Itty's neurotic mom

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by vansplic, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vansplic

vansplic Member

OK this is not directly health related but seems to health related to the non medical forum... So, I am sorry if I have put it in the wrong place.

Is it normal to have people bail on you for chosing to take this on? The only *friend* I have that will discuss Itty with me right now is encouraging me to put her down. Everyone I talk to out side of here and my vet says she isn't worth the time or energy.

It started with the original vet who put her on Science Diet MD but gave me no information. yesterday when I broght her script to Walmart they refused to deal with it because they were "too busy". When I found someone who would fill it he asked if I was seriously going to pay that much for a cat.

OK, so I have NO clue how we are going to fudge the budget to cover the $600+ bills already this month. (other newbes... yes the first month is high but we also had a vet sending us in the wrong direction which has significantly added to the cost)

vet just called Ittys bg is 260 so they are strarting with one unit of insulin.

Anyway... is this the only safe place to talk about this??????

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It may be. Cat lovers are a strange breed - so to speak. Just know that you can come on this forum and rant and cry and you will get support.

On a side note - 260 at the vet - probably under stress is not a high number. Start hometesting, and you may find that the numbers you are getting at home will be lower - and they could require less insulin. It's something you need to be on top of....

3. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Itty's Mom,

You are in the right place and surrounded by lots of cat lovers who can totally understand what you are going through. And will support you through this. I am also very new to this since Curry was dx just last Friday and we just started the insulin Saturday. I find myself only sharing the information w/those who are also cat lovers....the other folks don't quite seem to understand. Yeah, the expenses this first month were high but will get lower as we go. I'm getting lots of good info here on where to go for the insulin, insulin needles and such. My vet's cost was a bit higher than what I can get online or at retail stores. The people here are absolutely wonderful so you've come to the right place.

Hang in there and ask as many questions as you need to or just come to vent/share/process.

4. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

I would take that complaint straight to their pharmacy manager. You are a paying customer and they have no right to refuse you service or ridicule you because they don't approve. That's not what they get paid for.

I would show the manager the amount that you spent and let him know you would be more than happy to hand that money over to another pharmacy with better customer service.

5. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

That sounds familiar.
    We are coming up on Luna's DX anniversary in a few days...one year ago, a sick kitty, dry vet food, and $600 later...sigh...

Big expensive at the time, and the only huge expense, thank God it was only once, after that and finding this board - big differences.

I have had several bad experiences at pharmacies looking at me weird and smirking as I ask for diabetic supplies, it's rude and obnoxious and if they don't like it - I go elsewhere. Even those who had no idea what I was asking for when it came to syringes. For goodness sake, you sell diabetic supplies and have no clue what syringe is which.
    Walk away, go somewhere else, lol.

Shame on them for treating you like that. But as Deanie says, there are plenty of other shops who will gladly take your business.

6. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree. I would complain to the pharmacy manager and also to the Walmart's corporate office.

7. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Well --- I don't discuss too much with family or friends other than needing to go home to shoot the cats. (yes - catS)

After my first diabetic cat passed away, my DH and I have adopted not one but TWO diabetic cats through this board.

There are ways to cut costs, and to some extent, headaches....

I order nearly all my diabetic supplies from www.hocks.com
    Lancets, test strips & meter, syringes, needle clipper, sharps container.

we just keep an eye on the supply level and order at least a week before we're going to run out.

I order multiples of each to reach the "Free Shipping" minimum order (~$79) and try to order similar amounts, so everything runs out at the same time.
    ~200 syringes
    ~300 lancets
    ~300 test strips
    (allows for 2 shots per day and 3 tests per day average)

I get insulin in the 5-pack of 3 ml cartridges - LEVEMIR - which will last me over a year. (levemir is not as fragile as lantus, so it lasts longer before "pooping out")

8. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

first off, i agree with Deanie about complaining to higher ups. that's bull!

i've found that about 90% of human beings are of the type that you have been encountering about this issue. needless to say, i've also let those 90% know that my cats, any cat, is way more important to me than they are sooooooooooooo, just remember that there's still another 10% out there that are much more decent people. be patient and you will find them :)

and fwiw, for hometesting, if $$ is super tight right now, you could get hold of lori and tom and see about getting a starter kit for hometesting

9. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

So wrong ......they are not only worth it but the bond created is so much stronger. I agree with all the others about the pharmacy. It is not their business to make comments if you are picking up meds for a cat, dog, bird, monkey...whatever!!!! So hard to find good homes for diabetic cats and your "friends" should be encouraging you, not putting you down, for being willing to treat Itty. FDMB was not out there for my first diabetic but it was when I adopted Baby(GA) and she became diabetic. Because of all I learned with Baby(GA) from FDMB, I adopted 3 more that are diabetic and they are all so worth it.

