Itty, 1st dose eatting problem...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by vansplic, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vansplic

vansplic Member

Well, I tried to test and got blood on 3 of 4 attempts but not enough to test.

Itty started eating and I gave her the insulin without any problems... she didn't even seem to notice... she did stop eating though... Is it "normal" for them to stop eating after you distract them with a poke? should I have waited until she had eaten more of her meal? and yes, the Karo is at hand!!! nailbite_smile

2. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

I give Tinkles his shot while he is eating every time. It doesn't seem to bother him, but if it distracts her and she stops eating, maybe you can offer it to her again a little while later. Is she a good eater in general?

Don't be discouraged by the testing, it takes some practice. Are you using the lancet pen or are you free handing the lancet? I use the lancet pen, with the clear cap that came with it. I find that if you hold the pen against the ear for the count of 3 after you poke, the blood will form a nice size drop that is easy to test.

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

yes. Both of mine lie down and hold still when I pull up the scruff to give their shots. I am not sure why they stop and hold, but I sure do appreciate it.

And their ears 'learn' to bleed. It will get easier.

4. vansplic

vansplic Member

yes, she usually eats very well... she is not above taking on the 89lb dog for a morsel! I will try the pen, vet tech said to freehand... will keep everyone posted... but I am sure you have all figured that out by now. ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.