It's hot out there, watch your furbabies

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Meya14, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

I woke up late this morning and half wondered why Max didn't come to eat breakfast when I fed them. Didn't think too much about it, though. A couple hours later, around 2 this afternoon, I still hadn't seen Max, and assumed he was upstairs with the husband. I went outside to do some gardening and heard Max crying. When my husband had turned on the air conditioning this morning, he had closed our front door that goes out to our tiny sunroom. Max had been sleeping in the window and had been locked out of the house. He had been in the sunroom, in full sun, in 90 degree temps for a couple hours. The temperature in the porch was probably around 95 or 100F. Poor baby.

He went for the food immediately when I got him back inside, so he's probably pretty dehydrated. Blood sugars a little high, but they came down after he ate. He's been walking around the house crying all day since I found him (anxiety? headache?), but seems otherwise ok, thank God.

Please, watch your furkids especially in the heat!

Robin&BB and Jeanne like this.
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Check him with the scruff test and the gum test described in my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools.

Cats can tolerate somewhat high temperatures for a while, but if he is dehydrated enough his scruff is tenting severely, it might be prudent to go to a 24 hour vet and get some subcutaneous fluids and a check up to make sure he'll be OK.

Robin&BB likes this.
  3. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

He was pretty dry and hot when I found him. He still hasn't had any water, just food, so I added a little water to the food. He's not much of a water drinker. I worry about his kidneys now, but he's acting ok and eating a lot.

4. dana moore

dana moore Member

Omg that's horrible. I pray that he's okay

5. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

Wow, that must have been so scary for you, Meya! Glad to hear you added some water to his food (I do it all the time with Bat-Bat, but primarily to help slow her down to head off the "scarf & barf" scenario.) He may, indeed, have a headache for a while from being in high heat. But that he went right for his food - and kept it down - is a good sign that he'll bounce back for you.

6. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

He's not tenting at all and his mouth is pretty moist now. He's been sitting slowly eating his food all day today so I think he's ok. Scary anyway.

7. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

Good news!

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

When he settles down to rest, try putting a thin, damp cloth around the top of his head and his neck. It may help to cool him and ease any headache he might have. Poor love.

Jeanne likes this.
  9. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Meya14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.