this morning with her amps at 337. I'm worried that I'm going to get chastised by my Vet for doing that when I take her in for a one month check up. When I mentioned this FDMB early on they said to stop looking at it. I'm glad I didn't take that advice.

Sonia & Leo and Amanda & Shmee like this.
  6. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug:
    It will all come in due time. It took me a long time to understand the FD dance and there are still lots of things I am still learning! Wes makes a very good point by saying that we know (and you know) that you want the best for your kitty just by you being here. If Karen and Bobbie weren't holding my hand when i switched to Lantus, I think I would have lost my mind!
    This is all so new to you; don't beat yourself up for not knowing, or for playing the safe side.
    We're here for you :bighug:

7. Jill & Jade

Sitting here bawling just seeing your hug emojis...lol...but true! Thank you! I needed that.

8. Jill & Jade

She's at 263 at +2. Leaving for work in a bit and hoping thats an ok number? I know if I'm going by the general rule of thumb you gave me, it may not be. Not 100% sure what to do?

9. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Did you figure out if you are going to be doing TR or SLGS? It's been a ling time on that 1U dose
    Hi Jill, since I am new I don't have much advice to offer other than make sure you are leaving food out for her. It does mean that she will probably have an active cycle, but that isn't always scary / meaning it doesn't mean she is going to drop super low. Yes you should be on alert, but if you have to go to work I think she will be ok.
    When you have a question, to get more peoples eyes on it make sure to add the blue question mark prefix to your title, and change the title to "Question: ____"

Jill & Jade likes this.
  10. Jill & Jade

142 @+ 2 1/2 hours. Fed her a bit and
    i could honestly throw up. 147 when I left. Gave her food, 3 treats and left more food out. I feel so damn helpless.

11. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

I understand your frustration. I've been here since February & I still get upset about my Ravan's BG (Blood Glucose) going up high. (today he's back over 400)
    I learned quickly not to ask my Vet anymore. I just follow what they tell me on this forum. It gets too confusing.
    The people here have a lot more experience with treating Feline Diabetes than most Vets.

What will help you the most is to copy the information in the Sticky notes. Put it in a folder & read it frequently.

If you follow what they advise you it will get easier.:)

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  12. Jill & Jade

It’s nerve wracking! Too high is less dangerous than too low from what I understand. My worry is that she’s slipping into dangerous territory while I’m here, at work. I just have to trust that I’ve done all I can do and pray that she’s ok when I get home at 10pm. Her behavior ( high or low) has never changed much. She’s purring, playing and preening. Peeing but hasn’t pooped in a bit. I swear I just got a bloody nose from the stress. I run a restaurant and have to now greet everyone with a smile even tho I’m in knots on the inside. My Vet says it sounds like she should be ok. I hope she’s right. I just don’t understand why she went low when she should have gone high unless it’s because I skipped last night.

13. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

It must be so difficult having to work all the hours & be worried about your kitty. I'm retired for many yrs now & it's still stressful sometimes just to leave the house. It will get better.

I feel you need to follow the advice of the people here. There are many people that work fulltime & have figured out ways to make it work. Skipping doses is not a good idea . You need to take the time to read the information provided It will make it so much easier to understand why you need to do certain things.

My vet told me I didn't need to test his blood so much. After reading & listening to the advice here I understand why I need to do things a certain way. If you're going to listen to your vet it will get even more confusing.

Each day as you learn more it will get easier.

Jill & Jade and Amanda & Shmee like this.
  14. Jill & Jade

I almost always do follow their advice. I absolutely trust the people here. No question. Everyone has been great. Skipping a dose isn’t my first “go to “ plan. But at the time last night, there was nobody online to help until after a window of opportunity seems to have passed. Next time I will absolutely follow the advice to STALL!! Which in retrospect, I should have done last night. I also need to start making my thread titles differently to be more specific. I had been given the STALL advice before and just panicked instead of following it. :oops:

15. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Jill.....breathe! In-Out In-Out.

She was low last night....you skipped with that skipped shot and low number (she most likely would of bounced). This morning she got some juice and cleared a bounce...great momentum to the low numbers again.

We want low numbers but we don't like that diving! You are new at it...take a breathe...read the information and tips given and try them.

I am wondering if we want to try to even her out a bit and get two shots in a day. When you are going to be gone and Jade is dropping at that +2 like that...give some higher carb food in the morning. And I don't mean high carb (20%) but higher carb (like 2-4% higher than her normal food). I used to crush up a whiskas on Jones day food before I left for work when I saw he was high the night before and he looked like he may break a bounce...just to prop him up a bit.

Or you can give like 7% carb - like a tsp to give a boost at shot time so Jade doesn't drop by +2. If you do this on days off and get extra tests in...you will eventually find the pattern and see how Jade reacts to the carb content.

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  16. Jill & Jade

Thank you! She’s supposed to be getting 2 shots a day... tonight I hope for a good number! My head is spinning and I will read and reread this message when I get home. I think I get what you’re saying! Thank you again. And again.

17. Tracey&Jones (GA)

If not just tag me!

Jill & Jade likes this.
  18. Jill & Jade

I think that you’re saying that if I dont shoot in the pm, to add some carbs to her am?
    I really am not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to learning and understanding new things. :rolleyes:o_O Should have paid attention in school!! I don’t even know how to “tag” you. I know how to do it on Facebook tho! :confused:

19. Chris & China (GA)

To "tag", you put the @ symbol and then start typing the name of the person you want to tag....a list of names that match what you type in will drop down for you to choose the right person

Like @Jill Hollister

Jill & Jade likes this.
  20. Jill & Jade

Just like Facebook! Thank you.
    Think my girl will be ok, Chris?

21. Chris & China (GA)

Yeah, but I agree that it might be a good idea if she's going to continue these quick drops for you to get something "higher" carb......like something 7-9%

Then, if at +2 she's dropping, you could leave some down for her to get to later in the cycle if she needs it

Another option you might want to really consider is getting an auto-feeder. That way you can put food in and program it to open when you want her to have food while you're at work

Jill & Jade likes this.
  22. Jill & Jade

Can you give me any recommendations for a mildly higher carb food? I left out some Sheba pate and had her eat some Ff chicken pate before I left. And 2 Greenies.

23. Jill & Jade

I assume those only dispense dry food?

24. Jill & Jade

The dry food question may have been the dumbest one yet. Of course it’s only dry food! That was a stress question! But the food recommendation was legit!! Lol!

25. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

not at all - it'll dispense what you've put in to it!
    Some people freeze their food portions into a an ice cubes and leave it out.
    In a few hours - climate zone dependent - the food will thaw and a catwill have something fresh to eat.
    Some put just apportioned wet foods with extra water - plenty of variations - all depends on what you cat eats.

26. Chris & China (GA)

Nope! The PetSafe5 has 5 "holes" and you can put whatever food you want in it and program it to open to a fresh meal when you want her to have food

Jill & Jade likes this.
  27. Jill & Jade

Yaaaaaaaa!!!! I’ll be doing that as soon as I get home to a hopefully just fine cat!! :(

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  28. Jill & Jade

:bighug:

29. Chris & China (GA)

Check the Food Chart and pick some flavors you think she'll like in the 7-9% range

30. Jill & Jade

Ordered it!!

31. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Looks like you got some good advice from Chris. If you get a low...stall and post.

The next day after the low she will be high from a bounce...that morning I would use some higher carb food to slow the drop and hopefully have a number to shoot number that night.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Jill & Jade likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.