With a BG reading of only 260, with possible vet stress bumping it up, I will be glad when you get the meter and start hometesting. With a canned diet and some insulin in the beginning you may very well end up with a kitty that goes into remission. If not, it is very easy to treat and really the only time taken up is testing and shooting. Kudos to you for taking such good care of Itty.

10. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear that you are getting reactions like this. I talk about Muffin with everyone I know (and some people I don't). Of course my friends all either love their furkids as much as I love mine, or have long ago decided that I'm a little over the top about animals in general lol. I am grateful for all their support.

11. vansplic

vansplic Member

Thanks everyone!

The past few months have been crazy for our family for a variety of reasons... I REFUSE to kill a cat just because I have a bunch of other one time expences all at the same time. OK not to mention I couldn't do the grief right now! Yes, I have had to make the terrible choice to put a pet down but there were NO medical options available to provide a quality life and they had lived long past what others thought they should live.

All my pets (and even my son) are special needs adoptions... Like most things magical the big, flashing, neon "SOFTY" sign above my house seems to be visible only to children and animals! My guess is that once we get into the swing of things and it comes time for another family member that it will most likely be a diabetic cat (I have one drooler now and while I love her to death they are just not my thing). Even in the midst of our chaos it breaks my heart that I can not open up my home to that other kitty on the board looking for a furever home... But there is only room for four furkids on my lease and even that was like pulling teeth :( (and we are going to have to replace the carpet 'cuz Itty doesn't like the box right now).

So far I have not gotten any calls from the vet so my guess is that Itty did OK with the 1 unit of insulin :D

Are there any especially good places to find more info on having a diabetic kitty with 2 civilian cats? Omi, my 8 y/o orange tabby seems to be just fine going with the flow right now but is going to pitch a fit when we phase out her "crunchies" (kibble). Emma, my ~7 y/o calico could care less but has gained some weight on the new food. I have always been very careful about my pets weight and don't want to create problems. also, I have always free fed dry and supplimented with wet... Itty is tiny (4lb 3oz) so she can use to gain a few pounds so I have been told it is OK to continue to free feed. Can wet food be left out? I know that the raw food can't. Wet food only has about a 2 minute life expectancy in my house currently once the can is open!

Has anyone used one of those thingies that holds the ear and lights up so you can see the vein? Itty has black ears so I was thinking it may be helpful but I am not sure I am that coordinated!

thanks!
    Cam & Itty

12. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

well, this is a good place to discuss multi-cat households... Along with the two diabetics, I have 3 civilian cats.

At my house, everyone gets Wellness canned food -- left out 24 hours per day. The Wellness is not quite enough calories for two of my civilians -- so we go in the bathroom and they get each get 1/8c of either Wilderness dry (18% carbs) or EVO dry (8% carbs). It seems to help them pick up weight a little faster, and is easier than giving them Fancy Feast (all cats start screaming for FFFFFFF!!!!!!)

We use a headlamp (our first diabetic cat, Norton, was black). We bought it from REI - basically a flashlight on a headband.

I did just order the ILLUMA-VEIN to try it. Hasn't arrived yet.

13. Tena and Curry(GA)

A headlamp. That might help me w/poking Curry. The ottoman where we do procedures, treats and hanging out doesn't have very much light. Great idea.

14. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

15. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Absolutely take it to the manager, because that's not normal customer service behavior! I use the Walmart pharmacy in my town for Bandit and they're absolutely fine with it. I was nervous when I first got my insulin and syringes, and one of the pharmacy employees told me not to worry because they get *a lot* of pet prescriptions. Or you could switch pharmacies. I found that places like CVS might seem more expensive, but they have special coupons they use for people who don't have health insurance. They used one of those for my Lantus last time, and it actually came out to be slightly cheaper than Walmart. I'm lucky that I live in an extremely cat-friendly city (except for the crazies that try to feed their cats vegan diets), but if you shop around enough in any town I'm sure you'll find a pharmacy that has experience with pet prescriptions. Expecially the big box store pharmacies like K-mart or Target.

I had the same reaction from my older brother when I told him about Bandit, and everything I had to do for him to get his diabetes under control. He said, "Why don't you just put him down?". I responded with, "If you had diabetes would you want someone to put you down?" And then I explained that cats with diabetes can live perfectly normal, healthy lives just like people do as long as you treat the diabetes the with the same care people do.

16. vansplic

vansplic Member

You guys are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other good news... Last week I had set up a massage therapy appointment for myself next tuesday as a reward for surviving summer vacation with my son (school out here starts Aug 10th?!?!?!)... Given the current situation I called and canciled it... within an hour I got a call back letting me know that it was crazy to cancil the appointment... My massage therapist (a cat person herself) would "not dream of making me choose between self care and my cat" then... "given how stressed you were before there is no way it would be good for you or your cat for you not to come in"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO... If I can't help myself otherwise... Itty will get a much needed break from my stalking Tuesday... and a much more relaxed mom! Needless to say that threw me into another hour long bout of crying! ;-)

It is nearing time to pick Itty up from the vet... I think I am ready... meds for moms stress headache and anxiety, glucose meter, alcohol swabs, insulin, suringes, lancets, sugar stuff if we go hypo, neosporin, vets personal cell number (LOVE my "new" vet), emergency number to the clinic. am I missing anything???? I know I don't have a spread sheet set up yet (I used to know how to ese excel) so that will be my project for this evening.

