IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Alexia and Blue, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

7/29
    AM- 97 0% food
    PM- 73 2% food

7/30
    AM- 78 3% food
    PM- 83 3% food

7/31
    AM- 98 0% food
    PM- 89 3% food

8/1
    AM- 83 3% food

I can't believe we are here! OTJ!!!!!!! I am so excited and proud of him that I can hardly contain myself! HE DID IT!!! party_cat Put your party hats on because this is going to be a big one!! drinking09

Take that vet who wanted me to stay on WD. Take that vet who said that home testing would ruin my relationship with Blue! Take that vet who refused to prescribe u100 needles for micro dosing! The best thing I ever did for my cat is not listen to you! So, take that, take that, take that!!

I am smiling from ear to ear. My little Blue is officially my little green man. Thank you so much for everyone's help- especially you, Hillary- there is no way that we would be where we are today if it wasn't for your patience, wisdom, courage(that you gave me!), and love. Blue and I sincerely thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

SO WHAT NOW?!

Well if you will excuse me, I have to get off of here and help Blue finish packing so he can move into that new house in the FALLS!!

<3

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I've been looking and waiting for this post! Congratulations Alexia and Blue! My heart is filled with joy and I have happy tears coming out of my eyes!

I am so proud of you for having the courage to listen to strangers on this board and not the vet. I am so happy that I was able to be part of this journey and help you two get started down the path to green! And not only trust strangers, but trust me to take care of your boy. I don't know if I could have done the same, had I been in your circumstance.

That first 50 was a definite surprise to me. But I'm glad it happened while he was camping out here and not at home. Having gone through it with Maui, I knew what to do and how not to freak out. It also helped prepare you for what was to come!

So, let's celebrate this day and celebrate you and Blue. It was your hard work, dedication and willingness to listen, learn and do is what got him to this day. Never forget that! You are his mama and you are a warrior!

Congratulations to you both!

[​IMG]

Hey Blue,

I hear you are packing your bags and coming to the Falls. Well, while I didn't really like you in my house and I had to show you who the boss is, I do have an interesting offer just for you! I hear you need a job, err something to do while in the Falls. I have this lovely blue speedo uniform, err outfit that I think will fit you perfectly. And I have all this cleaning equipment, err toys for you to use when get here. So come on over, try on your uniform, err outfit and grab the brush, err toy and get to work.

Signed Maui the Magnificent

3. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

boy, is it wonderful to read this! you made it!!!! :)
    Cleo says where are the snacks?! it wouldn't be an OTJ party without niptinis and snackies! :)
    [​IMG]

4. Emma

Emma New Member

Hi Alexia,

I am so happy for you and Blue. I'm new to all this chatting on line and is there anyway I could read how you did this? It has been a 3 month nightmare since Xena was diagnosed. She bottomed out so many times that the vet took her off ProZinc. We are right back where we started. Xena fought her injections towards the end (I think because she knew they were almost killing her). And I'm wracked with all this guilt that I made her suffer with this insanity.
    She eats only canned Purina DM now (3 months!). What home testing meter did you use? They didn't want me to home test either. All they want to do now is more tests. The vet says there must be something seriously wrong with Xena that makes her keep bottoming out (bg 40). Any words of wisdom would be appreciated! Emma

5. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Emma,

Please open a new thread/new topic for yourself and your kitty - we dont want you to get lost in someone else's thread ok?

6. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Congratulations Alexia and Blue!!!!! party_cat

7. RuthV

RuthV Member

This is tremendous news. I also would like to know just how you did it. Can we see a separate post with game plan you used?

I am new with this problem, and would love to know how it's accomplished. Thanks. When you get a moment, of course.

Again, YIPPEE!!

8. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Congratulations Alexia and Blue! party_cat party_cat party_cat
    flip_cat flip_cat flip_cat flip_cat flip_cat

9. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

Congratulations! Welcome to the Falls! :mrgreen:

10. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

WHOOOOHOOOOOO!!!

Congrats!

11. bradie96

bradie96 Member

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

welcome to the wonderful world of OTJ!!!

12. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

Congrats and welcome to the falls! So wonderful that your Blue is now green. :D

[​IMG]

13. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

That's AWESOME. Curry said she wanted to change her name to Blue hoping that her mommy wouldn't stick her any more.

This news is so wonderful. It gives me tons of hope.

Congrats!!!

14. Barb and Lance

Barb and Lance New Member

That is awesome news!!!

:RAHCAT

15. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

Congratulations. I am so pleased to see that you are one of the lucky ones who is able to get your baby OTJ. It's a long struggle and for some of us, the day won't come but I rejoice with every OTJ posting because it gives such hope to the newbies.

If there are any secrets to share, please send them on to Dude - although he's received multitudinous secrets and fails to listen to any of them - these meezers have a mind of their own.

Seriously, congratulations - great job - keep up the good work.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

16. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

Here are the key things that I did that helped us get here.

1. Home testing- if you aren't doing it, you need to start today. Blue started at one unit twice a day but it wasn't long until that needed to be lowered due to his low and fast nadirs. There would have been no way of knowing it was time to reduce without home testing and the result would not have been good. Make a routine and make sure to give lots of loves and maybe a treat afterwards and the cat won't look at it as something negative. I feel like home testing strengthened our relationship. It is scary at first but you can do it!

2. Cut out all dry food and stop with the DM or WD. When Blue was diagnosed he was in the 600's but once that was out of his system his average BG dropped 300 points. There is a great list on here - Janet and Binky's food list- and there you can see low carb every day wet cat foods. Not only are you saving money but it will be better for your cat. Make sure you read the warnings about changing over because their BG will drop and insulin dosage will need to be changed a bit.

3. Get a spreadsheet going, fill it out daily, link it in your signature (mine is below for those of you who would like to view it) and post what we call condos daily. Condos just let the board know the BG, the units, and any updates on your cat. Board members can then read it and give you the advice that you need.

4. Listen to this board. It was hard for me at first but the board was telling me almost the exact opposite than my vet. My head said listen to the vet but my gut said listen to the board. I followed my gut and truly believe that that is what got us where we are today.

Really that is all we did but each one is just as important as the other. I hope that that helps! Blue's spreadsheet is linked below in my signature for viewing as well. Good luck!

17. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Well said Alexia. And with those words of wisdom you are now an oldie and hope you stick around to share this with newbies.

18. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Congratulations to you both!!! :) That's wonderful news! :) *HUGS*

19. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

Thanks Hillary, I had a great teacher!!! ;-)

20. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

I just read Blues' SS. I am so amazed by how quickly the insulin treatment took hold in Blue. Only 2 months. That is absolutely amazing. I am just so happy for you and Blue.

21. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

:RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT Congrats to you

22. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

Thanks everyone! We are very, very excited.

23. RuthV

RuthV Member

Can we know your maintenance plan?

You've got to feel like you just got out of jail. I'm so happy for you and so inspired with hope.

RuthV

24. Iorwen & Tray

Iorwen & Tray Well-Known Member

CONGRATS!!

25. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

Here's what I did!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.