itchy and scratchy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anyname, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyname

Anyname Member

New problem. You all will have noticed how cats lick madly when you pat their back above their tail? Well recently LB is sensitive over a much greater area. He is itchy and very reactive to patting around other parts of his body. Tonight I noticed him licking areas intensively and he's obviously quite troubled by itching. I then found little out-breaks of pimply scaly red spots which could be ring worm but is much more likely connected to the over all itchiness he's developed. His coat has thinned a lot on his tummy - he's only got a bit of soft down instead of a furry tummy now. And this balding problem extends right around to the back of his legs. It's making him look thinner because he was such a fluffy cat previously who used to have magnificent britchers made of fur - but no more.

He is considered an allergy prone cat - he has a growth on his tongue - which is why he was on steriods which lead to him developing diabetes. I thought I read that cats can be allergic to protein in some meats. He is now on an all meat diet - which is working well for his diabetes but may be making him worse with skin allergies. Could it be that he's allergic to Lantus?

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Check carefully for fleas. Could be due to flea allergy. It does not take many fleas or flea bites to set off a flea allergy in some kitties.

4. Anyname

Anyname Member

Thanks - I have read a fair bit on it now and don't think it's related to diabetes. We have had a long running discussion with vet about flea treatment. We haven't done it for ages because he hates it so much and there is absolutely no evidence of fleas. Vet wants us to treat just in case but no flea dirt, no black spots nothing. he's as clean as a whistle. He has had them in the past and they are not hard to find. If he'd had fleas 6 months ago when I had this discussion with the vet he'd be covered in them by now (as he was when we were away once and DS was looking after him - yikes!!).
    I am a very hands on mommy and am always pulling his fur apart feelings his various lumps and bumps - which seem to be part of his thinning fur problem (I don't think fleas would make him go bald in parts). The only other thing I'm going to get the vet to look for is mites. I also want to get the taurine started - as it could be a vit deficiency but read up on it at midnight and it seems it's difficult to know what dose to give. I don't really know if it's available in Australia - I asked the vet and he was dismissive - ho hum. I noticed that omega 3 and 6 are important too. Actually the best thing might be evening primrose oil as it is meant to be very good at treating dermititis. But I do want to find out how to buy taurine supplements.
    It's not ring worm - no doubt in my mind on that.

5. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

6. Anyname

Anyname Member

Yes, read that site last nite and more! patchy fur didn't feature high on all the taurine deficient sites but it's definitely a possibility for LB. Thing is though he was like it from over a year ago - and a year ago he was getting his fill of tinned pet food and cat biscuits - the best quality available and in abundance - so don't think it started as a taurine deficiency. There is loads for me to look at from old posts tho and I'm now on a mission to sort it for him. Nothing worse than being itchy!!!

7. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I hope you figure out what is causing the problem. I have a civvie that has been on steroid shots for allergies for years. I once found one flea on her and it caused some serious scratching so we give all 4 cats revolution every month just because of Chloe's possible flea allergy (what we do for our babies right?) ;-)

8. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Yep know the itchy thing all too well we have a civie Onyx that was just recently dxed with food allergies, poor guy is allergic to beef, fish (but no seafood), and eggs, thus also most of his vaccines since many are egg based like the human flu shot. So now it is strictly chicken or turkey for our guy. But it is awful to watch them scratch and not know how to help them. Hope you can come up with an answer for your guy.

Mel

9. Anyname

Anyname Member

We have seen the vet and he says it's almost certainly an allergy. We have agreed to use flea stuff every month. :-( I think this is the only way to approach the problem. Then if he doesn't improve in two months we start with testing. Vet says he has the potential to get a lot worse so we must do everything we can to help LB as he cannot take steriods again. Vet says the skin prob is over a big area - he very fluffy cat and looks like he's wearing stockings from behind as he's lost so much fur down the back of his hind legs. This innocent little critter is bringing out both DH's and my protective instincts - even if we have to put that flea crud on him. :sad: Have one tube of Advantage for cats over 4ks left. Is it ok to use before purchasing Revolution or Resolution??

Vet quite impressed with our approach to diabetes. He said we are probably one of a handful of Australians who blood glucose test our cat. The granuloma on his tongue has shrunk away to hardly noticable. Interesting that I always thought it was caused from processed food and now he's having all fresh raw meat. But other allergies must be from beef or chicken. So complicated eh?

10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a good plan, Marilyn. Yes, it would make your life more complicated if it turns out he is allergic to beef or chicken. I think I have heard that beef is the most likely culprit.

One vet at a time.....Glad your vet is on board. Maybe he will urge his next patient to hometest.

11. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Just a thought, my civie had bald patches on both hind legs before he was dx with Hyper Thyroid.

12. Anyname

Anyname Member

apart from bald patches behind both hind legs what other symptoms did civie have?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.