Another question... Itty is only 4lb so a little weight loss is a big deal... should I get a baby scale so I can better stay on top of her weight? if so, anyone know where to get one?

And on a less serious note... Is there a FDMB addictions/12 step program???? I was terrified of forgetting her insulin but I have been on here at least once an hour all day! :lol:

17. Tena and Curry(GA)

Self_care is important so I'm glad to hear that you are giving yourself permission to get the well deserved massage. Yeah for you.

I did buy the baby scales awhile back to watch Curry's weight. Its been very helpful, especially now that she is dx w/diabetes.

18. Tena and Curry(GA)

I can't remember where I bought baby scales....there are a ton of them at Amazon.com. You might want to ask your Vet what they use and compare prices.

19. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Taking care of yourself is VERY important, you need that massage! A few more things for the supply list....test strips (didn't see them on your list), treats for Itty (test rewards), chocolate or a bottle of your favorite alcoholic beverage (reward for the tester!) :mrgreen:

You're doing great! :D

Link to directions for setting up SS: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207&start=0

20. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

Also, when i would run into those people who told me i was wasting my money, i would tell them that it was my paycheck, i earned it and i had the right to do what I wanted with it. I told them they only had permission to tell me how to handle my finances when they were directly contributing to them. I also asked if they would like me to critique any of their spending habits.

That usually stopped them in their tracks and kept them from making any further comments.

21. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

it's all on it's way cam. the ever important rice sock, the lancets, the glucometer, the strips, a toy :D and believe me you may never have to go to your vet again (barring other health issues) but for diabetes we totally have you covered.
    call me if you need to talk about the testing. just send me a pm and i will send you my #.
    and with itty being so young i said i would'nt be at all surprised if his diabetes is transient.
    lori and tom
    the pm button below will allow you to send a private message, when i answer it will show up on you upper left screen as new message ok.

22. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

we use a kitchen scale for weighing our kitties. DH got one that weighs up to 20 lbs, and instead of the small measuring container, we put on a small baking sheet for the kitty to stand on.

23. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

If you decide to move your RX to another pharmacy check prices because they vary alot. Look for one that gives you something with a transfer. Some will give you a $20 gift card with a transferred prescription. BTW, you don't have to be a member to use Costco's pharmacy.

24. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry that you have had a bad experience with "friends" not understanding your wanting to treat a diabetic kitty. I guess I was lucky when Muse was dxed because both my mother and father-in-law are diabetics. Now most of my friends know I'm crazy...lol But they also know who to call when they have a kitty the "needs" rescuing. DH has finally banned me from going anywhere that might possibly have a cat, dog, rat, horse, elephant or zebra that needs a home..lol.

As far as dealing with a Diabetic and civies when we still had Muse with us, we also had 8 civies, at first we went through wet food at an alarming rate until the civies figured out that it wasn't just a treat and that it would be there all day. They do eventually slow down on the food, I promise.

Mel & Muse (GA) civies: Onyx, Amon Ra, Patches, Casper, Bert, Tre'Vona, Sophia, Angel, Duvessa, & Elektra and the drooler King

25. vansplic

vansplic Member

Itty is home and a little unsettled from her day. Until the vet tech asked I totally forgot that in high school I used to help vacinate the horses so I had done intravenus and intramuscular injection before... both, according to the vet tech, are a lot more difficult than insulin injections. :mrgreen: Itty and Holly (a black lab who selflessly volunteered to be my "lab" rat (sorry... bad pun... couldn't resist)) were troopers. Mom however puked from stressing herself out all day.

9pm... first home dose... 9:05 drinking24

and I do have test strips just forgot to list them!... off to make a rice sock.

thanks for all the support!

26. Tena and Curry(GA)

Great job Itty's mom and Itty!!!!!!

Get a good night's rest. You both deserve it.

27. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hey cam, great start! why did i run out to the post office before work this morning to get your newbie kit out? i guess if you really don't need it you can just return to sender or something. or keep it as back-up.
    i felt itty needed it right away so i jumped up this morning to get it to him (and you)
    you are waaayyyyy ahead of me. :mrgreen:

28. vansplic

vansplic Member

sorry! asked for one becuse we are struggling but I got too scared of giving insulin without one! so I will have it sent back :mrgreen:

29. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

it you want to keep it as back up go ahead...if you do send it back then just don't accept it.
    i am impressed with the speed you got into gear with. you are really doing great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.