? It's a 55 kind of day.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ferndoc, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

So Fern just tested at 55 on +5. Guess who got Greenies instead of Chicken for a treat (and he's eating some more food.) I will test him in another 30-hour and watch him to make sure I don't have to adjust anymore. If it drops lower I have some chicken baby food I'll stick maple syrup in. Good plan right. Testing on a human meter.

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Good catch!

Sounds like you've got things well under control, but be sure to post for help if you need it (and if you're really concerned use Thread Tools at the top of the thread to set a 911 if you need urgent assistance.)

The basic idea is to feed small amounts with the right sort of carbs (lower the number, higher the carbs) then test every 20-30 minutes. That way you avoid filling little Ferndoc up and you can feed more each time you need to.

Mogs

3. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

It's back up to 83 about 20-30 minutes later. I have to leave for work in about 45 minutes and will check one time before I go.

4. Critter Mom

Only just saw this so sorry if I missed you.

For future reference if you're in a situation like this, it's a good plan to leave food with appropriate carbs down if you have to go out. Better too high for a few hours than too low for a minute. ;)

Mogs

5. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

He was at 100+ after his treats so I felt comfortable leaving. I probably "overcompensated" with 10 or so treats at his low + a few he snatched in his follow up pokes from his civvie brother after he got chicken.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Critter Mom

It's no harm to err on the side of caution. Sometimes the high carbs can wear off quite quickly (including honey/karo), hence the need to keep testing for a while to make sure the BG doesn't drop back down again.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.