Its been a few months but we are new...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Levi598, Jul 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Levi598

Levi598 New Member

Hello everyone!
    My name is Tina and my big orange tabby boy is Tater. I can't have kids so he is a spoiled and very loved boy. Tater was diagnosed about 3 months ago and is on 2 shots per day of Vetsulin, a total of 5.0 Prior to his diagnosis, he seemed to all of the sudden not be able to jump up onto my bed. My bed is rather high so I thought maybe he had hurt himself since it seemed to just come on. But then things progressed and it seemed to do so quickly. He could not jump and if he tried even a low chair, he had to pull himself up. And his walk was very poor in his rear legs. So I got him into the vet, not my preferred vet but like many here, I am on a very low income and can only afford what I can right now. If I could do better trust me, I would. But the vet I go to tries to help within some patients budgets and he also allows me to make payments. He also helps me with some of my feral cats that I feed when they are injured or need antibiotics. But back to Tater...I brought him in and he had me put him down to walk. He immediately asked his assistant to the glucose meter. They drew some blood and tested it and he said "yep, he is diabetic". I was a little surprised and kinda in shock. Esp when I learned I was going to have to give him shots daily, I have never given anyone or anything a shot. But I put on my big girl panties and learned how to do it. I told him after I did it the second time with water that I could almost pass out. He said "why, you did it" And I replied "because I did it, that is why".

I took Tater back a week later to check his levels and he said lets stay on one shot per day and retest in another week. At the second test he says that we need to do 2 shots per day. So that is where we are at. I have put Tater back on a grain free dry (he was on one before but now on one with even lower carbs, he is on EVO and also Instinct with raw boost) and I watch every can that I purchase for him. It is hard to find any grain free canned that he likes so I have found a few kitten formulas that he does eat and seem to like and also some of the Friskies or Fancy Feast formulas on the list.

I have a few questions, mostly because my vet is not the first choice of mine. His manner of speaking with clients and his interactions with the patients is usually limited and he has his assistant do a lot of what I would expect of him. So here they are:
    1- I have not been able to afford a blood panel or full blood test for Tater, if his blood glucose is checked, is that needed at this time?
    2- Sometimes my schedule does not allow me to get home in time for his shot and it is late. Or there are times when I am trying to leave for work and either he is fighting me and biting me when I try to give him the shot or he hides and I can't find him.
    *I have read some of the tips here and they did help, I just re-read them and found perhaps I was not "tenting' properly and it may be hurtful. So I will work on my technique. :)
    3- How bad is it if he misses a shot or its late? I have read that the insulin we are using is not the best and it can be harsh on his body. Am I shortening his years with me? Does having diabetes equal a shorter life?
    4-He has thrown up a few times, could that be signs of the hypoglycemia?

Thanks for any ideas or words of advice you have. I am so glad I found this board. :)
    Tina

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It would have been nice to have a fructosamine test that would have given you a 2 weeks average of levels, but a high number at the vet or at home is a pretty good indicator. Can we talk you into testing him at home? The numbers are more accurate (no vet stress) and it is much cheaper. And you won't have to wonder whether he is too low or too high or if it is safe to shoot.

There is lots of info on home testing here:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Let us know if we can help.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!).
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet. Food changes should be gradual to avoid GI upsets - 20-25% different food each day until switched. Unfortunately, grain free does not mean low carbohydrate. There are 2 low carb, dry, over the counter foods in the US - Evo Cat and Kitten dry found at pet specialty stores and Young Again 0 Carb found online.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir. If you already have something else, we can help you use it the most effectively with our user guidse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.